Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2016, 10:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
tall skylight dome source?

Anyone here track down a supplier for this tall skylight dome?
This is on my 2013 model 31L class C

It's roughly 16in x 24in x approx 8in tall
straight sides

I'm contemplating a spray on roof, and figure this sun damaged plastic should be replaced if I do. The roof company replaces all the vent covers, etc..... but not skylights.
Looking online, it seems that more shallow ones are much more common.

Secondary question.... if you have one like this, have you ever had it off to see how much clearance is under it to the inner dome?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160905_150435171.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	2933   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160905_181724716.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	2934  

Old 09-17-2016, 05:36 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
A spray on roof on a 2013 RV?? Me thinks you have at least a decade or so to really contemplate the option, (unless your roof membrane has already been physically damaged).
Old 09-18-2016, 11:15 AM   #3

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Yeah, you're right..... but there is more to the story. It's a long story, but it boils down to looking for options to seal up a leak in the corner trim, and the spray on roof material looks like a potential solution.

Just yesterday, I opened up the corner, and found that the factory did a lovely job of putting this thing together. On the cabover nose, just forward of the roof membrane where the nose just starts to curve over, the front piece comes shy of the sidewall....where it's supposed to come over and meet the side wall under the corner trim..... and it's shy by the distance that the trim overlaps..... so there is ZERO sealing surface for several linear feet right at that critical area that sees every raindrop + driven rain when highway driving. Nice!

Update on the skylight. I called Thor, who said it was made by Bri-Rus. I called them, they don't make it. I spent a fair time on google looking, and struck out.
The thing i noticed though is that most of the skylights I find are advertised to be polycarbonate and are much lower profile. I'm not sure but I don't think the factory one is....it's some very thin material and I'm just concerned about how many more years it would last before cracking. As you can see it's showing some good yellowing from the sun.

IF I do the roof, which is looking more likely now, I think I'll take the inner dome down to measure & see if one of the ploycarbonate low profile ones will work.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:26 AM   #4

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Just a thought, and not being able to see the extent of your problem, have you thought about Eterna-bond tape. The tape is VERY durable and works great for sealing up just about anything!