Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2019, 11:46 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #15383
Seiki televisions

Several months ago I bought an ACE 30ft class A from a private seller. It has 3 Seiki tv's and I get very poor picture on all 3 sets when I hookup to RV site cable. They work great when I switch to antenna. When the RV camp maintenance checks the cable connection at the pedestal with his tester he gets good reception. All cable connections to the sets are secure, even the one coming into the coach. Is Seiki a bad outfit or am I missing something? The previous owner passed away so no help there.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:03 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: New York
THOR #5875
You have to turn off the antenna amplifier if yours is equipped with one if you haven't already done so.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:28 AM   #3

Model: Aria 3601
State: North Carolina
THOR #5972
Seiki tv's are garbage. Thor should have never installed those. I replaced mine with Vizio. You do have to cut off the antenna booster when using cable.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:09 AM   #4

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
They will work fine if you shut off the antenna amplifier. Not the best TV but they still do work.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:41 AM   #5

THOR #15383
I do shut off the antenna booster and the bad reception is what I get on cable. I am going to do some experimenting with one of my small portable tv's from home and see if there is a difference.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:56 AM   #6

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Just making sure that you switched to cable on the menu section and then did a channel search? I also know that the cable in some parks is just bad, others are very good.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:09 AM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
Have you taken the time to pull the connection box. I know when I pulled mine not only the OTA cable but the cable wire were hardly screwed on. That may be part of your problem.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:18 AM   #8

Brand: Jayco
Model: Precept 31UL
State: Tennessee
THOR #14508
Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
Have you taken the time to pull the connection box. I know when I pulled mine not only the OTA cable but the cable wire were hardly screwed on. That may be part of your problem.

Thanks - this is one of the items I want to check on ours. Where is the connection box on the 29.3?

Mickey
Old 06-20-2019, 11:05 AM   #9

THOR #15383
Always did the switch.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:08 AM   #10

THOR #15383
The cable connection on the back side of the cable box coming into the coach was loose, tightened it with no improvement. What is OTA?
Old 06-20-2019, 11:09 AM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Have you checked to make sure that your TV cable is okay?
(I hate to ask; but it can often be the simplest things... )
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:28 AM   #12

THOR #15383
It's the same on all 3 tv's. It could be the main line cable which maybe hidden in the coach. I will check more thoroughly when I get back home.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:35 AM   #13
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
The cable connection on the back side of the cable box coming into the coach was loose, tightened it with no improvement. What is OTA?
OTA is Over The Air.

The splitter is part of the signal injector behind the panel with the push button for supplying power to the amplifier.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 07:00 PM   #14

Model: Windsport 31S
State: Tennessee
THOR #5918
Quote:
Several months ago I bought an ACE 30ft class A from a private seller. It has 3 Seiki tv's and I get very poor picture on all 3 sets when I hookup to RV site cable. They work great when I switch to antenna. When the RV camp maintenance checks the cable connection at the pedestal with his tester he gets good reception. All cable connections to the sets are secure, even the one coming into the coach. Is Seiki a bad outfit or am I missing something? The previous owner passed away so no help there.
I had 2 Seiki TVs in our 16 Windsport. Some campgrounds cable distribution systems are not compatible! Seiki said the TV does not have the AQM converter, but I could buy one! I replaced the 2 Seikis!
Little trouble since due to connectors.
Good luck.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:36 AM   #15

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
My outside SEIKI tv just crapped out. Only 2 yrs old and the colors are all but gone. It’s kind of a blessing as these TVs are really junk. Time for a Samsung or LG smart tv.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:39 AM   #16
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:

There was a large batch of Seiki TVs used by Thor that didn’t have the QAM tuner, and wouldn’t work with some campground systems...but if you are getting a picture, this isn’t it...

With all 3 TVs having an issue, I’d suspect an issue in the main cable between the exterior jack and the distribution switch... Run a cable direct from the pedestal to a TV to confirm... or try a tester...
My 2014 Hurricane has a bad cable... I’m guessing it was pierced by some later assembly... I ran a new cable bypassing it rather than tearing apart walls. Had snow on many channels - worse on lower ones... tester would not carry a tone from the exterior jack to the rear of distribution box.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:11 PM   #17

Model: Challenger LX
State: Arkansas
THOR #6651
I was never able to get park cable to work with any of the three Seikis installed in my 2017 Challenger. I thought about getting some QAM tuners to see if that would work, but never got around to that.

I did install FireSticks on all three Seikis and I get a pretty decent picture as long as I have a strong enough cell phone signal or park WiFi.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:58 AM   #18

THOR #15383
Seiki tv's

Greg, what do you mean by "tester"?
Old 07-02-2019, 03:05 PM   #19
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Greg, what do you mean by "tester"?

Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Stanz-Pocket-.../dp/B01KZ0PL44

It’s actually 2 pieces... small piece goes on one end... largest piece to other end of cable, and if all is good you hear a tone...

It will not work through a splitter, but the line from rear jack to distribution box shouldn’t have a splitter... (a coupler is ok...)

Worked great for figuring out the nest of wires in attic of ‘new’ sticks and bricks house too.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:36 PM   #20

Model: ACE 27.2
State: New Jersey
THOR #3828
Make sure the cable connections are tight. I couldn't get a clear picture and tested a stand alone TV and it worked fine. Started shaking the TV in bedroom and dining area and the picture would show signs of no snow. Tightened the connections behind TV and all was fine.