Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2019, 01:55 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Trimark latch fail

Sometimes the worst thing happens at the best time! While the Thor rep was speaking to our rally group on Saturday, Mrs S texted me that she was "locked" in our Vegas. I skipped out for a few minutes and quickly ascertained that I wasn't going to get it open from the outside either. When our Thor rep was finished with the group presentation, he grabbed his power screwdriver and followed me to my campsite. Nothing like having one of Thor's top 4 mechanics working on my problem!

I got a great photo of him about halfway into the curbside window, but decided against posting it. He quickly disassembled the latch and lock mechanism and removed the flimsy pot metal plunger that had broken. When reassembled without the plunger, we can secure the door with the deadbolt, which got us home OK.

After sticker shock from a new digital latch, $260 again from just a replacement from that big bad dealership, $190, I left the solution until Monday. On Monday, I called Kevin at TriMark and he acknowledged the problem and said all their units come with a steel plunger now. He suggested a very workable solution that made me happy.

I promised him I wouldn't post the phone number but will tell you that I found it on the WinneOwners.com forum.

The same thing happened with our previous 2007 coach only I was the one inside that time. That time, I got the latch assembly open from the inside and still it wouldn't release. Friends ended up removing the door to get the latch released. Same Trimark pot metal crap.

Turns out Thor had a choice to put in the steel model, but chose to save a few coins. Grrrrrrrr.

Scott, the Thor rep, made a lot of folks happy that day with quick fixes and solutions, but none more so than Mrs S!

Old 10-08-2019, 11:12 AM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Nothing makes a problem more entertaining than timeliness!
Glad to hear that you didn't have to crawl through any windows!
Old 10-08-2019, 12:18 PM   #3

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
If it has to break couldn’t ask for a more opportune time!
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:27 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
It's about like getting hit by a car in the Hospital parking lot...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:01 PM   #5

Model: Windsport 27K
THOR #2154
Does anyone know if the steel plunger can be gotten from TriMark, so that just that one piece can be replaced? Why should we have to buy a complete replacement mechanism when it's a $1 (max) part that will fix this? Do you have Kevin's direct extension?
Old 10-08-2019, 05:44 PM   #6

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N3EQF View Post
Does anyone know if the steel plunger can be gotten from TriMark, so that just that one piece can be replaced? Why should we have to buy a complete replacement mechanism when it's a $1 (max) part that will fix this? Do you have Kevin's direct extension?

Well I think you answered your own question.....why make $1 when you can make $140 + shipping by gouging owners for something that should have been replaced free on a recall. Obviously some folks got a good deal while others paid full price. When new RV buyers ask if the door lock is made by Trimark and walk away if it is.....maybe something will change; not likely to happen though.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:42 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I mentioned the Tri-Mark latch during the delivery of our RV. The fellow who was handling the delivery just sort of shrugged his shoulders, and had nothing to say about it...
Old 10-08-2019, 06:57 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Many have called Trimark and gotten the steel latch free. About have half the problems have need caused by the plastic guide that holds the pin breaking in half. There have been a handful of other problems with the Trimark door locks such as incorrect adjustment of the guide pins, closing the door with the unlatch handle and loose screws jamming the lock. All have been documented on this site. My opinion is that the door latch should maintained just like any other moving part of the coach. I have taking mine apart twice to clean, check and lubricate the latch. I don't want to experience the wrath of my wife locked in the coach or my frustration in not checking something I know is prone to failure.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:51 PM   #9

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
Exclamation

A little off topic, but this is just one more reason why I insist that any RVs we buy have more than just one door.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:09 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I've got three: if you ever feel the need to borrow one...
Old 10-08-2019, 11:10 PM   #11

Model: Chateau 31W
State: Minnesota
THOR #14057
Sorry to hear about that MR S.

I too have 3 doors. I have heard of coach doors blowing closed and jamming/locking and the chassis doors are locked,,IE locked out.

When we set up camp I lock the cab doors. I latch a carabiner to my belt loop that has the ignition key and compartment key. Should a misfortune happen with the coach door, we can always get it via the cab. Having the compartment key as well allows me not to have the cluster of keys and fob to carry around.

JJ and PJ
FMCA F496287
JJMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:57 PM   #12

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:

No, they don't sell just the plunger that broke. However, TriMark treated me right. Tom, look for a PM from me...
Old 10-16-2019, 07:25 PM   #13

State: Ohio
THOR #12388
Not locked in, locked out!

I had the same kind of thing happen on my Palazzo. I had it running and stepped out to double check everything before I pulled out. Went back and I couldn't get the door open. The handle worked but it no longer retracted the latch.

Luckily I was able to fashion a bent piece of wire and stick it in the crack between the door and door frame and push the latch back. Once I got the door open and realized what happened I took the lock apart and removed the broken latch and the spring. After that I could only keep the door closed with the deadbolt.

Left about 45 minutes later than I planned. Used it with just the deadbolt holding the door shut until the dealer was able to order a replacement latch.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:40 PM   #14

State: Alabama
THOR #3772
I have had my door lock replaced twice! The original lock broke off into the door frame and it took the RV service center 30 minutes to dig it out, leaving the frame in a mess. I thought the 2nd lock looked more secure and I wouldn't have that problem again - not so. The adjustable screws jammed in the catch on the door frame. The mobile repairman said make sure to tighten them every so often and keep them tight. Another serviceman had told me I could adjust them to make it easier to open and close the door. So that's why they jammed. Wish these RV repair places would train their workers with the right information! It isn't the first time I have received opposing advice!
Old 10-16-2019, 11:09 PM   #15

THOR #12335
Always leave a window unlocked!!

And go out with your keys to get to ladder!!
Old 10-16-2019, 11:59 PM   #16

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Called Trimark with an issue of mine occasionally malfunctioning...they immediately responded...we'll send you a new assembly out tomorrow. No problems...excellent customer service. Not a Thor issue but vendor steps up to the plate with a Silver Bat.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:30 AM   #17

State: Illinois
THOR #15910
Tri-mark no help here

I had a latch fail on a 2016 Ace a month or so ago. Everyone locked inside at 10 pm. Got out with a pair of scissors and got home. Emailed back and forth with Tri-Mark and was given the impression they were going to replace it, only to be quoted full price for a replacement lock. Emailed back politely that if I had to buy a new one it wouldn’t be a Tri-Mark. Ended up purchasing an electronic lock from another manufacturer. No more Tri-Mark for me! Definitely wish I would have got your guy!!!
Old 10-17-2019, 12:48 AM   #18

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
A simple email did it for me. I got a response quickly and the new lock arrived in a few days. I told them it had not broken but sent a picture of the inside of the lock showing the serial number. I still have the old unbroken lock in a box in the garage.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:17 AM   #19
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
What would it really take for Thor & Trimark getting together and offering on this forum the information for the .25 cent defective plunger part replacement?
Is it really worth it to them, someone burning to death, trapped, breaking a hip or worst ...climbing out windows?
By giving the ones who know "the secret phone number" or "secret hand shake" the new part for FREE.
They already have admitted the guilt of a defective part of the lock by doing so.
Seriously makes you think what kind of Company this really is?
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 02:31 AM   #20

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Absolutely agree with you revjeffrey. Thor may feel no obligation for coach safety because of 1 year warranties (or less) that they consider absolution of their responsibility, but Trimark has made even more profit for those of us who paid for a replacement......and it will be interesting to see if the steel latch replacement lock mechanism also has components that fail, as noted by some folks. In my book, safety is and should always be a top priority for any product manufacturer.