Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2019, 05:17 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.4
State: Maryland
THOR #6722
Water Heater blues

Pilot to hot water heater is out (as evidenced by the red light on the control panel). The furnace starts but blows cold air for about a minute, before shutting off.

Are these related?

How do I relight the pilot for the water heater?

Does anyone know what type of water heater is in a Thor ACE 29.4?
Thanks as always!

Old 10-20-2019, 05:24 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Is your propane valve open?
Old 10-20-2019, 06:54 PM   #3

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Not familiar with your coach but I thought all of these water heaters had electronic lighters. The red light indicates water heater is using propane to heat. Light on 110 means electric to heat
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:19 PM   #4

THOR #6722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Is your propane valve open?
Yes and all the over burners lit when I tried them.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:16 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
You don't have any pilot lights (except maybe in your oven).

The water heater "Pilot light out" LED is a hold-over from the days of pilot lights but what it means with today's water heaters is that you have an error in the logic of the circuitry that lights and runs your water heater on propane. Essentially: if the circuitry tried to light your water heater on propane through 3 cycles and failed to see that it was lit you get the error indication and it quits trying until you reset it by turning the "gas" switch off, and then back on again.

There's two ways this could be related to your furnace issue:

Both use propane but apparently your valve is open and the stove burners light and run fine - so not likely a propane issue.

Both use 12 VDC for control power to their circuitry including power to open the electric valves that allow propane to the appliance (as does you fridge if it is a standard RV absorption fridge). Hows your house battery voltage?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:46 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Is this the first time you have used the water heater and furnace? Does the refer work on propane? Do you have 12 volt power? If you do, you may have air in the propane lines. I was told by an old propane guy that sometimes air gets in the lines and it has to be purged but the electronics of the propane appliances see it as a fault. This happened to me once and the fix was super easy. I lit the burners on the stove and let them burn for 5 minutes, then tried the water heater. Once the water heater fired and the fault light went out, I fired the furnace. Then the refer. Not saying it can't happen, but the chance of two or three appliances crapping out at the same time are slim.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:56 AM   #7

THOR #6722
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
You don't have any pilot lights (except maybe in your oven).

The water heater "Pilot light out" LED is a hold-over from the days of pilot lights but what it means with today's water heaters is that you have an error in the logic of the circuitry that lights and runs your water heater on propane. Essentially: if the circuitry tried to light your water heater on propane through 3 cycles and failed to see that it was lit you get the error indication and it quits trying until you reset it by turning the "gas" switch off, and then back on again.

There's two ways this could be related to your furnace issue:

Both use propane but apparently your valve is open and the stove burners light and run fine - so not likely a propane issue.

Both use 12 VDC for control power to their circuitry including power to open the electric valves that allow propane to the appliance (as does you fridge if it is a standard RV absorption fridge). Hows your house battery voltage?
Brand new house batteries
Old 10-21-2019, 11:57 AM   #8

THOR #6722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Is this the first time you have used the water heater and furnace? Does the refer work on propane? Do you have 12 volt power? If you do, you may have air in the propane lines. I was told by an old propane guy that sometimes air gets in the lines and it has to be purged but the electronics of the propane appliances see it as a fault. This happened to me once and the fix was super easy. I lit the burners on the stove and let them burn for 5 minutes, then tried the water heater. Once the water heater fired and the fault light went out, I fired the furnace. Then the refer. Not saying it can't happen, but the chance of two or three appliances crapping out at the same time are slim.
The water heater and furnace have been working fine. Will try and relight the stove and let it run for several minutes.

We noticed something strange though when I went to turn the propane on...someone (we recently had the RV at a shop for emergency slide topper repair) had turned the propane knob all the way on (it only needs to be turned a quarter turn). Neither my wife or I did it. Wonder if that could have contributed to air in the line?
Old 10-21-2019, 06:04 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleypsychRN View Post
The water heater and furnace have been working fine. Will try and relight the stove and let it run for several minutes.

We noticed something strange though when I went to turn the propane on...someone (we recently had the RV at a shop for emergency slide topper repair) had turned the propane knob all the way on (it only needs to be turned a quarter turn). Neither my wife or I did it. Wonder if that could have contributed to air in the line?
No, it is supposed to be all the way on so the backseat prevents leaks around the stem.

And new batteries does not mean charged batteries.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 01:45 PM   #10

THOR #6722
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
No, it is supposed to be all the way on so the backseat prevents leaks around the stem.

And new batteries does not mean charged batteries.

Point well taken, no the house batteries are fully charged
Old 10-24-2019, 03:29 PM   #11

THOR #6722
Propane is reading empty (duh). Going top have it filled tomorrow. Probably the reason...will update after I have a chance to retry it.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:31 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Let's hope that this is the problem: it's the easiest one to solve!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 12:16 PM   #13

THOR #6722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Let's hope that this is the problem: it's the easiest one to solve!
Yes, when I got Propane heater fired right up. Learning more and more every day...
Old 10-26-2019, 07:39 PM   #14

State: New Mexico
THOR #13420
My Hurricane 29M had similar issue act like it was going to light but not ignition, I had gas. Ended up being the mother board, so on input from this forum someone suggested going with "Dinosaur Board" vs factory replacement. I had good results in the past with a toy hauler w/ Dinosaur Board so I went in that direct and not had a problem.

Thank you to all the people on the forum who have been helpful in resolving our issues, and for all the cool upgrades they share.

Lonnie
Old 10-26-2019, 07:41 PM   #15

Model: Windsport 29m
State: Idaho
THOR #5564
Bad Connections

Check all your line connections. When my RV was new I found several loose line connections, the one to the main tank was only finger tight and leaking. Just snug them down with correct fitting wrench and test wit leak detector or soapy water.

2017 Windsport 29m
2017 Chev Colorado Crew Cab Diesel 4X4 Toad
pengoquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:02 PM   #16

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Arizona
THOR #6311
Reasons for failure to light refer, stove and furnace

My 07 Vegas has a simple reason for these appliances to fail lighting. When the coach was built they put the walls up, strung all the wiring and propane lines. They then installed the kitchen cabinets and pinched the propane lines between the wall and cabinet, the only way to fix it was to cut out the old hoses and install a complete new set.

Hope your problem is easier than that to find!