Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-03-2016, 09:16 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alberta
THOR #2852
Vegas / Axis nightshade

My vegas nightshade was working fine. It was lowered in the night position. When the motorhome was restarted the shade would not go up. I can her the short beep when the raise lower button is pressed but there is on a slight movement if any at all.

I watched the you tube video on reprogramming and the issue I have is i can not move the shade during the short or long procedure. Is there anyway to reset the motor entirely ?

Old 04-03-2016, 09:23 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #3306
Quote:
Originally Posted by myhorse View Post
My vegas nightshade was working fine. It was lowered in the night position. When the motorhome was restarted the shade would not go up. I can her the short beep when the raise lower button is pressed but there is on a slight movement if any at all.

I watched the you tube video on reprogramming and the issue I have is i can not move the shade during the short or long procedure. Is there anyway to reset the motor entirely ?
Are you trying to work the shade with the vehicle running? Our Axis will only allow it to roll down/up for about 10inches when fully retracted when vehicle is running. It won't roll up when fully rolled out with vehicle running. Safety feature I guess
Old 04-03-2016, 09:25 PM   #3

THOR #2852
Yes i know about the 10 inches or so up and down while running ( sunvisor effect)
what is happening though is I get no movement whatsoever key in or out but the beep happens and intermittent i may get an 1/8" or so of movement
Old 04-03-2016, 10:24 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I wonder if there is a problem with the limit switch.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:34 PM   #5

THOR #2852
got it sorted
the incremental movement was the fine tuning referred to in the video. repeated hits of the button is what actually moved the shade up or down the entire travel distance versus what he states is "raising or lowering to within 6" of the desired position then fine tuning to the final position with repeat hits of the button

here is a link to diagram instructions

http://unitedshade.com/images/shared..._12%5B2%5D.pdf
Old 04-04-2016, 06:28 AM   #6

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
Thanks for the reference to the programming instructions.

Bruce
Old 08-18-2016, 12:53 AM   #7

State: Tennessee
THOR #4234
My shade does not move at all when I press the button up or down. I also tried to re-program, got the beeping sounds, followed the directions, but again no movement.
Could there be a fuse blown?
I do hear a click when I press the button for the shade control. Right now, the night shade is down about 10 or 12". thanks very much ~debbie
Old 08-18-2016, 01:33 AM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Is your ignition key on when trying this? Perhaps the ignition lockout wire became disconnected and its "permanently" locked out?
Old 08-18-2016, 04:40 AM   #9

THOR #4234
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Is your ignition key on when trying this? Perhaps the ignition lockout wire became disconnected and its "permanently" locked out?
Yes, ignition key was "on". I really don't know what "permanently " locked out means. I understand the words but is this something that is known to happen?
I'm also going to check the fuse in the morning, although it seems if I hear the beeps then it's getting voltage. But, bottom line, I really don't know much about this night shade.
I found the fuse location on another thread that I believe you so kindly posted.
Heading to N. Canton next week to have a new window installed in bedroom. The original window was warped and causing water leakage. Fortunately, the service department did a great patch caulking job to stop the leak until the replacement window came in. Anyway, if I don't have the night shade working soon, I'll add to list of repairs.
Thanks very much. Can it permanently lock me out?
~debbie
Old 08-18-2016, 11:36 AM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Well your ignition key being on is the first part of your problem: The shade has a setting where it will only go about 1/2 way down if the ignition is on--try moving it with the ignition off.

If it moves with the ignition off then you probably will have to reprogram the 1/2 way point. That I don't know how to do, but others have posted the instructions.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:16 PM   #11

THOR #4234
Quote:
Well your ignition key being on is the first part of your problem: The shade has a setting where it will only go about 1/2 way down if the ignition is on--try moving it with the ignition off.

If it moves with the ignition off then you probably will have to reprogram the 1/2 way point. That I don't know how to do, but others have posted the instructions.
Hi Jamie et al, When first pushing the button, and moving the shade from all the way down to a 3/4 up, I did not have the key in the ignition. I was showing a friend how it worked. I then then pushed the button down to bring the shade all the way down, once again. At that point, the shade would not return down, no key in ignition. I then tried both directions with no movement of shade whatsoever. After this, I put the key in the ignition, turned to on and tried to roll shade back up. Again, this would not work.
I then did a search, found "my horse" had a similar problem and he has given the pdf file and I also went to YouTube for a video visual. After printing out the instructions, I went back to my Axis, instructions in hand, and tried to re-program, step-by-step, again to no avail. I'm thinking since MyHorse had some movement in the shade then maybe he had a better outcome.
BTW, I checked the fuse in the outside front cargo area on driver side by pulling it out, going inside and pushing the button. No beeps. I then reinserted the weird looking 5 amp fuse and the beep came back so I think I checked the correct fuse.
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I will be RVing beginning tomorrow. Thanks very much. ~debbie
Old 08-18-2016, 05:47 PM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
I think I'm out of suggestions then: You've pretty thoroughly eliminated the obvious things (ignition, fuse). Since it won't even let you move it I wonder if there is something wrong with the shade itself..

You also could try calling them:
Day Roller Shades | The Dicor Corporation | Official Website
Old 09-02-2016, 10:39 AM   #13

THOR #4234
Quote:
I think I'm out of suggestions then: You've pretty thoroughly eliminated the obvious things (ignition, fuse). Since it won't even let you move it I wonder if there is something wrong with the shade itself..

You also could try calling them:
Day Roller Shades | The Dicor Corporation | Official Website
Update on shade....went to General RV in Ohio for a bedroom warped window replacement and added the United Shade to my small list of problems. The shade had become "deprogrammed". I had to get the technician back out before leaving because when engine was off, the shade wouldn't move from its visor position. He fixed and all was fine.
Went camping through WV and VA, came home, and somehow inadvertently "deprogrammed" the shade once more, again in the visor position. In the meantime, back prior to repair work in Ohio, I'd emailed United Shade for help. Debi Jorn, with United Shade, emailed me me back, said she'd tried to get in touch via cell, but no answer (bad cell service in WV). The technician had reprogrammed the shade before I received the email from Debi Jorn. But, when home, the shade once again lost its programming! I tried programming via directions on You Tube and the written ones, got frustrated and called Debi. She answered, walked me through the process--not the written step-by-step on their site for dual. The key was to MANUALLY roll the shade up to the top, out of the visor position.
After getting it fixed correctly, and hanging up from Debi, I managed to get it deprogrammed once again! GRRRR. But, I successfully reprogrammed all by myself and in the meantime figured out my deprogramming problems. The ignition would be on, then I'd switch off, immediately hit the down shade button and this would put the programming in a tizzy. My guess is that the electrical current from the ignition being on was still passing through the wires when I turned off. I now wait after turning the ignition off before I push the shade button.
BTW, Debi emailed me again, to make sure I was still ok with the shade up/down config.
Great customer service!
In case any of you have a similar problem and and get stuck, here's Debi's info:
Debi Jorn
UNITED SHADE, LLC
2904 Airport Parkway
Elkhart, IN 46514
PH: 574.262.0954 (X302)
F: 574.262.0908
djorn@unitedshade.com
UnitedShade | The Dicor Corporation | Official Website

Thanks all, ~debbie
Old 09-02-2016, 02:31 PM   #14

Model: 2015 vegas 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #1448
Dbeskan
Thanks for posting your outcome & the info.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:55 AM   #15

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
The key was to MANUALLY roll the shade up to the top, out of the visor position.
After getting it fixed correctly, and hanging [/QUOTE]

I have this same problem will not raise ....How do you manually roll up the shade?

Thanks
Old 02-07-2017, 02:42 PM   #16

THOR #4234
I have this same problem will not raise ....How do you manually roll up the shade?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I had to take both my hands, lean over in an awkward position, try to place hands on top of roll at both ends and start rolling, trying to keep the visor from wrinkling while being rolled upward.

Would have been easier with another person helping me.

Also, one must first re-program correctly with the ignition turned on and then do the second programming with the ignition turned off. To be certain, I turned the engine on, (1st programming) and then turned engine off and finally pulled the key out of the ignition for the second part of programming (programming without engine running).

Good luck and I hope it holds for you.