Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2018, 02:31 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane
State: California
THOR #6038
2017 Hurricane 29M

Where would my splitter be? Anyone know? I usually only get 8 channels or so on air. Not many more on cable (even with the booster on) even though RV Resort says we should be getting about 24 on cable. I know how to change from air to cable on TV and run scans both ways as appropriate.

Thanks All!!

Old 07-29-2018, 03:16 AM   #22

State: Kansas
THOR #12311
Thank you everybody for your suggestions
Old 07-29-2018, 03:22 AM   #23

Model: ACE 27.2
State: Colorado
THOR #11875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amespa View Post
Where would my splitter be? Anyone know? I usually only get 8 channels or so on air. Not many more on cable (even with the booster on) even though RV Resort says we should be getting about 24 on cable. I know how to change from air to cable on TV and run scans both ways as appropriate.

Thanks All!!
If you have a recent model, ie, 3 yrs or newer, there should be a choice on the TV menu, Setup, or Menu. to select which device you are trying to access. I've notices some "new" really cheap TV's don't have any features other than what comes in through the Coax, but even then, it should receive whatever is in the coax. Antenna, Cable, SAT, etc.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:01 AM   #24

Brand: DRV
Model: ES 38RSSA
State: Montana
THOR #5034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amespa View Post
Where would my splitter be? Anyone know? I usually only get 8 channels or so on air. Not many more on cable (even with the booster on) even though RV Resort says we should be getting about 24 on cable. I know how to change from air to cable on TV and run scans both ways as appropriate. Thanks All!!
OK, so this is usually referred to as a booster join-tenna / polyswitch in that it can merge two discrete inputs to generally 2 outputs.
Behind the wall there are connections for OTA, and perhaps park cable or external Sat. connection. There is also another feed to a (bedroom?) TV.
Amp ON enables the OTA booster. Off allows throughput of cable or Sat. to both TVs.

*The TV near this plate connects to the F-connector via coax, to the TVs F-coax (NTSC) connection. Other HD items may be using HDMI.

You'll need to, through ea. TVs setup menu, select source, TV/ OTA or cable, As opposed to HDMI. Then run a channel scan for each of these modes of operation (OTA or cable, source material).
Best of luck
DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali 3500HD-Max 4x, CC, 8' DRW
EZGo-TXT, Yamaha-G22E, CC Precedent
mtntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 02:26 PM   #25

State: British Columbia
THOR #2763
We had the same problem in reverse: antenna was good but nothing showed up on cable. Tried everything then finally replaced the splitter box. Found it under the bed in our Citation and swapped it out with a new one from Home Depot. Presto! Lots of clear channels when we’re plugged in at a campground! Still nothing worth watching though...
Old 07-29-2018, 11:13 PM   #26

Model: chateau 23U
State: Florida
THOR #1241
Winegard Cable connector on Thor problematic!

One of the many (>20) defects on delivery of my 23U was that off-the-air reception only worked near the transmitter. Upon further inspection, I discovered that the Yahoos (advisedly-stated) at Thor used a screw-on connector on the roof coax cable to connect to the Winegard antenna cable. (This is the most problematic kind of connector, but requires minimal skill and cost to install.) The connector made no contact with the coax cable's (RG-6 or RG-59, but who cares?) shield and supplied no power to the roof-top antenna amplifier. No juce, no amplification, no signal. I replaced the connector with a compression F-connector and now enjoy all the rubbish on TV (and am somewhat sorry it's fixed).

To check if this is the problem, unscrew the F-connector on the antenna head and measure the voltage between center connector and the threaded housing. It should be around 12 VDC. If it is not, fix it yourself, buy your geek friend a glass of wine after he replaced the connector and returns safely on the ground, or get into the long queue at you dealer to have them install a proper f-connector.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:01 PM   #27

Model: ace 27.2
State: New York
THOR #9334
Smile

Happened this weekend. I simply unplugged the DVR and reran the channel search and it found 14 channels. No idea why but it worked 2x.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:04 PM   #28
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:25 AM   #29

State: North Carolina
THOR #11045
we did as well until upgrading to a King Mast. Now we get more free TV than we can handle.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:27 AM   #30

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
I was never able to get over the air reception until I discovered I was running through the scan with the booster button off. After that I have been able to pick up a few decent channels everywhere we have been. Cable is not so good.

Tags
reception