Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2019, 11:46 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Chateau 24F
State: Colorado
THOR #15337
Angry Water Pump

Looking for some newbie advice on my water pump. Brand new Chateau 24F and getting ready for our first big trip to California (see our Marine at Camp Pendleton).

Filled the fresh water tank, hoping to sanitize the system. Tank filled completely. Turned on hot water heater bypass and opened kitchen faucet; turned on pump, making pumping noises, but no water comes out anywhere. Appears to be some water in the filter screen and I've double checked the value is open to the fresh water tank. Let it run for 10 minutes, no water. Hooking up to shore water, everything works (no pump obviously). Am I missing a step somewhere? Bad pump from the factory, clogged input line?

Old 05-31-2019, 12:25 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31D
State: Virginia
THOR #5638
Check for a valve in the water line between the tank and the pump input.

Considering the newness of the it could have been winterized by using the water pump to push RV antifreeze thru the plumbing. The in line valve needs to be closed so the pump suction will pull antifreeze from a jug. Very common to leave it closed.

Second thing to look for is a small mesh filter between the tank and the pump. Again, with the newness of the coach the screen could be clogged with plastic remains from construction.
Old 05-31-2019, 01:21 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
My coach has a small mesh filter where the stub from the tank connects to the PEX. It is usually clogged from the shavings when Thor MC drills into the tank.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 02:13 AM   #4

Model: Thor Chateau 24F
State: Colorado
THOR #15337
Great input and I really appreciate the help!

I have checked the valve and it is open and I have removed the screen and checked it as well - nothing in either. I tried to use the anti-freeze fitting to pump in water from a jug, no go. Guessing at this point that my pump is kaput....

Old 05-31-2019, 02:54 AM   #5

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
To me it would be highly unusual (not impossible) to have a failed pump in a brand new coach. If the pump wont draw water through the winterization port you may have an air leak on the water filter seal (which you opened to check for plastic bits); plus make sure valves are correct for the draw from winterization line. One other thing to check is if any fresh water tank water will come out of the winterization line by gravity (valves appropriately set to do this). It is not impossible to have plastic debris blocking the feed line from the fresh water tank to the first valve. No gravity water flow means there is something blocking the line.