Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2017, 05:16 PM   #1

State: California
THOR #6979
Water line noise

2017 Palazzo. When I turn on the water or use the toilet, I get a vibrational noise in the water lines. I'm thinking there is air trapped in there. I open all water line sources except the toilet thinking this would cure it. No luck. Any ideas?

Old 04-02-2017, 05:44 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Is the noise when you are on city water or using the water pump?
Old 04-02-2017, 11:32 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyvaleslim View Post
2017 Palazzo. When I turn on the water or use the toilet, I get a vibrational noise in the water lines. I'm thinking there is air trapped in there. I open all water line sources except the toilet thinking this would cure it. No luck. Any ideas?
I had an issue last fall with mine. The water line was vibrating on top of the fresh water tank. After a lot of investigating it turned out to be from the water pump running in rapid bursts. I changed the house filter and cleaned the small filter that leads into the water pump. Not sure which one was the actual problem but the problem was solved. I suspect it was the small screen/filter on the inlet side to the pump...it had some sand caught in it.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:04 AM   #4

THOR #6979
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post

When using the water pump!
Old 04-03-2017, 04:05 AM   #5

THOR #6979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
I had an issue last fall with mine. The water line was vibrating on top of the fresh water tank. After a lot of investigating it turned out to be from the water pump running in rapid bursts. I changed the house filter and cleaned the small filter that leads into the water pump. Not sure which one was the actual problem but the problem was solved. I suspect it was the small screen/filter on the inlet side to the pump...it had some sand caught in it.

Thanks Miramar Owner! I'll check that filter and report back!
Old 04-03-2017, 10:23 AM   #6

THOR #5196
First check filters like Miramar suggested. You may also want to think about installing a water pump silencing kit and accumulator the parts are relatively inexpensive and available on Amazon. I've installed the kits on my last three MHs, they will reduce the noise quite a bit, smooth out the flow from your faucets, and also reduce pump cycling. Easy install, two hoses and a small tank. Something to consider.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:04 PM   #7

Model: Chateau 28F
State: Colorado
THOR #2768
Had the same issue and solved it by putting foam pipe insulation on the water lines at the water pump. The lines were vibrating against the walls. You can also change the hard plastic waterlines going to and from the pump with soft lines like you would use for your home toilet. They dissipate the vibration.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:01 PM   #8

THOR #6979
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post

Water pump
Old 04-10-2017, 10:34 PM   #9

Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
State: Missouri
THOR #6040
My water pump seems to be making much more noise than I expect. I think it got louder and more of a knocking noise while filling the hot water tank.

First order - check and clean the filter, is this usually the culprit.

Second, I will look into an accumulator, are the smallish basic units enough, or not worth the effort?
Old 04-10-2017, 10:51 PM   #10

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by wredman View Post
My water pump seems to be making much more noise than I expect. I think it got louder and more of a knocking noise while filling the hot water tank.

First order - check and clean the filter, is this usually the culprit.

Second, I will look into an accumulator, are the smallish basic units enough, or not worth the effort?
Get the accumulator and water pump silencing kit, doesn't make a huge difference but it will make some. You can get both from Amazon.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:42 PM   #11

Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
State: Missouri
THOR #6040
does the silencing kit provide all of the connecting fitting required to splice the accumulator into the existing plumbing, or will I be walking up and down the hardware store with a bag of hoses and fittings looking for matching pieces to complete the connection? Been there before.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:04 PM   #12

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by wredman View Post
does the silencing kit provide all of the connecting fitting required to splice the accumulator into the existing plumbing, or will I be walking up and down the hardware store with a bag of hoses and fittings looking for matching pieces to complete the connection? Been there before.
Between the accumulator and silencing kit you should have everything you need. I had to unscrew my pump from the floor and move it a little to get everything to line up. Make sure you have pump off then open a faucet to release the pressure before starting the work.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:11 AM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Another thing you might look at is the installation of the water pump. Mine went bad in my 2014 Vegas and when I went to replace it with a Surflo, the instructions said do not connect the water pump directly to plastic pipe. Make sure you have a 6" hose between the pump and plastic pipe to dampen vibration from the pump. Not only can it damage the pump, but the vibration of the pipe causes quite a bit of noise.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:38 AM   #14

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Another thing you might look at is the installation of the water pump. Mine went bad in my 2014 Vegas and when I went to replace it with a Surflo, the instructions said do not connect the water pump directly to plastic pipe. Make sure you have a 6" hose between the pump and plastic pipe to dampen vibration from the pump. Not only can it damage the pump, but the vibration of the pipe causes quite a bit of noise.
Many pumps come installed directly to the plastic pipe, ours did. The silencing kit has to flexible hose that help absorb vibration and in turn reduce noise.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1805.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	4555

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1816.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	4556

Before and after photos. I made my own hoses but just because I already had parts to do so. This is how a basic installation would go.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:58 PM   #15

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
The pipe should not be connected directly to the pipe. If your pump cycles off and on at night (or during the day) the accumulator will help to solve that. If you do not have that problem, the accumulator will not help much. Cushioning the water lines or replacing them with flexible hose will alleviate the vibration noise when the pump is running.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:14 PM   #16

THOR #5196
The two white hoses in the picture are flexible with fittings to fit pump and accumulator. Not having the pump connections on the rigid pipe is what made the biggest difference in vibration and noise.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:19 PM   #17

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
I installed an accumulator, not for the noise, but for the pulsing of the water pressure in the shower. It works like a charm, and a nice side effect is that we can now barely hear the pump.