Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2017, 04:44 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Allegro Open Road
State: Florida
THOR #8069
Florida storage question

Probably the wrong time to ask this question with all that is going on in Florida, but:
I retire on 02/01/2018 and will be moving to Ocala, Fl in April 2018 I want to store our RV at our new home from Oct to April and have a few questions about winter storage in Florida:
Do I need to winterize like I do up north?
Do I leave leveling jacks up or down?
Do I leave roof vents open or closed?
Do I need tire covers or full cover for RV?
The RV will be in a storage lot for 6 months

Old 09-11-2017, 07:10 PM   #2
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1Z View Post
Probably the wrong time to ask this question with all that is going on in Florida, but:
I retire on 02/01/2018 and will be moving to Ocala, Fl in April 2018 I want to store our RV at our new home from Oct to April and have a few questions about winter storage in Florida:
Do I need to winterize like I do up north?
Do I leave leveling jacks up or down?
Do I leave roof vents open or closed?
Do I need tire covers or full cover for RV?
The RV will be in a storage lot for 6 months
I'll give you my answers... I expect you will get some different opinions...
I've spent last 3 winter's just south of Ocala... And moved here full time last year. This coming winter will be first time we won't be living in RV all winter, though I expect we will use it.

Haven't seen need to winterize by default... And since it is at home, if I see a need it will take about 10 min to blow out lines...
I leave jacks up unless living in it... Personal choice... I you leave them down, I would wipe down shafts with an appropriate lubricant a few times over winter. (In MI was easy decision to not expose them to salt....)
I leave mine closed... But may depend on vents you have and how much they keep rain out... Parked in partial shade spot this summer with vents closed, the rig only got over 100 degrees a handful of times... And 102 was max (monitored by temp stick)
Tire covers don't hurt... And if going to be parked for months, I probably would.
RV covers is different story... Some like. Some feel they do more damage (scratches going on/off). I don't use one... More from convenience of using rig... If I had to wrestle that cover just to take it out for a weekend, I might use it less.

Hope it helps.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:08 PM   #3

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Most likely just drain/blow out the lines, rv cover NO, tire covers YES & parked on wood blocks, vents possibly open if in direct sun & battery still connected so you can close if necessary, if shaded or no batteries close vents.
If you don't plan on using it all winter I'd disconnect the batteries or take to the house to store them.
Also be sure to clean/flush black tank as clear as possible & add some anti freeze or a little water with a cup of cooking oil to black & grey tanks to keep valve seals from drying out.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:28 AM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Welcome to Florida and congrats on your retirement!

We live between Ocala and Orlando, and our Vegas is in a storage lot over the winter. Jacks up, vents closed and no tire covers, with some shade from adjacent rigs. I haven't winterized an RV in all the years I've wintered in Florida. It might be necessary if you lived on the northern edge of the state, but I wouldn't if I stored it in Ocala.

Nowhere to plug in a charger, so I start it every couple of weeks and run the engine and the generator for awhile. No problems with the original batteries for first 3 years.

You will get differing opinions, but that's what works for me.

PS. Plan to join your fellow forum members at St John's KOA October 27-29. Details in another thread.