Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2015, 09:35 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Ohio
THOR #2079
Vinyl Graphics Failed

I have a 2011 Hurricane 32A and the vinyl graphics have failed on one side. I have tried to get replacements thru Thor and the local dealer (America Choice RV, Ocala, FL) with absolutely no results or recommendations. All I have been able to ascertain is that they are a vendor item and neither the dealer nor the company has been helpful. At this point I have removed them (no small job) and painted them back on. Very frustrating for what should have been a routine job. I will eventually strip the other side and paint them as well. Not happy with Thor, they have not responded to the dealer enquiry.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:20 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
I am not sure if you are aware of it's existence, but there is a vinyl decal removal tool you can buy that is a common item in the auto body industry. It looks like a wheel that you can chuck into a drill and it will strip off the graphics.

They are available at body shops or sometimes on eBay.

Remove Vinyl Pinstripe and Graphics Eraser Arbor | eBay

If the coach is new enough, you might be able to pull the graphics off in sheets for the most part, then touch it up with one of those tools.

It does take a bit of finessing though to use the tool. You can burn the fiberglass if you overdo it.

I removed about 200 running ft of vinyl graphics with one of those wheels on my last boat as they had deteriorated over time.

It still isn't easy with a removal tool, but it can be done with enough patience.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:23 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Too late now, as you have painted already.

However, there is a cottage industry for making replacement RV decals, (and advertising, body wraps, etc). Any good automotive body shop , (or insurance company adjuster), has the connections.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:40 PM   #4

THOR #2079
Vinyl Graphics

Thanks for the replies. I did in fact use the rubber eraser wheel to remove the majority of the vinyl. Worked very well! Rather than the expensive 3M wheels I used AES wheel for about 1/4 the cost.

My original attempts were with a heat gun and plastic body chislels. Too slow, adhesive doesn't come off clean, and high risk of damaging the fiberglas/gel coat by overheating (don't ask why I know that!).

I could not find a vinyl trim supplier that could duplicate what I had and I didn't want to get too far afield from the opposite site. So I masked off the 'ghost'; wet sanded with 400; dried and cleaned the areas; re-masked, tack ragged and painted the stripes and "swooshes" with Rustoleum and a 4" roller. Tried a sponge roller first, but it left too many solvent bubbles that had to be brushed out with the brush "tips". Switched to a cloth roller from Lowes (drawer and panel roller) which worked much better.

The results are not perfect, biggest flaw is that I didn't get the masking perfectly straight or perfectly curved. But from 20' you can't tell the difference. The "swooshes" don't match the opposite side which are printed vinyl, but I will soon be removing them and painting to match.

Hope others find this useful and informative
Old 05-26-2015, 08:20 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
THOR #531
Those "gum eraser" wheels are the only advice I can give. Sounds you are on the right track. And as you discovered, when removing the decals, there will be a shade difference where the sun faded the gel coat.

Over time, the fade will subside as the previously protected area fades from the exposure to the sun, but it will never disappear completely. On fiberglass boats, when sometimes the owner changes the name on the stern, you can still see the old name outline years later if you look at the stern at a certain angle.

So I can understand you wanting to paint on the stripes as covering them in the same pattern will be the only way to keep the faded areas from showing.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:34 PM   #6

Model: ACE
State: Nevada
THOR #3170
Vinyl Graphics

we have discoloring of our vinyl graphics only in 3 places by the door has anyone had any thing like this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	23 0065.jpg
Views:	697
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	1006  
Old 11-02-2015, 09:03 PM   #7

THOR #2079
Vinyl Graphics

It is difficult to determine from the picture, even after zooming in (picture gets fuzzy). However, it appears to be black mold either on the surface or underneath the vinyl. The vinyl and the fiberglass gelcoat are both organic substances which mold growth is probable.

Recommend a weak solution of bleach (1:5/6) wiped on the vinyl to see if that will remove it - takes a few minutes after application. If not, the defect is between the body surface and the vinyl and the only solution is to remove and replace the graphic.

Again, this presumes it is black mold. If not, I can't offer any advice.
SMI Stay 'n Play Duo brakes
ocalarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 01:36 AM   #8

THOR #8207
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimoo77 View Post
we have discoloring of our vinyl graphics only in 3 places by the door has anyone had any thing like this
happened to ours also. Replaced decal and it came back a few months later worst.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:03 AM   #9

Model: 2015 windsport 34E
THOR #4092
same here

gold colored vinyl on top end of my windsport has what appears to be black mold on or under it. any luck with cleaning? or where do i get the graphic replacement?
Old 09-16-2017, 12:54 PM   #10

THOR #8207
Replaced ours

I got the decal from Thor but it happened again. I'm just going to remove it and leave it off. Another dealer told me the sun bakes the decal but why the same one?
Old 09-16-2017, 12:56 PM   #11

THOR #8207
Ours happened on the door also, replaced and it happened again . This time it's worse.
Old 12-23-2017, 03:21 PM   #12

THOR #10314
Moldy graphics

I wonder how many of us Thor owners are having this issue. I look at other manufacturer's vehicles of the same age as mine (2014) and I don't see this issue. Why only Thor? It has ruined the look of my Motorhome and I've been given cost estimates of $6000-7000 to repair it. Help!
Old 12-23-2017, 03:58 PM   #13

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davakelly View Post
I wonder how many of us Thor owners are having this issue. I look at other manufacturer's vehicles of the same age as mine (2014) and I don't see this issue. Why only Thor? It has ruined the look of my Motorhome and I've been given cost estimates of $6000-7000 to repair it. Help!
I have already had some exterior finish painting done on our '16 Axis by a place called The Paint Department in Chino, CA. You might touch bases with them. Talk to "Chuck".
Old 12-23-2017, 05:00 PM   #14

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
The Paint Department does good work, though they do not give it away. I am not a big fan of vinyl graphics. When mine fail, which they will eventually, I will have the graphics painted on, but hope that will not be for some time.
Old 12-26-2017, 03:27 PM   #15

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
I believe Thor has a part number for each decal on the RV, at least on the newer ones. I have a 2018 Chateau, and the dealer told me that each decal has a part number if it needs to be replaced. I had to replace a compartment door, and Thor sent me the new door and the decal that goes on it, so it seems to be true.
Old 12-26-2017, 05:21 PM   #16
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Sounds like a Defect in the Vinyl supply for that lot# ?? Thor should have Supplier send EVERYONE a replacement in a different brand of vinyl as a fix !
...I would find out supplier and BOMBARD EVERYONE in the Company with EMAILS.... They Know they have a "Bad Run" it happens.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:51 AM   #17

Model: Outlaw 29h
State: New Jersey
THOR #8445
I have a 2017 Outlaw 29h. I found this thread after I noticed the “Outlaw” decal that is up on the front of the cab pealing. My neighbor said he’s never had a problem with his decals & he’s had his outside for six years. Is this a warranty item? If Thor sends me the decal where can I get the original letters that are peeling removed & the new letters applied? I really don’t want CW to hold my RV sitting outside while the condition of the decal lettering gets worse. Thanks.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:23 AM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Ours are just coming unglued from the rig.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:08 AM   #19

Model: Outlaw 29h
State: New Jersey
THOR #8445
Now in addition to dead chassis battery there are pealing letters....are we having fun yet?
Old 04-09-2018, 04:25 AM   #20

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
go to a local sign company that does signs for trucks and van, they can duplicate what you need