Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2019, 11:32 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Unhappy Water Pump Filter Question

I had a leak at this filter cap. My first reaction was to turn off the water and drain the line to stop the leak. It turned out to be the cap was loose. I figured while it was dry, I'd clean the filter. It had shavings in it from somewhere.

Anywho, I can get water to fill the cap, like it was when it was leaking. All the below were tried opening the kitchen faucet. All produced faucet water.

1) Pressurize with shore water
2) Pressurize with shore water and turn on pump (this get interesting later)
3) Fill fresh water tank and run pump

In each of the above scenarios, I tried loosening the cap to see if letting the air escape would work.

I'm pretty sure the fresh water tank had enough water, indicated by the panel at 1/3 full and pump finally shutting off.

The funny thing about #2 is I could swear I hear water going into the fresh water tank while the pump was running and the pump would not shut off but the severe rattling turned to a light whine. The tank is just left of the pump filter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190325_103942.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	16357  

Old 03-27-2019, 01:06 AM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Not entirely sure I understand your problem if you’ve got “faucet water”. But I wonder if your winterizing valve is in the winter position instead of the normal one.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:03 AM   #3

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Not entirely sure I understand your problem if you’ve got “faucet water”. But I wonder if your winterizing valve is in the winter position instead of the normal one.
I haven't changed the position of that valve, but that doesn't mean it isn't where you say. It's one of those old style valves you'd find under you kitchen or bath sink in a stick and brick.

I'll try it but like I said, I haven't touched it.

Thanks.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:41 AM   #4

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Hi, the plastic shavings you find in the pump filter screen are typically from the factory drilling hole cores of your fresh water tank for sensors and fill/drain lines. You probably will find these shavings for a couple years so regular seasonal filter checks are a good idea.
If |I read your text correctly it sounds like to suspected the shore water feed was flowing back through the pump into the fresh water tank. This can happen and has been discussed many times on the forum. Sometimes this occurs because of the integral pump anti backflow valve failing open. Sometimes you can just use the pump a few times (no shore water connected) and try to reseat the anti backflow valve again. If this does not work you can replace the pump (or just its valve if it is easily replaceable) which is an expensive approach relatively; or you can plumb in a stand alone anti backflow valve in line with the pump (make sure the water flow arrow is in the correct direction on the valve). Make sure it is a problem first.....partially fill the fresh tank and check level. Then connect the shore water and watch the fresh water tank level lights to see if the fresh tank is filling. I hope that is what you were asking about.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:04 AM   #5

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
Hi, the plastic shavings you find in the pump filter screen are typically from the factory drilling hole cores of your fresh water tank for sensors and fill/drain lines. You probably will find these shavings for a couple years so regular seasonal filter checks are a good idea.
If |I read your text correctly it sounds like to suspected the shore water feed was flowing back through the pump into the fresh water tank. This can happen and has been discussed many times on the forum. Sometimes this occurs because of the integral pump anti backflow valve failing open. Sometimes you can just use the pump a few times (no shore water connected) and try to reseat the anti backflow valve again. If this does not work you can replace the pump (or just its valve if it is easily replaceable) which is an expensive approach relatively; or you can plumb in a stand alone anti backflow valve in line with the pump (make sure the water flow arrow is in the correct direction on the valve). Make sure it is a problem first.....partially fill the fresh tank and check level. Then connect the shore water and watch the fresh water tank level lights to see if the fresh tank is filling. I hope that is what you were asking about.
This is a very accurate assessment of, what I believe, is going on. If the shavings are coming from the fresh water tank and appeared on the outside of the filter, it means the pump is 'pulling' water from the tank. However, the arrow points toward the tank, perhaps suggesting an improper installment; though the lettering adjacent to the arrow seems to be upside down.

I read your response a number of times. This is something I want to get straightened out.

"...the shore water feed was flowing back through the pump into the fresh water tank. This can happen and has been discussed many times on the forum". Can you share the search words that will reference those posts?

"...or you can plumb in a stand alone anti backflow valve in line with the pump". Is this the supply side (fresh tank) or the output side (e.g. faucet)?

Thank you for your response. You offered more information than you realize. Safe Travels and keep the rubber side down.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:11 PM   #6

THOR #2631
Hi, well the back flow preventer can be found on amazon.com....camco 23303 in case my link does not work: Note the arrows point in water flow direction from water tank to filter to pump to coach. If you use this device, I suggest plumbing it in between the filter and pump but it can be inserted several places where plumbing space and fittings allow. You may also have to buy some pre-made flex lines to place it where you want.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-23303-B...gateway&sr=8-1

Regarding the search.....maybe try something like "plugged water filter" or maybe "fresh water tank overflowing". I have not tested these but they should bring up many similar comments to my previous ones here.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:48 AM   #7

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
Hi, well the back flow preventer can be found on amazon.com....camco 23303 in case my link does not work: Note the arrows point in water flow direction from water tank to filter to pump to coach. If you use this device, I suggest plumbing it in between the filter and pump but it can be inserted several places where plumbing space and fittings allow. You may also have to buy some pre-made flex lines to place it where you want.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-23303-B...gateway&sr=8-1

Regarding the search.....maybe try something like "plugged water filter" or maybe "fresh water tank overflowing". I have not tested these but they should bring up many similar comments to my previous ones here.
Is it just me or is your filter upside down? Usually the removable bowl is on the bottom, to help debris settle to the bottom for removal.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:26 AM   #8

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerChips View Post
Is it just me or is your filter upside down? Usually the removable bowl is on the bottom, to help debris settle to the bottom for removal.
It's definitely not you. I wondered the same thing. My hint was the lettering was backwards. It was the way it was installed. I left it the way I found it.

I get your point. And it's a good one. Let me try something.

I'll be back...
Old 03-28-2019, 12:12 PM   #9

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
My strainer was installed exactly like yours - upside down and reversed. As a result my pump did not operate smoothly and the pressure fluctuated. I got out my PEX tools and installed it correctly and my pump works great now. And, water doesn’t drip everywhere when I go to clean the strainer or winterize.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:16 PM   #10

THOR #2631
Well I think it is installed correctly. The black body in/out ports on the bottom stay connected to the pex hoses and the clear top(which is removable) can be seen through for debris as well as more easily removed for cleaning. I am pretty sure there should also be an arrow on the side of the filter showing the direction of water flow (from fresh tank towards pump). If it is installed backwards then it should be flipped around (probably provides more surface area for debris to collect on before the water flow stops). Less critical then the direction of an anti backflow valve, but important.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:26 PM   #11
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerChips View Post
Every RV I have owned has had it installed with the see-through bowl up. As I recall the filter screen bowl is down in this configuration.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 12:32 PM   #12

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Filter goes with the clear bowl to the bottom so sediment collects in it
Old 03-28-2019, 01:44 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Filter goes with the clear bowl to the bottom so sediment collects in it
Except it's not a sediment filter but a debris strainer and although I agree that the bowl being down makes it neater to service the strainer I don't think orientation effects the effectiveness of the strainer assembly.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:08 PM   #14

THOR #2631
Hey this got some reaction....that's good. Ideally the clear portion should be down as anyone old enough to work on glass automobile gas line filters can attest.....especially important for fine particulate matter in gasoline. In the RV world sometimes the plumbing clearances and access to this filter dictate which way is up....and my old ACE has been clear on top since 2012......no issues; but I clean it every start of camping season. What I think is most important as stated earlier is making sure the arrow on the filter is in the direction of water flow toward the pump.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:36 PM   #15

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Except it's not a sediment filter but a debris strainer and although I agree that the bowl being down makes it neater to service the strainer I don't think orientation effects the effectiveness of the strainer assembly.
Sediment goes to the bottom as will the debris which becomes sediment

Maybe we agree?
Old 03-28-2019, 09:29 PM   #16

THOR #12189
Thanks or the consensus on arrow direction. It's definitely backwards.

The pump will rattle your teeth out of your mouth when it runs and the shower walls visibly vibrate. Maybe this will fix that too.

Ok boys, I'm going in...
Old 03-28-2019, 09:58 PM   #17

Brand: DRV
Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
And what exactly would be the major difference between sediment and debris? Inquiring minds want to know. Either way=the glass bowl goes to the bottom.

Bill
Old 03-28-2019, 10:46 PM   #18
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
And what exactly would be the major difference between sediment and debris? Inquiring minds want to know. Either way=the glass bowl goes to the bottom.

Bill
Sediment moves from one place to another through the process of erosion. It is normally made of small dirt or sand particles. Sediment particles are normally smaller than the holes in the screen of a strainer and can easily pass through the pump.

Debris is fragments or remnants of something destroyed or broken; rubble, bits of plastic, etc. Debris is stopped from entering the pump by the screen in the strainer.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:03 PM   #19

Model: 2015 ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4359
From experience ....check the pump to make sure no shavings have made it past the screen.... had a small piece holding one of the valves open...
Old 03-28-2019, 11:46 PM   #20

THOR #12189
Bummer

Well, this won't get fixed anytime soon. The clowns put the fittings on the wrong side so no wonder the filter is in 'backward'.

I have to pick up some PEX tools and watch some vids on how to correctly use them.

Thanks for all the feedback and input. It's been valuable. This little wonder is added to my list of things to address. In the meantime, it worked the way it was so I should be able to limp along for now. Not ideal, but workable.

Thanks again.