Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2019, 03:21 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Venetian A40
State: Idaho
THOR #17453
Valve stem chaffing?

Pre departure tire pressure check today yielded a rear schrader valve extension (long valve stem) from the inboard tire had a problem. There is a rubber/plastic grommet like device that centers the valve stem in a hole where it passes through the outer wheel, but it had either been installed incorrectly, or vibration had dislodged it, allowing it to work its way down onto the base of the valve stem. The loss of the isolator unfortunately allowed the valve stem to vibrate or be centrifugally held in contact with the hole in the outer wheel, wearing both the wheel and the metal valve stem. It nearly destroyed the metal valve cap.

Anyone else had this happen? Guess I need to get it replaced as I have concerns that the wear might be in the pressure area below the actual valve.

Old 12-30-2019, 03:23 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
What kind of rig is this happening on?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 03:27 AM   #3

THOR #17453
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
What kind of rig is this happening on?
Sorry I keep meaning to add a tag line
2018 Thor Venetian A40.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:45 AM   #4
Site Team

THOR #1469
I have not had that issue but I just installed 6 inch extensions with the valve stem stabilizers on the Accolade. Not sure if the cutout in your wheels are round or sorta oval shaped but I will say for the oval shaped wheels there are two different style stabilizers. There is a straight cut stabilizer and there is a Stylized stabilizer. You might want to make sure that the correct stabilizers were installed on your coach. They stylized stabilized is used on wheels that have a beveled edge around the cutout.

Here is a link with the different types if you are interested.

https://www.shinyrv.com/product-tag/...on-stabilizer/
FMCA - F432054
Old 12-30-2019, 03:55 AM   #5

THOR #17453
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
They stylized stabilized is used on wheels that have a beveled edge around the cutout.

Here is a link with the different types if you are interested.

https://www.shinyrv.com/product-tag/...on-stabilizer/
Yep, Mine are the "stylized" Alcoa 2248's. There doesn't seem to be two choices in that odd, low profile, trapezoidal shaped through hole. I gotta think they got it right when they built the chassis and rolled it over to Thor.

https://www.shinyrv.com/product/valv...el-stylized-2/

So where'd you get your's done just any old Ma&Pa truck tire shop? or did you specifically go to a Freightliner outlet?
Old 12-30-2019, 04:12 AM   #6
Site Team

THOR #1469
I had my RV dealer do mine when I had the coach in for warranty work. My outer wheels had the valve stem facing inward so I had them rotate those stems so they are now point outward and more conducive to installing my TPMS sensors. My valve stems are metal with no rubber on them and the 6 inch extensions are all metal as well.

If my dealer couldn't install the extensions I was going to have either Freightliner or a tire shop install them. I have both across the street from each other about 3 miles from the house.

I will tell you that after looking at what was done I should have saved the money and installed the extensions myself. The outer valve stem rotation required breaking the tire down so the stems could be rotated.
FMCA - F432054
Old 01-04-2020, 03:55 AM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar Ventana LE
State: Tennessee
THOR #16834
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWaterSUX View Post
Anyone else had this happen? Guess I need to get it replaced as I have concerns that the wear might be in the pressure area below the actual valve.
Yes, twice last year. Once while going from Hudson, FL to North Fort Myers, FL. Once Mount Vernon, IL to Effingham, IL. The rubber standoff insert on passenger side came out an the rubber valve stem combined with flexible extension for the inside wheel of the rear dual wheel. The rubber stem just wore out from flexing, blew out and blew the extension out, too. I've been reading on forums that this is a common problem for Sprinters with dual rear wheels. I am looking to replace all the rear stems and extensions with metal ones, to avoid the flexing problem. Haven't found what I need, yet.
Old 01-04-2020, 04:31 AM   #8

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
My Hurricane came with these installed. https://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-USA-A...s%2C857&sr=8-3
or at least a similar design. The brackets hold the extensions and keep them from touching the cutouts in the rims.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:40 AM   #9

THOR #17453
Nice Find Keefer!
Old 01-04-2020, 01:03 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
My Hurricane came with these installed. https://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-USA-A...s%2C857&sr=8-3
or at least a similar design. The brackets hold the extensions and keep them from touching the cutouts in the rims.
Had them on the. Challenger. Check pressure everyday day because they will develop a slow leak between 6 and 12 months. There is a pic of them installed on another from thread about 4 years ago

My current coach has all metal valves so using 6 inch extensions with extension supports.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:38 PM   #11

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Just my two cents worth here. I went to a Big truck tire shop to find a solution to filling the inside dually. I had intended on installing a set like the ones Keefer linked above. They told me a large percentage of their service calls for tire repairs have had the flexible extensions on the tires. He said they almost always leak or work loose and leak causing a blowout. They recommend these little guys and a long air chuck & pressure gauge. I have been using them for two yeas now without any problems. BTW, they gave me two they had sitting in a junk box.
https://www.amazon.com/Alligator-V2B...6R990ATXT&th=1
Old 01-04-2020, 02:57 PM   #12

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I am firmly convinced that dually valves are the answer and I don’t understand why they are not standard from Ford.
Old 01-04-2020, 03:25 PM   #13

THOR #17453
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
Just my two cents worth here. I went to a Big truck tire shop to find a solution to filling the inside dually. I had intended on installing a set like the ones Keefer linked above. They told me a large percentage of their service calls for tire repairs have had the flexible extensions on the tires. He said they almost always leak or work loose and leak causing a blowout. They recommend these little guys and a long air chuck & pressure gauge. I have been using them for two yeas now without any problems. BTW, they gave me two they had sitting in a junk box.
https://www.amazon.com/Alligator-V2B...6R990ATXT&th=1
Great. I agree and will have mine replace with shorties. Thanks!
Old 01-04-2020, 04:15 PM   #14
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I am firmly convinced that dually valves are the answer and I don’t understand why they are not standard from Ford.
Greater chance of leaking and higher overall warranty claims and expense. Let the customer suck up that cost. Ford is not the only ones. Freightliner does not install them either. In fact Freightliner even installs the outside dual valve facing inward. I had to pay a fortune (250.00) to have mine rotated outward so I could install my TPMS sensors. They had to remove and break down the tire to do the rotation.
FMCA - F432054
Old 01-11-2020, 06:26 PM   #15

Model: 2019 Thor Aria 3901
State: Illinois
THOR #11051
Triangular rubber grommets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWaterSUX View Post
Sorry I keep meaning to add a tag line
2018 Thor Venetian A40.
Hey BlueWater, Make sure the shallower 1/8" deep side of the grommet is facing out and not the deeper 1/4" side facing out. Also make sure the valve stem extension is protruding thru the middle of the rim hole before the grommet is in place. I had to carefully bend my extension and reverse the grommet. Marty Potts, 2019 Thor Aria 3901.