Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2017, 06:34 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #1466
Vegas finish

My 2014 Thor Vegas has a serious issue with the fiberglass finish. This coach is stored outside in the Florida sun. I have waxed the coach front to back, top to bottom 8-10 times since new. always washed and cleaned. The finish is so bad now it looks just horrible. I have tried several cleaners, rubbing/buffing/polishing compounds, Klasse wax, Meguiers restorer/ refinisher, and several other polymer, carnauba, acrylic wax and polishes. This finish is supposed to be all thru the fiberglass, a big deal from the sales people when we were looking at the Thor Rvs,. The cheap graphics also have failed in 2 years..cracking,peeling, fading. Well, it looks like crap. The only thing I think will make it look good again is a total wrap. Wrapping the coach will be cheaper than total full-body paint. Anyone have any ideas on what to do to make this coach look good? Thor is of no help with an obviously defective product. Never Thor, ever again.

Old 01-23-2017, 01:55 PM   #2

Model: Wind Sport by Four Winds
THOR #6330
2 years ago I found a product in a boating mag.to restore the finish on boats that had faded out. I too live in FLa. and keep my RV in My back yard. the RV I just traded in was a 1998 looked like new after 2 years, and washing it is almost just hose off the dust.
The product is Poli Glow, The company is in Ft. Pierce Fl, so they know UV. I also did my very chalky 1986 boat and it looks new.It is a 2 step process, you wash with the prep, then apply THIN coats of the Poli Glow, my 30' Flair took me 2 easy days to complete and 6 coats later (they recommend 3 to 6 coats) new coach. It won't repair cracked graplics but it makes them shine again.
Look them up on line @ Poli Glow Manufacturer of UV Protective Products for RV Boats
Old 01-23-2017, 02:56 PM   #3

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
I'm not sure much of anything can stand up to the constant UV damage sitting outside 2 years in Florida. I am coating all my plastic covers/shades on the roof every month or so with 303 hoping to extend their life. I don't have decals but I am keeping good wax on it. I think I read someplace where SW Florida has 355 days of sun every year, that is a ton of damaging UV to anything outside.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:25 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Georgia
THOR #6114
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgebo View Post
My 2014 Thor Vegas has a serious issue with the fiberglass finish. This coach is stored outside in the Florida sun... . The cheap graphics also have failed in 2 years..cracking,peeling, fading. Well, it looks like crap. The only thing I think will make it look good again is a total wrap. Wrapping the coach will be cheaper than total full-body paint. Anyone have any ideas on what to do to make this coach look good? Thor is of no help with an obviously defective product. Never Thor, ever again.
Could you post a couple pics of the coach?
Old 01-24-2017, 01:34 PM   #5

Model: vegas 24.1
THOR #1466
poliglow

Thanks for the info, guys. I did check out Poliglow online, and I think I will give it a try. This will be my last attempt at making the vegas look good. I really have tried a bunch of anti-oxidizers and polishes, and they just do nothing. They look good for a second, and when trying to buff them off, just swirl marks and shadows remain. Thanx again.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:09 PM   #6

Model: Four Winds 28z
THOR #5725
David, please let me know how that goes- dealing w/ the same thing on my 2013 four winds; I don't want to spend big $$ on professional waxing to not have any result. Right now I am just putting 303 on it to try to stave off future damage.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:37 PM   #7

Model: 2019 Vegas 25.6
State: Oklahoma
THOR #3467
This looks like a total wrap, guess you could change color as well i would think a wrap would be very expensive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1499.jpg
Views:	706
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	3779  
Old 01-24-2017, 03:42 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Man what google can find:
Ditch the day job and hit the road: One young family's adventure | NOLA.com

Another wrapped unit is this one:
https://www.facebook.com/48in366/pho...type=3&theater
Note that that one is only wrapped on 3 sides.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:47 PM   #9

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Cool!!! I'd like one if those...
Old 01-24-2017, 09:40 PM   #10

Model: 2019 Vegas 25.6
State: Oklahoma
THOR #3467
WOW that's quite a paint job! I like the Orange and Black could they be from Oklahoma State University? ��
Old 08-16-2017, 02:52 PM   #11

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #8654
David & Roy,

Thanks to both of you for your posts. I too own a 2016 Thor Axis with the same inferior finish. I contacted Thor about this problem and included pictures of the RV. The response was disappointing to say the least. I will copy their reply here:

Good afternoon!

Dexter is declining as the age of vehicle past their 2 yr. warranty. We supplied Dexter with the panel that goes into the door so the door and the walls will be identical. That panel is no longer available to us (it’s become obsolete). It’s possible that the door panel may “come back” if you give it a good buffing/polishing. We’ve seen it make a big difference in the past on some coaches.

We asked if they have any replacements to send out. They said they would not be able to match the color of the unit, as Thor has changed the skins since the build date of this door and we don’t have the previous skins anymore.

I wish there was something else I could do for you. I apologize for not being able to fulfill your request.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Daniel

I relied to they with this:
Daniel,

I am guessing that this Dexter is the company responsible for the finish on my 2016 Axis.

I am very disappointed in the finish on this RV. For being only 2 years old it should still look like a new RV.

I have owned a few RV in my years that were much older than this one, and I have never had a problem with finish. They were an old Mini Winnie, another Winnebago class C. and a 34ft Bounder.

I can see on the Forums that this RV has a reputation of having a bad finish and no one has had any satisfaction dealing with Thor.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...nish-6130.html

One Forum user recommended a product called Poli Glow Products, Inc located in Fort Pierce , FL and said that they were going to try it.

https://poliglow-int.com/

I guess I am in the same boat as they are, so I will look into this product also. The cost of the two part kit is approx. $70, so worth a try.

If there is any reason Thor does not recommend using a product like this, I would appreciate them letting me know ASAP.

Thank you for responding to my questions, but very disappointed in the answer.

Capt. Randy Smith
2016 Thor Axis 24.1
Old 08-18-2017, 02:23 AM   #12

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by captrandy View Post
David & Roy,

Thanks to both of you for your posts. I too own a 2016 Thor Axis with the same inferior finish. I contacted Thor about this problem and included pictures of the RV. The response was disappointing to say the least. I will copy their reply here:

Good afternoon!

Dexter is declining as the age of vehicle past their 2 yr. warranty. We supplied Dexter with the panel that goes into the door so the door and the walls will be identical. That panel is no longer available to us (it’s become obsolete). It’s possible that the door panel may “come back” if you give it a good buffing/polishing. We’ve seen it make a big difference in the past on some coaches.

We asked if they have any replacements to send out. They said they would not be able to match the color of the unit, as Thor has changed the skins since the build date of this door and we don’t have the previous skins anymore.

I wish there was something else I could do for you. I apologize for not being able to fulfill your request.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Daniel

I relied to they with this:
Daniel,

I am guessing that this Dexter is the company responsible for the finish on my 2016 Axis.

I am very disappointed in the finish on this RV. For being only 2 years old it should still look like a new RV.

I have owned a few RV in my years that were much older than this one, and I have never had a problem with finish. They were an old Mini Winnie, another Winnebago class C. and a 34ft Bounder.

I can see on the Forums that this RV has a reputation of having a bad finish and no one has had any satisfaction dealing with Thor.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...nish-6130.html

One Forum user recommended a product called Poli Glow Products, Inc located in Fort Pierce , FL and said that they were going to try it.

https://poliglow-int.com/

I guess I am in the same boat as they are, so I will look into this product also. The cost of the two part kit is approx. $70, so worth a try.

If there is any reason Thor does not recommend using a product like this, I would appreciate them letting me know ASAP.

Thank you for responding to my questions, but very disappointed in the answer.

Capt. Randy Smith
2016 Thor Axis 24.1

Haven't had this problem with my 2016 Vegas stored outside for most of the year in Florida, and haven't heard this complaint much. That said, it is aggravating that Thor is leaving you without options. What if an accident ruined a panel? Hope you can find a solution to your issues.

One of the great things about Winnebago is they can produce OEM parts for everything they ever made. Need a sink or a tank for a Brave from decades ago? No problem, they keep all the molds. Wish they made a Vegas like product in the same price range!

Let us know how the PolyGlow works. Good luck!
Old 08-18-2017, 03:48 AM   #13

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Finish

Our 2016 Axis is also outside in the SoCal sun. The top of the front cap has no finish left. I happened to buy the finish warranty from PermaPlate so it is at a local RV paint shop getting that portion painted. The technician at the facility told me that the beige color on the Axis/Vegas just will not stand up to the beating of the sun. I am not in a position to have any kind of garage cover built so I just have to live with it.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:27 PM   #14

THOR #8654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post

Haven't had this problem with my 2016 Vegas stored outside for most of the year in Florida, and haven't heard this complaint much. That said, it is aggravating that Thor is leaving you without options. What if an accident ruined a panel? Hope you can find a solution to your issues.

One of the great things about Winnebago is they can produce OEM parts for everything they ever made. Need a sink or a tank for a Brave from decades ago? No problem, they keep all the molds. Wish they made a Vegas like product in the same price range!

Let us know how the PolyGlow works. Good luck!
I had not even thought of an accident. Good Point.

I will be purchasing the PolyGlow product next week and will give it a try and post results for others that may have this problem. Might even be good to apply as a preventative against harsh UV rays.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:29 PM   #15

THOR #8654
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
Our 2016 Axis is also outside in the SoCal sun. The top of the front cap has no finish left. I happened to buy the finish warranty from PermaPlate so it is at a local RV paint shop getting that portion painted. The technician at the facility told me that the beige color on the Axis/Vegas just will not stand up to the beating of the sun. I am not in a position to have any kind of garage cover built so I just have to live with it.
Good for you on the warranty, smart move.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Passenger & Door.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	6398   Click image for larger version

Name:	Passenger side & Door.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	6399  

Name:	Rear Ladder Area.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	6400   Click image for larger version

Name:	Door & Passenger side.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	6401  

Old 08-18-2017, 01:34 PM   #16

THOR #8654
Chrome mirrors peeling

Just another poor finish on my chrome mirrors. The chrome plating job is peeling off of the mirror mounts by the screws that hold them on.
Two years old, Really!

I have to send pics to Thor, to see what they will do about it. They will say too bad Warrant is up or send me new mounts, we will see.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:44 PM   #17

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Just another poor finish on my chrome mirrors. The chrome plating job is peeling off of the mirror mounts by the screws that hold them on.
Two years old, Really!

I have to send pics to Thor, to see what they will do about it. They will say too bad Warrant is up or send me new mounts, we will see.
Those parts are covered by the company Velvac for two years. If your coach is still under two years they will send you new ones for free. Worth a call.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5267.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	6402  
Old 08-18-2017, 01:57 PM   #18

THOR #8654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Those parts are covered by the company Velvac for two years. If your coach is still under two years they will send you new ones for free. Worth a call.
Purchased in July of 2015, so one month out of warranty.

I will still give it a try. Thor told me to send pictures and they will see what they can do.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:00 PM   #19

THOR #8654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Thanks for the Mirror Manufacturer info. I have sent these pics to Thor to see what they have to say, but if that fails, I will contact the manufacturer even though just out of the two years warranty period.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0011.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	6580   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0012.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	6581  

Name:	DSCN0013.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	6582   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0014.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	6583  

Old 09-02-2017, 09:14 PM   #20

THOR #8654
2106 Thor Axis Finish & Mirrors

Quote:
Good for you on the warranty, smart move.
Hi Guys, just an update as to where I am at with the finish on my Axis and the problem with the chrome plating peeling off my mirrors.

I went to the manufacturer of Poli Glow and talked with the gentleman about my finish. He recommended I first try their Poli OX scrub to remove any oxidation, before I just jumped into his Poli Glow. He gave me a sample to try and wow, it made a huge difference in the finish. I first applied it with the scrubber he gave me and then rinsed and dried. Still some hazing, so I applied the product again. This time almost all oxidation has disappeared. Now it will just need a good wax.

I also purchased McGuiar's Marine-RV Oxidation Remover to give it a try also.

I have to bring my RV home to my driveway, so I have access to water for rinsing. I am pretty confident that between these two products, I can get my RV finish back to looking good again. I will post pics when I get started.

As far as the mirrors go, Velvac is replacing both mirror mounts for me. That's a good company that stands behind their product.

Thanks for the heads up on the manufacturer of the mirrors.

Too bad Thor couldn't have recommended an oxidation remover.

Randy