Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2019, 03:06 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #15798
Vegas 24.1 House Battery Spaghetti

Just bought a Thor 24.1 2015 and the house batteries were abused to the point that they are DOA. I am replacing them and looking under the step I am wondering if the wiring is standard or I am looking at something that has been modified. I see multiple take offs from the battery including a multi cable post in the back, one resettable breaker, a bullet breaker and two more fused links and that is all before I have looked too closely!
Attaching pictures in the hope of some guidance as to if this is standard or modified do that I know how deep to dig.

Ive read through pretty much all the battery posts and any additional insights are appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery left.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	18600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery right.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	18601  

Old 06-30-2019, 02:16 PM   #2

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
Welcome to the Forums:

The hook ups have been modified. In a two battery hook up there should be only one cable per battery post, except for, the negative post of one battery which goes to the chassis ground, and the positive post of the other battery which goes to the "house terminal post". All positive connections(generator, solar, chargers...) should be made to the house terminal post. Your house terminal post is shown in your first picture in the upper left hand corner.

For peace of mind, I always add a catastrophic fuse in the connection of the batteries to the house terminal post. This is a requirement in boating and from my perspective should also apply in RV's. If you are going to add a battery monitor then it would be placed in the negative connection from batteries to chassis ground. I added a third battery under my steps and found a battery watering system makes maintenance far easier.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:31 AM   #3

THOR #15798
Thanks

Hi Peterrr - Thanks for the background. Really helpful as I know I should now probably invest the time to trace everything out and see what the heck they did. I was suspicious but having read a number of threads about build quality it would not have been a shock to hear somebody say it was stock. The plan is to replace these with LiFePO4batteries. I think if I do a few mods to the carrier I can get four 100AH LiFePO4 batteries in then same space. I will put a main breaker in the mix and a new busbar so that all the connections are not on the battery terminals. Still scratching my head about why so many connections to the house battery.. time will tell! I see a few hours on my back under the coach.
Regards
Old 07-01-2019, 03:59 AM   #4

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Those Lithium Ion batteries look pricy
Suggest you research the correct Converter/Charger as the OEM Converter in Vegas/Axis may not function properly with your new battery bank
Old 07-01-2019, 04:23 AM   #5

THOR #15798
Thanks for the flag. Reading all the posts I also decided to ditch the OEM charger. Planning to pair the batteries with an Aims 2000 Inverter/Charger unit that has a LiFePO4 setting. It's going to be a major upgrade and hopefully I can clean up some of the spaghetti that seems to have taken up residency. Wish me luck !