Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2017, 06:41 PM   #1

State: Alaska
THOR #7410
Inverter

Does the inverter stay on or off when parked and connected to electric?

Old 12-19-2017, 07:02 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
You can turn it off. You will still here the fan running sometimes though, as the power for whatever it is hooked to will still run through it.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:37 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
never turned ours off in 3 years, see no reason to... matter of fact, if you lose shore power, the Inverter is your back up power, using your battery power, so why would you turn it off?
we've lost shore power many times at rv parks and campgrounds, while plugged in, but our inverter continued power to our coach without skipping a beat, and the shore power takes back over when it is restored. Also, our AGS(automaticGeneratorStarter) is there to kick on the generator if shore power is lost, and the inverter usages causes the batteries to get too low, then it recharges them, for as long as needed.

This is why RVs electrical systems are designed and built this way - you always have power options.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:51 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
I guess if you don't trust the electric where you are set up you can leave it on. In 20yrs of camping we have only lost power twice, at the same campground do to cars hitting poles nearby. I also never leave the auto gen start on because we have cats in our RV and when the gen is running the exhaust is right under the slide and can fill the RV with carbon monoxide. If you are sleeping it could kill you also. I don't think the food in my fridge is worth that.