Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2018, 06:15 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Kansas
THOR #12311
Tv rec

Anybody else have the problem of no over the air tv channels, scan all I want but zero over the air channels. Light on booster is on everything is hooked up antenna up, nothing, have been in campgrounds in 3 states this week other campers have no problems

Old 07-12-2018, 06:38 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
My external antenna can be spun around a bit: have you tried doing that with yours?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:40 PM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #2878
I've had the same problem with various motorhomes. I can't get any reception at home and very limited around the country. I've tried rotating and searching until am blue in the face. Thank goodness for DVD's and park cable!
Old 07-12-2018, 07:14 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I almost forgot...

Welcome to the forum!
Old 07-12-2018, 07:45 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjatoto View Post
Anybody else have the problem of no over the air tv channels, scan all I want but zero over the air channels. Light on booster is on everything is hooked up antenna up, nothing, have been in campgrounds in 3 states this week other campers have no problems
Not knowing the specifics of your RV, here are some things to check. 1st check that you have over air cables to your TV(s), check your TV to ensure you are using the correct input for over air antenna. You can also unscrew the booster and ensure the cable is attached there too. The last thing I would try is going up on the roof and ensure the cable is attached to the antenna. You can also buy a cheap over air antenna if you don't have one and connect it to the TV and see if you can get any channels that way. Since you get no channels at all, I would think it may be the TV input is incorrect. It could also be a bad cable. I had a bad HDMI cable in mine and Thor had to replace it.

Good luck with it.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:31 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Also, in the line of "is it plugged in", do you have your booster turned on or off?

Using antenna = booster on, using park's cable = booster off.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:52 PM   #7
lug

Model: ACE 32.1
THOR #11442
The pictures are of an Axxera tv. Make sure it says Air and not Cable. I did that once until I realized that the tv was doing exactly what I was incorrectly asking it to do.
That pretty little light just means signal booster has power and is on. If the cables are loose, missing or disconnected that light won't throw you a hint that something is wrong. Go there and then hunt for the splitter('s). I figure you already checked the TV end.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180713_123828.jpeg
Views:	254
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	11399Click image for larger version

Name:	20180713_123841.jpeg
Views:	239
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	11400
Old 07-13-2018, 08:22 PM   #8

THOR #12311
It’s a 2015 ACE we have been able to use the tv two weeks ago so I know it works I checked all the connections at the tv , booster and antenna , the booster light is on but the last two camping trips other people beside us have reception but we can’t
Old 07-14-2018, 01:37 AM   #9
lug

Model: ACE 32.1
THOR #11442
Any idea who the antenna manufacturer is? Winegard made mine, Rayzar f1, which is on an 2018 ACE 32.1. Winegard has a 5 year parts warranty and a toll free number for help.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:38 AM   #10

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
All good suggestions so far. One more thing you might check. Somewhere there is a splitter to distribute the signal from the booster to the TVs. The splitter on our Vegas is behind the microwave. When I pulled the microwave out, I found all the connections on the splitter and the booster were loose. I'd check that and the connection on the antenna before suspecting a bad antenna.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:28 AM   #11

State: California
THOR #10354
cable vs off-air TV signals

The digital cable system requires a television with a QAM tuner. You must check ... the-air digital TV transition do not include a QAM tuner, be sure to verify the specifications from the external tuner

My 2017 Vegas 25.2 has the basic TVs by seike (or some name like that) and they all work fine with over the air reception. I have not tried them on a cable system so I do not know if they have the QAM tuner but I have heard some people say that their very basic TVs do not.

You should be getting something over the air even with a very basic TV antenna (they can be very small now because the over the air TV signals are using higher frequencies than in the old days (10 years ago or so). Take your home tv out to the RV to check your antenna amplifier and it's antenna viabilities.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:17 PM   #12

Model: Tuscany xte
State: Alaska
THOR #12351
had that problem. shop couldn't seem to fix. took splitter out of the equation an went from 2 very poor channels to 56 channels so I replaced the splitter and have great reception. 2014 Tuscany
Old 07-17-2018, 10:47 PM   #13

THOR #12311
Splitter seemed to be the problem thanks everybody
Old 07-18-2018, 11:52 PM   #14

Model: ACE 27.2
State: Colorado
THOR #11875
I don't get anything either, and have re-scanned with my antenna rotated every 15 degrees or so. Nothing. At home, some 20 ft away I get maybe 6 usable channels since we are too close to the mountain where the broadcast antenna are on... we're in a "shadow". But should get something I would think.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:00 AM   #15

Model: Axis 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #4802
You didn't state what type or brand of antenna you have. My Axis came with a King Jack TV antenna. I had same problem and one dealer replaced the power module (aka the "Booster"). That didn't work. I checked my antenna myself and found it had power via the coax cable all the way to the antenna itself but the antenna itself was defective. I contacted the King Jack people and they sent me a new replacement antenna, free, which I installed myself, even tho my unit was still under factory warranty. I, frankly, was disgusted with the crappy and incompetent service done by America Choice RV in Ocala, FL. My TV's have worked perfectly since I changed out the antenna.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:45 PM   #16

State: Arizona
THOR #6671
Is your coach wired for cable? Our Quantum is. And there is a button we have to push to switch between air and cable. If it is in cable mode, you will see zero channels with air search ......
Old 07-28-2018, 07:23 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjatoto View Post
Splitter seemed to be the problem thanks everybody
Glad to hear that you found and fixed the issue!
Old 07-28-2018, 08:08 PM   #18

Model: ACE 27.2
State: Colorado
THOR #11875
It just has coax, I assume from the antenna, though it may not be connected. There's an outside coax hook up for when camping, receive whatever the camp site has thru the coax, and the input (hdmi 1 hemi 2, TV, DVD, etc, is selected via a menu on the TV.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:02 AM   #19

Model: Axis 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #8306
Rare, but there are some areas there is absolutely nothing (channels).
Not getting them where you once did, would be problematic.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:31 AM   #20

State: Georgia
THOR #8022
I had no cable on bed room and bunks and found out that the cable was not stripped back far enough to make good contact , this was on the splitter on that side of the coach.

Tags
reception