Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2018, 02:53 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Sunfaded Hurricane

The sun has one side of my 3 year old Hurricane looking 20 years old already. I can not believe it! I am embarrassed to drive it already. Unreal! Salesman told me it would look good for many many years!

Anyone have a suggestion of how to restore it?? I have researched and found a million different products that all claim to be the best. I want an honest review so I came here!

Anyone have a product they have used that works!?

Darren

2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:27 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
I have had the same problem. I ended up using an automotive buffing compound on the front and rear caps and part of the upper right front where it gets hit by the sun. I then started using a product called Rejex to bring back the shine. I noticed this last time out last weekend that it needs it again. I posted the entire process awhile back but I can't find it. May have been on IRV2.

It takes work and it may never look as good as you want it too, but it will look much better. PM me if you have any questions.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:38 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: England
THOR #11569
Gentlemen!

Not to hijack the thread, but how do you prevent it to start with?
or Rather CAN you?
THanks
Old 06-26-2018, 01:53 AM   #4

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Nothing will be a very Permanente fix. Only real fix I know of is paint, which is costly. Lots of waxing, will delay that gel coat fading, but eventually that fading will occur.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:44 AM   #5

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Fading

Our Axis started the fading on the front cap from the CA environment. We had the front cap painted. This was under the PermaPlate warranty. The rear cap and sides started fading too so we had a different contractor come out and brought the finish back with electric buffers. He used Maguire's marine rubbing compound. Looked like new but it is already looking like the fade is coming back.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:02 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #2544
Summerwind, the best way is to keep it washed and waxed every 6 months or more. You could keep it covered. I had health issues so it sat for over a year. I have two covers but am afraid of falling off the roof do to same health issues. I can still wash and wax thank God.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 02:11 PM   #7

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
The sun is brutal and today's RV's are vulnerable. The only real fix is covered. I just bought an 18' X 41' RV carport to be installed in 2 weeks. Cost was $3,700 but when you consider the long-term cost of maintenance of the finish as well as the damage the sun does to A/C covers, interior components, seals and all the plastics on the roof, it's a good investment. Fortunately, I have the space on my property and zoning isn't an issue. If you have a local covered RV storage facility in your area, it's a great option as well. Anything is better than leaving it bake in the sun.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:26 PM   #8

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
I use PoliGlow to minimize fading and restore shine

Living in the harsh (to RV's) environment of South Florida, I keep the fading at bay with PoliGlow. The prep is a must, and it is an art to apply--I have an experienced tech do mine. You will need 7 coats the first time it is applied, and another 2-3 coats applied every 9-12 months. It keeps my RV shiny new. I wash when my coach is dirty with turtle wax wash and wax, simple Palmolive works too, just nothing harsh. If you go with PoliGlow it is a commitment--it wears off over time, that is why the annual reapplication is so important to keep the coach looking new. I have used it on 2 Motorhomes and one boat, all with great results. I used to wax 3-4 times a year--no more!!!! Coach needs to be about 2 years old before it is first applied so that it will adhere. I know others on this forum have not had great results, and I do not know why--but first application must be at least 5 and preferably 7 coats. By the way, I have no affiliation with PoliGlow other than as a product customer. This has been discussed on this forum before, so search for other threads.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:50 PM   #9

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
As mentioned the constant exposure to the sun and all of its UV really kills the finish on any RV. I'm fortunate to be able to store mine in its own closed garage, which really helps preserve it.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:42 PM   #10

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
mine is the same on the nose cone. A couple years ago I tried a few different of different rubbing compounds, polishes, and waxes. I bought an electric buffer. I tried protect-all surface protectant.
all with little improvement.

I was about ready to hire a "pro" to get it buffed out...then I tried the acrylic floor polish trick. I was shocked how good it looked (scrubbed the whole rig hard with barkeepers friend scouring powder, followed by a TSP wash, followed by many light coats of acrylic floor polish.) It looked really good. I always intended to do followup coats periodically to try and keep the shine on, but time got in the way and it now looks as bad...probably worse. Worse not because of the polish I think, but just because more time and more fading.

So lately I've been toying with the idea of a DIY clear enamel top coat to bring back the shine more permanently that the floor polish but cheaper than a pro paint job. I did a test area and it looks good but something went wrong and I didn't get a good hard cure. More work needed to figure it out....

Since mine is primarily just the nose cone and a rather simple area, I'm also wondering about doing one of those vehicle wraps just for that area. Something I have yet to look into...cost? durability?

My main entry door is looking a little down, but the rest of the coach, while not perfect, is still looking more or less ok.