Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2017, 01:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas
State: Colorado
THOR #9249
Vegas 2 low point drains

After winterizing my 2016 Vegas I noticed there is a red drain next to the blue low point one attached to the fresh water tank. I can't see what this drains, and it exits the floor right next to the blue one. Was all done with antifreeze before I noticed, opened it and it burped out a small amount of water to the ground.

Any idea what this is supposed to drain? I am concerned I missed a length of pipe that will freeze. Thanks.

Old 10-15-2017, 02:54 PM   #2

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
This is the low point drain. I use it to flush/sanitize the fresh water system once a year.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:41 PM   #3

THOR #9249
My understanding is the blue valve drains fresh water tank for winterizing, but I cant see what the red one drains.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:13 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
On my unit the red drains the Hot water and the blue the cold water
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:35 PM   #5

THOR #9249
Makes sense. Maybe when I drained my water heater with the nylon plug outside the unit on the heater itself, it stole the job from the red low point drain. Maybe its a "use either" thing.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:34 AM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Ours has two blue: One for the fresh tank, and the low point cold along with the red one for the hot low point drain.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:01 PM   #7

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Can someone please tell me the purpose of low point drains? Seriously. I’ve asked a number of times but the only answer I get is that they are “for winterizing “. But just opening the drain is not going to be of much help and whether you use compressed air or the pink stuff the lines should be empty or protected when you’re done. The only possibility I can think of is if you use only compressed air and don’t do a very complete job of it there might be a small amount of water left that could get to a line low point - but more likely, it seems to me, will be trapped in a faucet somewhere. I’ve used the pink stuff for years without using a low point valve and have not had a problem. But I’m not to old to learn nor too stubborn to think I’m always right. What am I missing?
Old 10-17-2017, 01:11 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Can someone please tell me the purpose of low point drains? Seriously. I’ve asked a number of times but the only answer I get is that they are “for winterizing “. But just opening the drain is not going to be of much help and whether you use compressed air or the pink stuff the lines should be empty or protected when you’re done. The only possibility I can think of is if you use only compressed air and don’t do a very complete job of it there might be a small amount of water left that could get to a line low point - but more likely, it seems to me, will be trapped in a faucet somewhere. I’ve used the pink stuff for years without using a low point valve and have not had a problem. But I’m not to old to learn nor too stubborn to think I’m always right. What am I missing?
My thoughts: Every RV we've owned (2 TT's, 5er, and the Axis) has had low point drains thus they must be there for something right.

I think they are there to drain the water out of the fresh water system: Open all the faucets and then open the low point drains. Given that they are supposed to be at the lowest point the water should completely drain out.

Now as for winterization: I've used the pink stuff for years as well. Typically one of the last things I do is crack the low point valves to make sure some pink stuff comes out. On our Axis the low point drains are right next to the pump so I'm pretty confident that pink stuff went through them during the normal course of winterization. Thus I don't really find them that useful for this procedure.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:17 PM   #9

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
As the name implies, a low point drain should be at the lowest point in a plumbing system. So if you open the RED (hot water line low point drain) and the BLUE (cold water system low point drain, and then open ALL your hot and cold water valves, all the water in your plumbing system should drain. Also open the low point drain hooked directly to the fresh water tank to drain that tank as well.

For winterizing, I'd remove the drain plug in the water heater tank to be sure all the water is drained from the water heater. I'd open all the low point drains, open all faucets in the kitchen, vanity, shower and the hot & cold on the exterior shower. I'd hook up the compressed air adapter to the shore water inlet and then I'd put compressed air through the water inlet at about 30 or 40 psi. I'd check to be sure air is coming out all the faucets and also all the low point drain. That being the case, the water system should be pretty well purged.

For double protection, I'd configure the water heater bypass valves for winterization and I'd connect a syphon hose to the antifreeze inlet near the water pump. I'd then follow Jamie's good instructions for winterizing using RV antifreeze. Remember you need antifreeze in all the water drain traps (sink, vanity, shower drain) and toilet.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:08 PM   #10

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #6877
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Ours has two blue: One for the fresh tank, and the low point cold along with the red one for the hot low point drain.
My thanks JamieGeek for your clear description of winterization of my Vegas 24.1....was much easier than I thought. As for low drain lines, unlike yours I noticed the holes had never been sealed through the floor - grrrr!
Old 11-01-2017, 06:52 PM   #11

Model: 2017 Thor Vegas 25.2
THOR #7993
In our Vegas the valves for the 2 low point drains are behind the bottom drawer below the stove.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:31 AM   #12

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Oregon
THOR #6934
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1911 View Post
In our Vegas the valves for the 2 low point drains are behind the bottom drawer below the stove.
Don't you love Thor's consistency? In our 2017 25.2 they are behind the drawer under the fridge.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:55 AM   #13

Model: 2017 Thor Vegas 25.2
THOR #7993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirnot View Post
Don't you love Thor's consistency? In our 2017 25.2 they are behind the drawer under the fridge.
No, I don't love it.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:16 PM   #14

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #16017
Our Vegas 24.1 the drains are under the passenger side bed.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:19 PM   #15

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
the low point drains are to get the water out of the piping system only. it does not drain the WH or the FW tank. Some do not have low point drains. My 32' Keystone Sprinter does not have low point drains. I you fill your system with antifreeze you don't need them. BUT if you have them you must drain them.

2 low point drain. hot and cold. 1 FW drain and 1 FW overflow/vent