Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2014, 07:50 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: New Hampshire
THOR #1159
Tuscany w/electrical issues

Has anyone experienced a problem like the one I will describe. A week ago I entered the RV & hit the switch for the passenger floor/step & raised it. Tried to retract it & it is stuck in the raised position. Needless to say, dangerous to get in & out or the RV. Next started the engine, & within minutes, the voltmeter guage went passed 17V, the led info read high battery volts & the check engine & abs lights came on. Took the RV to Freightliner & they say it must have something to do with the reason the step is not retracting & said their tests on the alternator were fine. My issue is will I do any damage driving the RV about 45 miles to my nearest dealer for service. Any comments appreciated.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:32 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
The only thing I can think of that would cause such a symptom would be the regulator - which is atttached to (or part of) the alternator on smaller vehicles but might be a separate unit on large rigs. Do you know if Freightliner checked the regulator (not just the alternator).

I know on smaller alternators, should the battery become disconnected while the engine is running, the voltage will increase to 60V or so. But this is a temporary condition, as the high voltage will almost immediately fry the diodes in the regulator.

But not knowing big rigs, perhaps there is a protection circuit to keep this from occuring.

I would be wary about driving it. Call your dealer and ask them to make a house call.

But my money is on something battery/engine alternator related.