Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2019, 06:25 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Nevada
THOR #5601
Chateau SB35 Generator issues

Planning a trip this July and when I went to my storage to start her up and test it all the generator will start but shut itself off within 5 seconds....both diesel tanks are full, cant figure it out... she did go under fixing last season as we were having inverter and charging issues....the genny worked perfectly proor...

Old 06-05-2019, 02:35 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
I see you have no responses so far......so lets try helping:
Starts OK and runs 5 seconds, then dies......sounds like it ran out of fuel as a first WAG. I assume you primed it first? Does it start OK on a second try and do you have to re-prime it again? Possibly a failing fuel pump or plugged fuel filter? You could try to remove the fuel line after the pump and crank starter to see what kind of fuel flow you get into a bucket. The other thing is check your oil level in case you are equipped with low oil shutoff.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:48 AM   #3

THOR #5601
Thank you, yes, it will have the same syndrome every time, I'll look for the pump's location and follow your advise
Old 06-05-2019, 09:15 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Sounds like low oil level
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:57 AM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
The diesel gen is self priming...hold the button until it starts...so improper priming isn't an issue. The delay is mostly waiting on glow plugs to warm up. My guess also is low oil or insufficient fuel delivery. It takes a few seconds for the engine to reach proper oil pressure...if it doesn't, it will shut down. Call Cummins/Onan...they are great at helping over the phone....of course, after you check the oil level.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:25 AM   #6

THOR #5601
Well....the bad news are....it is the inverter....the good news (I hope) extended warranty is kicking in....being that it is a 4000 fix.....I might be extremely lucky
Old 07-12-2019, 01:41 PM   #7

THOR #5601
Well...day before our trip the motorhome was ready to be picked up, grabbed it from cummins, but....home batteries wont charge now and E01 and E02 errors are showing.....wtf! It all worked before going into the generator fix.....any ideas?
Old 07-12-2019, 02:35 PM   #8

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
I am not an inverter expert but E01 and 02 are opposite battery voltage level alarms I think? So I would suggest taking your handy dandy voltmeter and measure your actual coach (house) batteries when they are not charging and unloaded if possible (wet cell are 12.6vdc full charge; 11.9 full discharged). If the inverter is giving high and low voltage alarms I would wonder if all battery connections are clean and tight. Possibly if the batteries are so low you can't get a proper sense reading for the inverter (not sure why it would error too high though). Might need to charge with a stand alone charger first to get batteries back up. Did the shop prove to you that all was working before you headed home?
Old 07-13-2019, 06:34 AM   #9

THOR #5601
Well.....looks like the 2 35amp fuses on the inverter popped , replaced, looks like good to go....will let her charge over night and will hit the road in the AM.....hope for the best