Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2019, 07:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
Vinyl trim insert coming loose

Getting the RV ready for our first trip of the season and I discovered this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	3563A1DD-E32A-44DF-8FCC-EE138BB3A959.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	16586
It’s the vinyl trim insert that goes into the track of the aluminum extrusion that starts on the shell just behind the driver and passenger doors, and ends at the top of the over cab bunk fairing. It’s fastened on each end so it has apparently shrunk so it will no longed stay in the track.
I found this on the web Click image for larger version

Name:	EFDCE720-875F-4CC3-9BAA-B50FF4F860C9.jpeg
Views:	236
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	16587 so it looks like it would be fairly easy to replace. My question is, has anyone else experienced the same thing happening on ther rig?

LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:12 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Happens all the time. A quick temp fix is, warm up with hair dryer and re insert.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:14 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31D
State: Virginia
THOR #5638
The tape, for lack of a better term, does seem to shrink with age. On my Class A the tape has shrunk about 4 inches and a camping partner's class C is just like yours. I live with mine but it's not as noticable. Easy to replace and leave a little extra at the end if possible so you can rework if necessary without adding more or replacing, again.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:36 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 31L
State: California
THOR #2917
Same here. I just cut it and put back in channel. Local RV repair shop has four other rigs with same issue. All have same color vinyl trim so RV shop is ordering large roll from Thor.
Where did you find the vinyl trim? DIY would be cheapest and quickest fix.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181123_142353.jpeg
Views:	193
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	16588
dlbeck27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:00 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
This seems to be such a common issue, that I hope someone at the Factory will sit up and take notice of it.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:47 AM   #6

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
I thought about the heat with a hairdryer method, but figured that as soon as it cooled off, it would shrink again.
So for now, I cut the vinyl and reinserted into the track. It left about an inch and a half gap.
Went online and searched for a replacement. Found several sites that sell it in rolls of 25 and 100 feet. They include Walmart.com, etrailer.com and amazon.com.
I ordered from amazon.com https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Vinyl-I...0006JLW5C?th=1
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:25 AM   #7

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
that stuff has a rather large coefficient of thermal expansion it seems. We have a PVC product where I work that changes 1/16 in for an 18 ft piece for every 10 degrees F. They probably installed it at a very warm temperature...and stretched it into place tacking it tight at both ends.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:02 PM   #8

Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Arizona
THOR #14946
Same for us on our 2018 Freedom Elite, still under warranty so they replaced it - twice already. Hopefully Thor is paying attention since it is on record this way.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:36 PM   #9

Model: Outlaw 29H Class C
State: California
THOR #7010
I store my C rig outside, and a nice big class A is kind enough to block much of the sun on one side. A 5th Wheel on the other side isn’t as helpful so I get more direct sun to the front cab, and that’s the side I see this separation on. I noticed the bottom end was pinned down to the track. I was able to detach the bottom and re-insert the now shrunken piece of trim back in and it’s been fine since. Either it’s not shrinking any more, or untacking the bottom is allowing it to expand and contract as needed inside the track.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:43 PM   #10

State: Virginia
THOR #13629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickstand View Post
I store my C rig outside, and a nice big class A is kind enough to block much of the sun on one side. A 5th Wheel on the other side isn’t as helpful so I get more direct sun to the front cab, and that’s the side I see this separation on. I noticed the bottom end was pinned down to the track. I was able to detach the bottom and re-insert the now shrunken piece of trim back in and it’s been fine since. Either it’s not shrinking any more, or untacking the bottom is allowing it to expand and contract as needed inside the track.
I had that problem on my Thor four winds. I pulled it out of the track all the way down. I loosened the bottom screw about a turn, and eased an extra inch out from where it's wrapped and tucked under. I tightened up the screw, and reinstated the trim in the track. No problem!!
Old 05-02-2019, 03:22 AM   #11

Model: Hurricane 29m
State: Florida
THOR #13665
My Freedom Elite also has this problem. I noticed it was anchored at the bottom and was wondering what would happen if it was let loose. This trim seems a lot more flexible from my previous RVs. It is easy to pull out and put back in.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:00 PM   #12

Model: Chateau 28F
State: Colorado
THOR #2768
I had the same issue and when talking to 4 Seasons RV they recommended heating, reinserting then putting in 3 self taping screws with washers to hold it in. No more problems.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:44 PM   #13

State: Ohio
THOR #2720
Just experienced the same thing. Due to plasticizer migration vinyl will shrink over time. You can compensate for that by snapping in the insert and pushing back towards the starting point of the installation at the same time. It doesn't take any more time to do that but since the folks on the production floor don't know what they are doing they snap it in and stretch the material at the same time so eventually you get what we have all got.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:19 PM   #14

THOR #14946
Trim flew out and caused damage

Upon our second year of travel with our rig the vinyl trim flew out on the drivers side base all the way up to the roof where it was held in place with heavy silicone. We were on the freeway at the time, pulled over just as soon as it was safe and found the trim flapping in the wind had scratched up the rig. We are now looking for replacement trim and trying to figure out how to keep it in place. This is after two factory replacements of the trim.
Old 05-08-2021, 07:59 PM   #15

State: Connecticut
THOR #15443
Plastic trim

It’s mentioned there is a screw that can be loosened to pull, where do I find that screw? Do I have to pull the plastic out at the bottom of the coach to find it under it? Thank you
Old 05-08-2021, 08:19 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
. I'd resist the urge to try and tighten it...
Think how much it'll shrink as the temperatures start dropping...
Old 05-11-2021, 12:17 AM   #17

THOR #14946
Plastic Trim Screws

The screws on our rig were found under the base of the rig at the bottom of the vinyl trim track. Since our trim had already been replaced twice at the dealership, there were additional screws found throughout the track, this is what caused most of the damage when it flew out while driving on the freeway. We purchased the roll of vinyl tape from Amazon and keep in handy for replacing when necessary.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:20 AM   #18

State: Connecticut
THOR #15443
Thank you AZmc. Are those screws under the plastic strip or
At the base of the vinyl trim track? I don’t see any screws under the coach exposed.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:38 AM   #19

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronmac View Post
I had the same issue and when talking to 4 Seasons RV they recommended heating, reinserting then putting in 3 self taping screws with washers to hold it in. No more problems.
This is what I have done numerous times on prior coach. It is a permanent fix. and costs next to nothing.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 03:23 AM   #20

THOR #14946
Cruiser, the screws were located just under the RV at the base of the trim track, the vinyl was run under the coach with the screw going through it to hold it in place. After replacing the trim twice at the dealership, the screws were added at the top and the bottom of the trim track they added silicone to the top and bottom where the screws were added too.

After purchasing the new vinyl trim (DIY), the screws were removed, new trim put in place, along with silicone and screws on top of the rig, the bottom left loose with extra trim to allow for shrinkage. No more trouble.