Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2018, 05:11 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
THOR #13608
Water line issue

So I have a new KM24 Quantum that I picked up a couple weeks ago from the dealer and the family and I went to take it out for its maiden voyage. Initially at the walk through when we picked it up everything worked good but no hot water. They said they would need to keep it to figure out why there was no power on the instant hot water heater display but after a couple minutes of poking around with a voltage meter I soon found a wire that I traced to not even be hooked up into the wire but from the power supply... at this point I was offered a job from the “head mechanic” at the rv shop... I was less than flattered.

Anywho.. fast forward to this weekend. We had everything stocked up and I wanted to do a quick check of the systems before hitting the road. I wanted to make sure the hot water heater was still working so I decided to let it run for a bit with the water pump through the kitchen sink. After just a couple minutes I heard a “pop” and water was running under the seat at the table. I shut off the pump and found a hose on the hot water line had blown off. It was hooked up up a quick connect/drip line type fitting so I figured maybe it was just loose. I hooked it back up, primed the line and ran it for awhile to make sure no leaks. After a few minutes the line with hot water swelled up twice its size and again blew off, this time in my face which was not as refreshing as one my guess. Upon closer inspection, the clear poly tube on the water lines that run under the seat states that it is only rated for 130 degrees and “no pressure, fresh water”.

Why would they use this for the water line?? I need to call Thor and the dealer to figure out who put it in because I can’t be the only one. I assumed it would all be pex pipe with appropriate fittings but since that was not the case and I did not want to surrender my maiden voyage to this I ran to Lowe’s, threw together some water lines and it ran flawless this weekend.

Please shares thoughts and comments, I know these things aren’t built well but who puts a non pressure rated cold water hose on a pressurized hot water line??

Before and after:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CE292CDE-9182-4833-8DDC-A123F2EE4199.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	14144   Click image for larger version

Name:	0278E003-25AE-49C0-835B-5F3AB63B07CF.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	14145  

Old 11-19-2018, 08:59 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Yeah sounds like they used the wrong waterlines. Was that for your outside shower?

Looked like you have it fixed correctly now. Nice job.

Last year I was forced to learn so much about RV's. Cant count on the local CW - plus most of the time I can fix myself on the cheap in 30 minutes or an hour.

Good thing I dont mind getting my hand dirty and I have plenty of tools on board.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote