Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2017, 07:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Quantum
State: California
THOR #9015
Question Unable to use all water in fresh water holding tank

We just completed our first voyage on our 2017 Quantum. We were dry camping and using water from our fresh water holding tank. Sooner than expected we seemed to run out of water on our 30 gallon tank. The water pump was making the usual noise but water flow came to a halt.

Since our water tank full indicator lights were not even hooked up at the factory (GRRRR) I visually checked the holding tank water level. The tank is about 5 inches tall and we still had about 2 inches of water depth in the tank. And yes my rig was level.

Once we got home I filled the holding tank back to full capacity and now the water system works as it should.

So my question is - how much water should be left in the tank before it is "empty"? I can see where a bit of water might not be accessible for the pump to get to but 2 inches of water seems very unacceptable. 2 Inches of water is probably about 30% of the tanks overall capacity.

I will be taking this issue back to the dealer along with many other issues (GRRRR) but wanted to get an idea for what others have experienced on the ability to use all water from the holding tank.

Can I expect to get every drop of water or is there always a bit left that is not accessible to the pump?

Old 09-10-2017, 07:59 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
This is my second Thor. I have always been able to use water until the pump sucked air. I too do not give a thought to what the tank sensor indicates. It does seem strange that you could have 2" of water remaining and the pump won't pump.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:45 PM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Big difference between models... 2" is a 'drop in the bucket' of my fresh water tank... Its a good 30 inches high. The line to the pump also contains the drain valve and drains it dry.

Especially on a much shorter tank - I'd expect you can get a LOT more out. Can you see where the water line exits the tank? how far from bottom is it?
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:55 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Quantum
State: California
THOR #9015
I can see the 2 low points that are for draining the fresh water tank. I assume there is a different connection for where the water is drawn from the tank to the water pump but I am not sure because I cannot see that one.

I am also concerned about the 2 drain lines I can see which are the low points for draining the main tank. They are positioned on the side of the tank and are not all the way at the bottom of the tank, There is some space (about one inch) between the bottom of the tank and where the hoses were plumbed in to drain the tank. From the looks of it I will never be able to completely drain the fresh water tank. There will always be about an inch of water in there the way it is plumbed.

Is that an issue for winterizing the system?

Should I expect the dealer to re position those lines as a warranty item?
Old 09-11-2017, 09:41 PM   #5

State: Georgia
THOR #8902
Fresh water drain

I have a 2017 Vegas and have a drain valve under the bed that has a hose that drains right on top of my gas tank. Surely this isn't how it is designed or maybe it is. Has anyone seen this?
Old 09-11-2017, 10:01 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M_MURPHYS View Post
I am also concerned about the 2 drain lines I can see which are the low points for draining the main tank. They are positioned on the side of the tank and are not all the way at the bottom of the tank, There is some space (about one inch) between the bottom of the tank and where the hoses were plumbed in to drain the tank.
Is that an issue for winterizing the system?
Should I expect the dealer to re position those lines as a warranty item?
Yes, and Heck Yes!
Your dealership should definitely be brought in on the conversation.
Good luck! Please let us know what they do!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holding tank capacity