Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2017, 04:07 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Hampshire
THOR #10260
Red face water pump

Hi, we have a 2014 four winds thor class c motor home. Our water pump sounded loud so my husband found the location of the pump and it is leaking. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Old 12-16-2017, 05:09 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
If you have tightened all the connections, it is probably bad. The internal seals go. It is not difficult to replace - if it is easily accessable. When Thor installed the water pump in my 2014 Vegas, they did not put a flexible hose between the pump and the plastic pipe. It says in big letters in the installation instructions not to hook the pump directly to the plastic pipe. The vibration destroys the internal seals. I installed a new one in the parking lot of an RV supply store. Only had to run in three more times to buy extra stuff for the installation. Good luck.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:33 PM   #3

Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
State: New York
THOR #2025
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsyred View Post
Hi, we have a 2014 four winds thor class c motor home. Our water pump sounded loud so my husband found the location of the pump and it is leaking. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

I ordered this kit and it worked like a charm. I then mounted the pump on some foam.

https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-94-59...ter+pump+hoses
Old 12-16-2017, 07:52 PM   #4

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvfigs View Post
I ordered this kit and it worked like a charm. I then mounted the pump on some foam.

https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-94-59...ter+pump+hoses
That will help silence the pump, but it probably will not stop the leak.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:40 PM   #5

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum! You didn't say how new your coach is, but I agree with Oneilkeys about possibly replacing the pump. Rather than the silencing kit, I installed an accumulator which made my pump whisper quiet.

Here's one source:
https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-555...EaAofsEALw_wcB
Old 12-18-2017, 10:01 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
I just replaced pump on my Vegas for 1st time. Was easy job. Pump had always pulsed on light demand from start. Started to really pulse a lot and got real loud. I always carry a spare. Also pulled and cleaned screen.

New spare was $69.00 from Amazon.

New pump much smoother and quieter. Wife said shower was the highest pressure she ever had. Was likely compromised from start.

At $69, are these pumps worth rebuild?
Old 12-19-2017, 12:09 AM   #7

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
I just replaced pump on my Vegas for 1st time. Was easy job. Pump had always pulsed on light demand from start. Started to really pulse a lot and got real loud. I always carry a spare. Also pulled and cleaned screen.

New spare was $69.00 from Amazon.

New pump much smoother and quieter. Wife said shower was the highest pressure she ever had. Was likely compromised from start.

At $69, are these pumps worth rebuild?
I took my old one apart two years ago from my Vegas and there was one plastic piece that was broken. But I could never find the part and decided it was not worth it. Your labor was probably worth $69 never mind the labor to take the pump apart and put it back together.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:49 PM   #8

Model: Four Winds 28z
THOR #5725
Has anyone changed one in a 28z class c? Also are all pumps the same throughout the smaller lines? Mine is louder and surging might change out during the holidays since I have time.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:42 PM   #9

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I would say the 'loudness' of your pump has nothing at all to do with any 'leak', only that most are mounted on a wood platform, or the storage bay floor, or maybe even the underside of the coach's floor, and it easily transfers it's 'loudness' to the coach.
Rubber/foam matting for it to sit on is the easiest answer. We even found that our water pump was much quieter when it was NOT mounted at all, but just sitting in a silicone 'doggybowl'. Nice. Now I have a problem, though, I can't hear it at all!

another thought - you might have mentioned a 'leak', as in a water leak, but what you might really be saying is that you might have an 'air leak', which IS quite common with water pumps, and causes the pump to cycle on and off even when you are not using any water. Replacing a pump is fairly easy - it's two simple wires for the 12v power, and a flexible water connection to each side.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote