Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2023, 07:34 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum WS31
State: Washington
THOR #27401
Angry Warranty Repairs - How long should they take?

Today marks 3 months and one week since I took my Qunatum 31WS for repairs. This was the second attempt to get these items repaired as they did the 90 Days repairs (which failed due to bad parts from Thor). My RV is being held hostage due to parts not available from THOR!

My questions are:

Should THOR pay my monthly loan payments while they hold the RV? I can't use it and the issue is a very serious repair to the RV Control panel wall.

Should THOR replace my RV as it is an apparent Lemon? I was told by the dealer doing the repairs that parts may no longer be available to repair the 2022 RV!!! Now I can't get them to even talk to me...so my wife has to call them. (Note: Camping World took over the dealer three months after my purchase.)

Do I have any OTHER recourse available I haven't thought to use?

I'm very angry 'cause "CAMPING GETS THE CRAZY OUT OF ME!" as my favorite t-shirt states.

Old 02-11-2023, 07:48 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
No, Thor won't pay your monthly payments.
No, Thor won't replace your RV.
Is there even an RV lemon law in your state? Most states do not have RV lemon laws. Some states have RV lemon laws that only cover the chassis.

However, there are "RV Lemon Law" attorneys even in states without lemon laws. I suggest you bring your documentation of all interactions with Thor, CW, and the dealer to one for consultation on your situation.

There are federal warranty laws that can be used to bring a case against the dealer and Thor - Magnuson Moss Warranty-Federal Trade Commission Improvements Act: https://www.ftc.gov/legal-library/br...provements-act

Or to "Rescind/Revoke Acceptance" of the RV. In either case you are likely looking at years of court dates.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 08:26 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I would like get your RV back from the dealer and find an independent RV repair shop or a mobile mechanic to figure out a work around to your problem.

Litigation only makes sense when $100k or more is on the table.

Chaulk it up to a lousy build by Thor and a don’t give a @#$& attitude by Camping World.

David
Old 02-11-2023, 09:00 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
While the rig is at the dealer send Thor the required certified letter indicating multiple repairs for the same defect and unreasonable time to complete repairs.

This will get Thor’s attention and puts them on notice. The address to send the letter should be in your warranty.
Old 02-12-2023, 12:08 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
If your RV is safe to drive, I would get it back from the dealer and try a different repair facility. Put some numbers to your situation. Lets say your monthly payment is $500.00. That would mean you are already out $1500.00. Based on a guy in my area, Central Texas, that would pay for a diagnostic fee of $99.00 and 11 hours of labor. The longer it sits at the dealer, the more you are out of pocket, plus the frustration of not being able to use the RV. When my coach was under warranty Thor offered to pay a mobile tech for a repair so they may be willing to pay for someone else to help you out. Getting a lawyer adds more costs to your situation. You would be paying someone else to force the dealer to pay for your repairs. Again more money out your pocket. I would get it back from the dealer and move on.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 02:52 AM   #6

Model: Aria 3401
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMikey59 View Post
Today marks 3 months and one week since I took my Qunatum 31WS for repairs. This was the second attempt to get these items repaired as they did the 90 Days repairs (which failed due to bad parts from Thor). My RV is being held hostage due to parts not available from THOR!

My questions are:

Should THOR pay my monthly loan payments while they hold the RV? I can't use it and the issue is a very serious repair to the RV Control panel wall.

Should THOR replace my RV as it is an apparent Lemon? I was told by the dealer doing the repairs that parts may no longer be available to repair the 2022 RV!!! Now I can't get them to even talk to me...so my wife has to call them. (Note: Camping World took over the dealer three months after my purchase.)

I'm very angry 'cause "CAMPING GETS THE CRAZY OUT OF ME!" as my favorite t-shirt states.
If the RV is drivable go get it. Communicate with Thor directly. My Thor dealer has been very good with repairs. Nothing big or that prevented us from using until parts were in.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 04:35 AM   #7

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
If you haven't, call Thor customer service and ask them what's going on. When my dealer told me Thor wouldn't approve the warranty work or send the parts, I called Thor. They emailed me the signed UPS receipts that showed my parts were already at the dealer. When I took the emails to the dealer, my coach got fixed pronto.
Old 02-13-2023, 04:23 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
My questions are:

Most repairs take less than one day, IF THE Dealer has the parts. Most of us recommend to never leave the coach at the dealer awaiting parts unless the coach is not capable of bring driven.
Keep Thor MC CS in the loop by asking them if the dealer has ordered the required parts.

Example: When some of my patio awning's lights ceased to work and the electric part of the water heater did not work, it took a picture and sent it in an email to Thor MC CS. Their reply was take the coach in to any repair shop and get a repair estimate. I drove the coach over the Youngbloods RV (30 miles from home and 660 miles from the dealer where I had purchased the coach) and Youngbloods gave me an estimate in 15 minutes. I drove the coach home. I e-mailed the estimate to Thor MC CS. There days later, I received the a box with the entire light strip and instruction that an appointment had been made at Youngbloods for the following Monday. It took two tech 15 minutes to install the new light strip and repair the water heater's wiring. I paid the $196 bill. I put the old light strip in the prepay box and mailed it. I received a $196 check from Thor MC CS about a week later.

Younbloods RV is not a Thor MC dealer. Yes it took time and effort, but I was never without my coach.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 08:08 PM   #9

Model: Magnitude RB34
State: Montana
THOR #2531
Thor Factory Service

I had problems with repairs with certified dealers so I took it direct to Thor factory service twice.

They really work well with owners, and usually have most parts in stock.
Old 02-18-2023, 08:27 PM   #10

State: Minnesota
THOR #20429
Down and out

You know, it's stuff like this that made me throw the towel in on owning an RV. Six months fighting with the RV dealer and Thor to get an AC repaired, Ford dealers refusing to do recalls on the chassis and fantom traction control warning light. I completely lost faith in the dealers, manufacturers and product.
Old 02-18-2023, 08:55 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by makitso View Post
You know, it's stuff like this that made me throw the towel in on owning an RV. Six months fighting with the RV dealer and Thor to get an AC repaired, Ford dealers refusing to do recalls on the chassis and fantom traction control warning light. I completely lost faith in the dealers, manufacturers and product.
Why did you think an RV dealership is certified to do recalls on the chassis?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 09:38 PM   #12

State: Minnesota
THOR #20429
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Why did you think an RV dealership is certified to do recalls on the chassis?
Nope, chassis work was at Ford.
Old 02-19-2023, 12:13 AM   #13

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1noel View Post
If you haven't, call Thor customer service and ask them what's going on. When my dealer told me Thor wouldn't approve the warranty work or send the parts, I called Thor. They emailed me the signed UPS receipts that showed my parts were already at the dealer. When I took the emails to the dealer, my coach got fixed pronto.
Same process here. Thor and dealer supposedly waiting on photos. I got in the middle all resolved.
Also parts were in a box at the dealer.
Old 02-19-2023, 01:00 AM   #14

THOR #6433
The worst is waiting on warranty work, get Thor involved good chance the parts are at the dealer they just forgot about them. I had some issue right after ours was new getting a leak fixed. 4 times to the dealer! Dealer kept saying they were waiting on parts or authorization. Called Thor and they were like no. We sent the parts gave me the name of who signed for it: Also told me that the dealer was as on the hook for the repairs because they already paid three other times. And they called the dealer for me and got it all straightened out.
Old 02-19-2023, 05:01 AM   #15

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
The first thing you need to remember is that the RV dealer network is NOT like an auto dealership network. RV dealers are basically resellers that RV manufactures have limited control over. In many cases you are at the mercy of the dealer's inventory and procurement processes' which are often subject to cashflow constraint or poor management of the ordering process or poor management of accounts payable. Thor may not be sending the parts because the dealer is not paying the bills in a timely manner. This may be the problem with your dealer. When Camping world took over there is a good possibility some of the old employee's may have let important stuff like paying bills slide either by direction of the selling management looking to maximize the take on the sale or simply a "I don't care because I will be out of a job next month." attitude.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 04:27 PM   #16
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Some dealers are like good rugs. They lie well. Parts are on order! It is the manufacture not sending the parts. All while the dealer has never ordered the parts. Call Thor. You need the vin and dealership information. They can check and tell you if the parts were ordered by the dealership. Many have sat for months being told that the parts are on order. Be polite. Thor does not manufacture parts. They are like a systems company. They purchase all the parts and put them together. Took nine months at the beginning of COVID to get Swintec slide parts from Lippert to Thor to my dealership. Dealer was closed do to COVID six weeks, Thor shut down do to Covid three weeks, and Lippert was also shut down do to COVID as well. Then there was the truck transport problem getting across country. Dealership shut down for another three weeks again as well. So just make sure that the parts were actually ordered. You also have to remember that most parts are manufactured in China. We all have that delay too.

Tags
dealer, failure, thor, warranty, ws31