Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2016, 02:16 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 22E
State: West Virginia
THOR #3119
TV antenna stuck

I had a problem with my TV antenna today. I raised it last night and today before I got on the road I tried to lower it and it would not budge. I made sure it was aligned in the proper direction but the crank would not move. I went up on the roof and popped the 2 pins that hold it to its mount to check for trash in the gear and while I was there I put some wax lube on them. There was nothing there and I could not find any reason for it not to lower. I put it back together and it worked like a charm. Now I am bit worried that it might happen again for no reason and next time it might be raining or dark out and not so easy to fix. Has anyone else had this problem, if so did you ever find a reason for it.

Old 09-27-2016, 03:03 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
Did you have the antenna oriented in the proper storage position before attempting to lower it. Also might add that the cranks are very venerable to breakage. On our units, there is no guard on the leading edge of the antenna so any low hanging branches will peal it back and leave you with a twisted aluminum mess even with it down and stored. Ask me how I know. My replacement head arrives Friday.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:43 AM   #3

THOR #3119
Yes I did check the orientation. I even climbed up on the roof to see if anything was stuck between the 2 posts. I did notice that both the worm gear and the 1/4 circle gear that attaches to the post are both plastic. I am wondering if a stiff wind could cause the gear teeth to deform and lock up. I also noticed that one gear looks like it has some UV fading and am hoping it does not get brittle. I have to find a plastic safe, sticky grease to coat these gears.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:38 AM   #4

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
Straight silicon.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:35 PM   #5

Model: Windsport 27K
THOR #2154
By coincidence had a similar problem recently; tried to lower the antenna and I thought for sure it was stuck and that I would break the handle. I had never lubed the gearing up on the roof, and found the gears bone dry. Silicon lube applied, ran the antenna up and down a few times, and it is smooth as silk now.

My own fault; the crank handle even has a reminder to lube the gears every six months!
Old 09-28-2016, 05:16 PM   #6
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by samven View Post
Yes I did check the orientation. I even climbed up on the roof to see if anything was stuck between the 2 posts. I did notice that both the worm gear and the 1/4 circle gear that attaches to the post are both plastic. I am wondering if a stiff wind could cause the gear teeth to deform and lock up. I also noticed that one gear looks like it has some UV fading and am hoping it does not get brittle. I have to find a plastic safe, sticky grease to coat these gears.
Ron has used Silicon Spray for years on the antenna and all rubber...
and yes...make sure that thing is down as low as it will go...speaking from experience !! We now have the King Jack which, only, rotates.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:39 PM   #7

THOR #3119
Thanks guys,
This was probably my fault as I had not lubed the gears since I got the unit 18 months ago and it probably sat on the dealer lot 6 mos before I bought it. I put bicycle chain wax based lube on it this time as its all I had with me that I thought would be safe on plastic but I will get some silicon grease right away.
I should have realized they would not have printed that warning if they did not mean it but that gear is sooo easy to over look when your doing normal maint.