Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2023, 07:58 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Help hard water hose attachment?

At brothers house. They use well water.
They have a softener but I still see white residue on their house faucets.
I have the blue water filter.
Any small hose attachments for HARD WATER?
THANKS our camping friends

Old 08-02-2023, 08:11 PM   #2

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Ion exchange is the only way to remove hardness other than reverse osmosis.

The blue filter is a 20-micron nominal particulate filter only. No cost-effective ion exchange columns are available. They are out there but typically for lab or polishing use.

Some of the white residue you see could be anions (sulfate, nitrate, silica, alkalinity etc.} and of course Na or K since they have a softener filled with cation resin.

Best way to check hardness is with Hardness indicator and EDTA titrant.
Old 08-02-2023, 08:50 PM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #20184
Usually water softeners only soften the water for indoors. Outdoor faucets are not plumbed into water softener.
Old 08-02-2023, 10:10 PM   #4

THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip500 View Post
Usually water softeners only soften the water for indoors. Outdoor faucets are not plumbed into water softener.
Cold water to the kitchen is often unsoftenened to minimize Na as well

I always run a softened hot and cold to the garage, for both a dog wash and vehicle wash station

Usually fill the Tuscany tank there unless we're headed to a locale with better water

As Skip noted, outside hydrants should always be plumbed ahead of the water softener
Old 08-02-2023, 11:39 PM   #5

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip500 View Post
He hooked it to the outside water 💧
Old 08-02-2023, 11:41 PM   #6

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Cold water to the kitchen is often unsoftenened to minimize Na as well

I always run a softened hot and cold to the garage, for both a dog wash and vehicle wash station

Usually fill the Tuscany tank there unless we're headed to a locale with better water

As Skip noted, outside hydrants should always be plumbed ahead of the water softener

Interesting.
He said he does not wash his car or rv with softener water.
I was going to try..He said no.

I think he still sees WHITE stuff on faucets in the house.
Old 08-03-2023, 01:03 AM   #7

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
The white residue is the salt from the water softening system. The system needs some attention.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 09:54 AM   #8

THOR #6903
TDS and ion balance determine water quality geographicaly

High TDS water is going to leave residue anywhere it dries

Calcium carbonate is typically the white residue noted from hard water supplies

An ion exchange unit not regenerated properly can also leave residue , as noted by Lt,

Check the softener in question to see if it is actually removing the Ca and Mg plus Fe.

I wash vehicles with softened water and all car washs in the Midwest have softened water

Most newer facilities have RO rinse to minimize paint damage from high TDS well water

Either you rinse off the ions or chamois them

Many folks like white vehicles as they minimize the water spots

Alluvial waters and wells in porous formations are most likely to be high in hardness and TDS

Most aquifers are drawn way down, and water quality has deteriated significantly

People need to analyze private wells or get copies of public water supplies, then check their equipment to be sure it has proper settings
Old 08-03-2023, 01:12 PM   #9

THOR #20220
Correct. Years ago I built a home in Peoria AZ on well & water softener.
No white residue.
I will let him know to check his settings
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 01:29 PM   #10

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
If the a water softener is not sized correctly it can still leave the water less hard but still too hard. In drought conditions well water can change its grains of hardness.

Some brands of softeners recharge on a timer set for so many days. Having guests will cause the cycle to be too long and allow unsoftened water to pass before the new cycle comes on.

You could try something like this. Different sized are available: https://www.amazon.com/Go-OTG3NTP3M-...73573426&psc=1
Old 08-03-2023, 02:30 PM   #11

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy View Post
If the a water softener is not sized correctly it can still leave the water less hard but still too hard. In drought conditions well water can change its grains of hardness.

Some brands of softeners recharge on a timer set for so many days. Having guests will cause the cycle to be too long and allow unsoftened water to pass before the new cycle comes on.

You could try something like this. Different sized are available: https://www.amazon.com/Go-OTG3NTP3M-...73573426&psc=1

Thanks will review
Old 08-03-2023, 04:09 PM   #12

Model: Tuscany 42GX
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy View Post

Very true

Most new softeners are designed to regenerate based on gallons of throughput which is the ideal way.

They are also counter current regenerated so much more efficient.

If a softener is run to exhaustion as your scenario would be the unit must be regenerated twice back-to-back to regain capacity.

Cation resin can foul from high iron or barium in the water requiring cleaning. A good practice is to use salt with iron removal chemicals added if your water has iron.

High chloring levels degrade the resin also reducing the 20 years or so typical usable life. Osmotic shock may occur breaking the beads resulting in loss when backwashing. Capacity will diminish subsequently.

Test water and compare it with the setting on a unit to see if regeneration is set with proper pounds of salt versus gallons of water to be softened per cycle.
Old 08-03-2023, 08:42 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
I have one of the oldest Whirlpool 33,000 grain water softeners around (1998) actually made by A O Smith. It does have a magnetic flow meter in the outlet. All you have to do set the water hardness and regenerates when necessary. I do use a water softener cleaner (1/2 cup) every 6 bags of salt pellets.
In the RV, I use a 360H2O (defunct) 8,000 grain portable unit. It last about 2 weeks and takes 26 oz salt grains in one gallon of water to regenerate. If you use campground water west of the Mississippi, I highly recommend you have one. Just make sure you can regulate the bypass. If you use water straight out of the softener, you will never get the soapy feel out of everything. A little hardness in the water is a good thing.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 01:33 AM   #14

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
I have one of the oldest Whirlpool 33,000 grain water softeners around (1998) actually made by A O Smith. It does have a magnetic flow meter in the outlet. All you have to do set the water hardness and regenerates when necessary. I do use a water softener cleaner (1/2 cup) every 6 bags of salt pellets.
In the RV, I use a 360H2O (defunct) 8,000 grain portable unit. It last about 2 weeks and takes 26 oz salt grains in one gallon of water to regenerate. If you use campground water west of the Mississippi, I highly recommend you have one. Just make sure you can regulate the bypass. If you use water straight out of the softener, you will never get the soapy feel out of everything. A little hardness in the water is a good thing.
They are reviewing softener setup.
When we dumped filled tank somewhere else.
If not addressed, will fill again when dumped.
Thanks
Old 08-04-2023, 11:26 AM   #15

THOR #6903
Enjoy your trip and cooler weather!
Old 08-04-2023, 02:44 PM   #16

THOR #20220
Cooler in montana next few days. Other family members coming today with motorhomes.
1 30 amp & 1 50 amp AND 1 water hookup with splitter

Will be interesting
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote