Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2015, 09:40 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32N
State: Virginia
THOR #2169
Water leaking from under slide when retracted

We just got back from a trip from SE Virginia to upstate New York. On the trip, we noticed water leaking from under the slide while driving. It was NOT raining outside. At first I thought it may have been from when the slide was out before we left and the sprinklers hit it. But it happened again on the way home, again with no outside rain. We stayed with my folks when we're in NY and only used the RV to get up there in back (4 adults and kiddos going). There was also water around the bottom of the bed.

This was our first long road trip and I ran the water pump the whole way up and back to provide pressure for the faucets and toilet.

Could it be the water pump? If so, where is it located? We have taken the RV for a weekend camping trip with it hooked up to shore water without a problem, so I'm thinking this is a holding tank/water pump problem.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Jody

Jody
Yorktown, VA
2015 Hurricane 32N, 2015 Kia Optima, 2016 Master Tow
wacopolumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:11 AM   #2

Model: 29.3
State: Massachusetts
THOR #2125
Best way I found to empty the fresh water tank is to open the Kitchen faucet and turn on the water pump . This will empty the fresh water tank pretty quickly ,then dump the grey water tank.
Fgianni
Old 07-06-2015, 11:53 AM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Jody

First suggestion, if you have not already done so, is to pull the bottom kitchen cabinet drawers and look to see if there is a loose connection on a water line. Also look around under the sink for evidence of a possible sink drain leak.

Second, call or email Thor and ask for a fresh water diagram. This diagram will give you the general location of the water pump on your coach. While you are at it you may want to ask for the waste water and electrical diagrams at the same time.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:41 AM   #4

THOR #2169
All the under cabinet stuff is good. I called Thor and found out the fresh water tank and pump are under the bed. That's where my problem is. I opened the hatch and there was standing water. I dried it up and turned on the water pump, no leak. Then I ran the sink water and the pump started running and water started coming out from under the pump. I am 99% sure the pump itself is leaking. This is the first time we have used the fresh water tank and water pump. The water has caused water damage to all the paneling around the bed. Also, it got into the under-bed storage, where I had stored the table for between the driver and passenger and that has started absorbing water.

I believe what happened is that as the pump leaked, with the slide retracted the water made the short trip from the bottom of the bed to the slide seal and ran up and down the seal as I accelerated or slowed down. When I would extend the slide during the trip, the water would be "dragged" across the floor.

I need to check the outdoor kitchen wall too, because the water tank compartment buts-up against the outdoor kitchen wall.

I will call Thor and my dealer in the morning. I hope the dealer has a pump they can install and then order all the paneling and other damaged material for a service call later on (when they replace my awning lights and damage the PDI man made to our interior trim).

We have a camping trip planned for the weekend after next.

At least I know what the problem is, the bad part is that I have half a tank of fresh water to get out without somehow running the pump.

Jody
Yorktown, VA
Old 07-07-2015, 11:40 AM   #5

Model: Palazzo
State: Florida
THOR #2248
To empty the tank you should be able to use the low point drain. Just open it up and let it drain. They are usually in or close to the sanitary compartment but not sure in yours. Look under the "winterization" section of the owners manual.

Good luck on repairs.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:17 PM   #6

THOR #2169
Quote:
Originally Posted by ournextstop View Post
To empty the tank you should be able to use the low point drain. Just open it up and let it drain. They are usually in or close to the sanitary compartment but not sure in yours. Look under the "winterization" section of the owners manual.

Good luck on repairs.
Thanks, I found the drain valve. It's in the outdoor kitchen cabinet. It's draining.

Jody
Yorktown, VA
Old 07-08-2015, 01:51 PM   #7

THOR #2169
Called my dealership today and I will drop the coach off on Friday (my day off) and they will look at what they have in stock (they have a stock of paneling to replace the paneling under the bed) and what they have to order. Either way, I will pick the coach up on Friday and bring it back when they have it all in-stock. They seemed really helpful on the phone. We'll see how it goes. I will keep you guys updated.

Jody
Yorktown, VA
Old 07-09-2015, 01:53 AM   #8

Model: 2014 Hurricane 34f
State: Arkansas
THOR #1845
wacopolumbo- sorry that I have been busy the last few days and haven't been on the forum to see your original post. I could have saved you a little time on where to locate your problem. We had the exact same issue on our first long trip when we were in St. George UT. Luckily we caught it early and had the pump replaced there before any water damage was done. The RV tech said the pump he put in was a definite upgrade from the original.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:02 PM   #9

THOR #2169
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shooter View Post
wacopolumbo- sorry that I have been busy the last few days and haven't been on the forum to see your original post. I could have saved you a little time on where to locate your problem. We had the exact same issue on our first long trip when we were in St. George UT. Luckily we caught it early and had the pump replaced there before any water damage was done. The RV tech said the pump he put in was a definite upgrade from the original.
Well, I took it to the dealer today and they are ordering all the needs parts/materials today for the pump and a couple other issues.

However, I noticed an oil spot on my driveway and sure enough, the bottom of the engine is wet. So I dropped the Coach off at the local Ford dealer. They said they might not get to it until Monday. I'm curios as to where the oil is doing from...

Jody
Yorktown, VA
Old 07-10-2015, 04:37 PM   #10

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
As a side note I was always told to not leave the water pump on all the time and only turn on when needed.

And we mostly camp with hookups so the water pump is not needed then.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:40 PM   #11

THOR #2169
Yeah. we hadn't used it until the long road trip. It was only on while we were going down the road.

Jody
Yorktown, VA
Old 07-13-2015, 08:11 PM   #12

THOR #2169
Found out that it was NOT oil but power steering fluid. The line to the reservoir is leaking. They have it on order for us. Big relief that it's not an engine oil problem.

Jody
Yorktown, VA
Old 07-13-2015, 09:23 PM   #13

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Did you have your air conditioning on?! Mine runs down on the slide awning cover while running and accumulated there as the cover is sagging. Then when I close the slide, you can see all the water run off. This water then finds it's way in under the slide while driving home. Just a little, just enough to notice. Think this might be it!?
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote