Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2015, 05:07 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: windsport 27k
State: Massachusetts
THOR #2451
Unhappy Ugh..Help CW useless Need advice for repairs

Hello all Thor owners,

Is there anyone who can advice us of a dependable , reliable Thor repair/service center in South Shore Massachusetts. We have a windsport we purchased at CW in Conway NH in July they never Prepped the unit (other than dewinterize) nor did the added items we purchased. Therefore we brought it to a local CW in MA and guess what 21days they still have the rv and nothing done yet! in total we have used the motorhome ONCE!! 39 Days at a CW service department. Help anyone know of a place we can take it that Thor will pay the items under warranty etc...?

Old 09-21-2015, 05:36 PM   #2

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
Sorry to hear of your plight. Here in Colorado CW is the only authorized Thor dealers and I bought mine in Texas to save $20K
on the price.

When I needed to have warranty work done on mine it took 3-4 weeks to get an
appointment, but they did the needed work in about 1 week. I need to take it back
next week for install of parts that had to be ordered, but that is all.

I would call Thor customer service at the 800# and see what they can do for you?
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:42 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I recommend 2 things.

First, contact Thor and explain your issues. The warranty states the service center has 20 days and then Thor should be contacted. Thor can also provide you with the names of authorized service centers in your area.

You can also get the3 authorized service centers from this web site

RV Dealers Thor Motor Coach

Second, post a review of the service center on www.rvservicereviews.com. This will provide info to other RV'ers in the area of the problems you are having with the service center. If it were me, I'd post a review on both CW locations.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:07 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 35SK
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2366
This isn't meant to defend Camping World, but rather explain the process a little better. Whenever a unit goes in for warranty work, it has to be pre-authorized by the manufacturer. That being said, the service center can't order the parts until they get the pre-auth number. I took our MH in on 8/20/15 for warranty work. Thor did not get the pre-auth done until9/9/15, almost 3 weeks later. I am now waiting for the parts to come in and have them replaced. It is not unusual to wait 4 to 6 weeks for warranty repairs. We are spoiled by the car manufacturers, too bad the RV manufacturers and service centers can't follow.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:22 PM   #5

THOR #2451
Thumbs up Thank you for advice

Appreciate the advice from all. Thank you dstankov that is why your a senior member you always seem to share your knowledge to us newbies. We did actually call Thor to our surprise they were NOT a lot of help but said we certainly could call them again if not resolved!! It is hard to swallow the snail pace doesn't seem to be a REALLY VALID reason it always seems that each CW passes the buck to THOR and THOR to CW ugh.
Perhaps there is a new nitch out there to be filled good service for RV's . As far as the workers go , you couldn't meet more polite workers makes it hard to get mad but we are.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:46 PM   #6

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I suspect that if you do find another place to take it, it will then sit there for a while before work is commenced, and that being after the wait for the new appointment time, etc....

It seems to be an industry norm, that as Fred G explained, they do no work for a quite while due to the expected authorization process before the parts are even ordered.

and it's not just Thor. I went through this process with them.

My coach is currently back for warranty service through dometic. My Thor warranty is out, but I noticed an issue with my awning fabric on our last outing. So i emailed them directly while still on my trip. Spent the following week back and forth with them, sending them photos and info, to which they replied that this is a covered thing under their 2-year warranty.

So I took that to mean "pre-authorized", right? they said I would need to take it to a dealer.
So I took a printout of my email string, complete with Dometic's statement of warranty coverage and complete photos.
and they refused to pre-order the parts so that I could simply drive the unit in once and wait for the 1-2 hour repair.
So I contacted Dometic again, hoping they would send the parts to my dealer and grease the skids. no luck.
So, I had to wait a couple weeks for my "dropoff appointment", which was Saturday..... So in theory, they are working the official authorization today to start the process....

it'll be interesting to see how much longer this 1-2 hour repair will take!

When my Thor warranty work was done, there was quite a long delay while they did their authorization stuff, then waiting for the parts to be produced and shipped. Once they got the parts, they did work it fairly quickly through the shop....

And in theory, I could have continued to use the MH in those weeks waiting for the parts, then just made another drop off appointment once the parts arrived....
You could likely do the same, assuming the coach is usable.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:48 PM   #7

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suites 38RSSA
State: Texas
THOR #2754
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsport27k2015 View Post
Perhaps there is a new nitch out there to be filled good service for RV's.
There are very good independent RV repair facilities out there who live and die by the quality of their service and their reputations. DRV was always quite cooperative in authorizing service at these facilities when required. We'll see how that changes under Thor's ownership.....

Rusty
Current: 2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972 - Previous: 2004 MS 36RE3 #1291
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:31 PM   #8

THOR #2451
Thumbs up interesting that it seems to be the norm

Sad very sad that it seems to be the norm . Poor service ugh!! CW did tell us today if we need to we can take the MH and bring it back for the work to be done. Should of told us that the first time. COMMUNICATION FOLKS learn it at the Service Centers.
RustyJC do you know of any other reputable repair places for future use?
Thanks
Old 09-21-2015, 07:36 PM   #9

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suites 38RSSA
State: Texas
THOR #2754
Quote:
RustyJC do you know of any other reputable repair places for future use?
Thanks
Since we live in Texas, I'm afraid I can't help you much in Massachusetts. Sorry.... Now, if you find yourself in the Houston, Texas area, there are a few around here.

Rusty
Current: 2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972 - Previous: 2004 MS 36RE3 #1291
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:38 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Appreciate the advice from all. Thank you dstankov that is why your a senior member you always seem to share your knowledge to us newbies. We did actually call Thor to our surprise they were NOT a lot of help but said we certainly could call them again if not resolved!! It is hard to swallow the snail pace doesn't seem to be a REALLY VALID reason it always seems that each CW passes the buck to THOR and THOR to CW ugh.
Perhaps there is a new nitch out there to be filled good service for RV's . As far as the workers go , you couldn't meet more polite workers makes it hard to get mad but we are.
You said you called Thor, now it may be time to write Thor as per the terms of the warranty? Until you write to them and enforce the provisions of the warranty Thor and CW may string you along all day long. Once you write them, as stated in the warranty, they are put on notice and must comply under federal law (Magnuson Moss Warranty Act).
FMCA - F432054
Old 09-21-2015, 07:43 PM   #11
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
I suspect that if you do find another place to take it, it will then sit there for a while before work is commenced, and that being after the wait for the new appointment time, etc....

It seems to be an industry norm, that as Fred G explained, they do no work for a quite while due to the expected authorization process before the parts are even ordered.

and it's not just Thor. I went through this process with them.

My coach is currently back for warranty service through dometic. My Thor warranty is out, but I noticed an issue with my awning fabric on our last outing. So i emailed them directly while still on my trip. Spent the following week back and forth with them, sending them photos and info, to which they replied that this is a covered thing under their 2-year warranty.

So I took that to mean "pre-authorized", right? they said I would need to take it to a dealer.
So I took a printout of my email string, complete with Dometic's statement of warranty coverage and complete photos.
and they refused to pre-order the parts so that I could simply drive the unit in once and wait for the 1-2 hour repair.
So I contacted Dometic again, hoping they would send the parts to my dealer and grease the skids. no luck.
So, I had to wait a couple weeks for my "dropoff appointment", which was Saturday..... So in theory, they are working the official authorization today to start the process....

it'll be interesting to see how much longer this 1-2 hour repair will take!

When my Thor warranty work was done, there was quite a long delay while they did their authorization stuff, then waiting for the parts to be produced and shipped. Once they got the parts, they did work it fairly quickly through the shop....

And in theory, I could have continued to use the MH in those weeks waiting for the parts, then just made another drop off appointment once the parts arrived....
You could likely do the same, assuming the coach is usable.
Interesting. My experience with Dometic was the opposite on both the refrigerator and awning on my prior Class C. In both cases my dealer accepted the email strings from Dometic without issue and in the case of the awning Dometic sent the new awning to the dealer one month before the deasler could get the coach in for repairs. The awning, however, was under recall and deployed on me at 55 MPH on I95. I don't think Dometic wanted that to make the news at 6 PM.
FMCA - F432054
Old 09-21-2015, 07:55 PM   #12

THOR #2451
Cool dstankov thank you/ RustyJC

I need to read my warranty unfortunately it is in the MH , I know not bright on my part. Appreciate the suggestion.

writing will be next I also have had a great deal of success with the AG office and BBB's in the past no stranger to fighting for my rights.

Rusty JC we were in San Leon Texas last October for a family wedding LOVED IT!
Old 09-21-2015, 09:33 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
I need to read my warranty unfortunately it is in the MH , I know not bright on my part. Appreciate the suggestion.

writing will be next I also have had a great deal of success with the AG office and BBB's in the past no stranger to fighting for my rights.

Rusty JC we were in San Leon Texas last October for a family wedding LOVED IT!
You can get the owners manual to include warranty at this link.

Motorhome Owner's Links | Thor Motor Coach, Damon,Four Winds, Mandalay

The important parts are on pages 10 and 11 which are the sections "What we will do..." and "How to get service"
FMCA - F432054
Old 09-21-2015, 10:38 PM   #14

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
A "reliable Thor repair/service center"? Down the road just past the unicorn shop!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:54 PM   #15

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Louisiana
THOR #2095
I find it is often necessary to be assertive with these people -- especially for warranty work. Also, I don't leave my unit with them while waiting for parts or authorization. I have them call me when they are ready to do the work. If I don't hear from them in a couple of weeks, I call and bug them every couple of days. Sometimes I even show up and talk to them in person (amazing what that can get done).

I guess what I'm saying is, unless it's a dealer you are satisfied with from their past performance, don't be accommodating to them. They are there to serve you, not vice versa.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:36 PM   #16

Model: Chateau 35SK
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2366
There also seems to be a disconnect between the parts department and the service people. When we had our 5th wheel, I contacted the parts department and they gave me the tracking number for the part. I waited until it was delivered and the next day I called the service writer and was told the part wasn't in. I than contacted the service manager and wasn't he surprised when not only did I give him the date and time the part was delivered but also the name of the person who signed for the part. It was enlightening to see how fast my unit was finished, and how we treated when we picked it up. The techs were almost giddy; my guess is that service writer merely told people the parts were not in yet as her stock answer. She on the hand, was very cold with her interaction with us.

Fred