Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2017, 11:34 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Kentucky
THOR #8259
Using Levelers for Winter Storage

Well, just winterized our ACE 30.2 and put her down for a long winter's nap. Spring needs to hurry up and get here! Anyhoo, my question is this: do any of you store your rig using the Levelers to take pressure off of the tires and/or suspension? Do you recommend letting some air out of the tires? And finally, I plan on running the generator about every month or so - do I need to run it under load or is just starting it and running it for 15-20 minutes good enough? Thanks everyone!

Old 10-27-2017, 12:10 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'm "Old School" on this issue... my information may be really outdated.
My Grampa Denman ran a backhoe for a living in his later years. He told me to never leave the hydraulics under a load for an extended period of time...
(He was probably concerned about leakage, and settling.)
As far as the tires: I'd air them uP: not down. It'll help reduce the chances of them taking a "set".
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 01:17 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Put the jacks down and then liberally spray them with silicone to help prevent corrosion. Leave tires aired to normal pressure.

Run the generator with a load, a small electric heater works. Loading the generator heats up the generator coils and gets out the moisture out which is the most harmful thing to a generator.

Try to park so that your tires aren’t subject to sitting in water. A little gravel or lava rock under the tires will keep water drained away.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:19 PM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I'm "Old School" on this issue... my information may be really outdated.
My Grampa Denman ran a backhoe for a living in his later years. He told me to never leave the hydraulics under a load for an extended period of time...
(He was probably concerned about leakage, and settling.)
As far as the tires: I'd air them uP: not down. It'll help reduce the chances of them taking a "set".

I'm with Bob on this, it seems to me that you could possibly do more harm to the jacks leaving them down than you would to the suspension with the jacks up. Either way, lube before storage, and I doubt you would hurt anything up or down.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:42 PM   #5

THOR #5196
I’ve attended two seminars in the past on jacks, both times the rep recommended jacks down. Guess it’s up to the owner as to what they feel is best. I put mine down and lube, so far never had a problem.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:59 PM   #6

Model: A.C.E. 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Kentucky
THOR #8259
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
I’ve attended two seminars in the past on jacks, both times the rep recommended jacks down. Guess it’s up to the owner as to what they feel is best. I put mine down and lube, so far never had a problem.
Thanks Super D. Quick question for the newbie over here - what do you recommend for lube? What brand do you use? Thanks!
Old 10-27-2017, 04:31 PM   #7

THOR #5196
At the seminars I was told to use plain old silicone spray since it doesn’t attract dirt, I think what I have is 3M but don’t think the brand would matter.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:50 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post

I'm with Bob on this, it seems to me that you could possibly do more harm to the jacks leaving them down than you would to the suspension with the jacks up. Either way, lube before storage, and I doubt you would hurt anything up or down.
Don't follow me: I'm lost too!

Old 10-27-2017, 07:35 PM   #9

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Lippert actually recommends leaving the up to prevent rusting and pitting.
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:34 PM   #10

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
According to HWH, it will do no harm to leave them down supporting the RV for extended periods of time. I asked about cleaning and spraying the jacks while down, the response was, if you feel you should spray them, use silicone as it will do no harm, but it won't do anything for them either, as they are designed to self clean when retracted. I do not know about other brands of leveling systems.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:32 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
So I guess that this just comes down to:

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1509139935
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Whatever Floats Your Goat.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	7519  
Old 10-27-2017, 10:13 PM   #12

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
I have a 5th wheel so have no choice but to leave them down. After 5 years with them down all winter has not hurt them. I do use silicone spray & wipe/spray them at least once a month. When extended for long periods they may leak a little oil, but on mine once I lube them & run in/out they have stopped leaking. The factory guys told me to operate them a couple times during the winter to keep the seals lubed, if you run your generator occasionally that would a good time to lube them & run them in/out.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 01:24 AM   #13
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Obviously many full timers (staying in one place) leave jacks down for extended times...
I've had mine down for a 5 month stay with no issues.

My choice for northern storage with snow/ice/salt was 'jacks up'..
Partly not wanting to expose them to elements... Partly making sure I could get the rig out if needed - not find jacks buried in ice.... (I didn't have control of the drainage in storage lot.)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:57 PM   #14

Model: ACE
State: Alabama
THOR #10208
Recommend putting the jacks under load. I noticed several post on how to maintain them. Consider this point. If you have them under load while in storage and they leak, better to find out while in storage than when in use. The reason you see JLGs, Cherry Pickers, Dump Trucks in suspended is for the operator to know that the hydraulics are working.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:07 PM   #15

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I have no opinion on up or down on the jacks. I honestly don't think it matters.

I have always been told to run the generator under at least 50% load for 1 hour monthly. Cummins just told me that only applies to diesel generators. The gas generators need no load. They also explained 30 minutes should be enough to recharge batteries and clear out any moisture.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:35 PM   #16
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
I have no opinion on up or down on the jacks. I honestly don't think it matters.

I have always been told to run the generator under at least 50% load for 1 hour monthly. Cummins just told me that only applies to diesel generators. The gas generators need no load. They also explained 30 minutes should be enough to recharge batteries and clear out any moisture.
From the Onan Generator Handbook:

Quote:
Q: Why do I want to exercise my genset?
A: Regular exercising the genset heats up the alternator windings and removes or expels excess moisture. In sets equipped with brushes, exercising helps prevent corrosion buildup on slip rings. Running the genset also brings fresh fuel to the carburetor on gasoline and diesel gensets.
https://power.cummins.com/sites/defa.../F-1123-EN.pdf
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:13 AM   #17

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Tfryman, my main point is I had been told to run my generator with a load. Cummins explained the load is NOT required for gas generators. I might add he told me if it sits more than a couple of months I should add Stabihl or something comparable.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:16 AM   #18
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
You can't heat up the alternator windings without an electrical load, doesn't matter if it is gas or diesel.

Now they may be saying it is better for the diesel engine to run under load whereas the gas engine doesn't care at 3600 RPM.

And, from the same manual:

To prevent such problems, it is recommended to run gasoline generators at a minimum of 50 percent capacity (2000-watts, or one air conditioner for a 4000-watt set) for two hours once every four weeks. This is necessary to help keep moving parts lubricated, expel moisture and control fuel varnishing in the carburetor. A long two-hour exercise period is preferable to several short periods. While traveling, this can be accomplished by running the air conditioning.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:32 PM   #19

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
1) My gen manual says to run it with a load to expel moisture. I run it with the AC on or the water heater. Sometimes both.

2) I wouldn't leave the jacks down because of the rust issue. Use the leveler jacks to raise it up and put jack stands under the frame and raise the leveler jacks. If you leave them down the manual says to spray them (weekly I think).
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote