Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2015, 06:38 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #1249
Anyone change their eng. air filter on Vegas or Axis?

Looks like it is a little more involved than just a couple of clamps to loosen. I usually subscribe to Alldata DIY for some info, but they have not listed the 2014 Ford E350 yet and when they do list it, it may not have the same arrangement as the Vegas-Axis.
TIA

Old 10-22-2015, 12:05 AM   #2

THOR #1249
Changed Eng. Air Filter

I have not found any info on changing the Axis-Vegas eng. air filter, so thought I would put down a few notes and pics so it may help others.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3209.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	956

1- 5/16 socket and ratchet required to remove (4) screws.
2- 5/16 socket and ratchet or screw driver required to loosen hose clamp.
3- This clamp separates the filter housing from the hose transition housing. This clamp is a PIA to reinstall-patience and several 4 letter words required.
The hose transition housing has an electrical connection on the backside out of site. I disconnected it to move the transition out of the way for filter removal. There is a finger tab release on the plug. You may have to feel for it as there is not much room to move it around for clearance.
4- This is the filter housing and un-snaps just below the 4 in the upper pic. Once you get 1 thru 3 you can push on it toward the rear and the filter housing will snap loose. May require some effort.

Name:	IMG_3206.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	957
This is the empty filter housing.
May help also if you bundle the tubes and wire cables up and pull them out of the way so you can have a better view and access. It is really dark and close in there.

Name:	IMG_320.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	955
Old filter-New filter
What is interesting is that the filter part no. removed was FA -1634 and my vin # called for FA-1632 which I bought and installed. Only difference I could tell was the color of the flange.
I have over 11k on the trip meter now and the filter is most likely a little dirtier than most since I have been driving quite a few miles in the desert and sandy areas.
You can check for the correct parts by vin# here: https://www.fordparts.com/default.aspx
Old 10-23-2015, 12:18 AM   #3

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Great info. Thanks for sharing.

Thor must leave that out of the manual so owners are pushed to pay a tech to replace it.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:44 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Colorado
THOR #2442
Air filter continued

I needed one further disassembly, there is a joint between the filter housing and the inlet (#4 on your photo). It rotates to separate. Also, the compression band seems to be a bigger impediment than a help. The band goes into orientation pins to orientate it, but it just makes the band get in the way, or comes out of the orientation and not close. I clipped out the pins so I could slide the band sideways. Next I took two 17" bungees (one on either side) to hold the assembly with the filter in place together and oriented with the notch. When together I slid the band over and easily closed the band.
Also be aware that the 2 back screws on #1 of your photo are going into rubber shock absorbers. Make sure these don't slip off when you are removing the part.
With the Bungees, clipping the orientation posts may not have been necessary.
With only 5700 miles, my filter was very dirty.
David
PS The removed filter was a FA1634 as well.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:53 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Colorado
THOR #2442
Watchout for the heater hose

After changing the air filter, I noticed that the console heater in the vehicle did not work. I don't see it in your photo, but the heater hose is just above and to the pass side rear of the air filter. It had been pushed back to get the filter in and was kinked. Easy to unkink, but be aware of the heater hose.
Old 11-04-2016, 03:37 PM   #6

THOR #1249
Changed my air filter again, but this time, lost a rubber mount that davidspixx mentioned from the backside of the mount. So, I used one from the front, then bought a rubber grommet and flat washer from the local hardware store to replace the front which is easier to access.
I stopped by the local Ford dealer to see what one cost and it is beyond belief. The parts guy quoted me in excess of $20. Really, and again with a straight face, the same price.......hence the grommet and flat washer.
He did run me off a parts diagram breakdown below which may come in handy for those changing their own filters. As davidspixx mentioned watch out for those expensive 9B929B's falling off when you remove MAF sensor housing.

Note: Ed, you may want to add this pic to your manual if it is deemed helpful.
Thanks again, for your efforts putting together the manual.

Name:	Air Filter change.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	3305