Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2016, 07:12 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3
State: New York
THOR #3187
Water pump switch

Should you have your water pump switch on at all times or only when you are using the water?

Old 05-15-2016, 07:38 PM   #2

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
We usually turn it off when motoring and usually have it on the whole time we are stopped. I really don't think it matters.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:46 PM   #3

State: Florida
THOR #1249
We usually keep the switch off when traveling in case some fitting shakes loose and springs a leak. Also, keep it off when hooked up to shore water. Only use it when stopping for a pit stop or lunch.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:41 PM   #4

THOR #3187
pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
We usually keep the switch off when traveling in case some fitting shakes loose and springs a leak. Also, keep it off when hooked up to shore water. Only use it when stopping for a pit stop or lunch.
I am new at this but I thought for the water to pump you need the switch turned on?
Old 05-15-2016, 08:42 PM   #5

THOR #3187
pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNMIB View Post
We usually turn it off when motoring and usually have it on the whole time we are stopped. I really don't think it matters.
So when its turned on it doesnt make your pump run the entire time?
Old 05-15-2016, 09:00 PM   #6

THOR #1249
No, the switch just provides elec. power to the pump so if you use a sink, toilet or shower it will come on and provide water. The pump has a pressure switch that senses when it needs to turn on and off automatically.

If you are just filling and or sanitizing the water system for the first time, you may hear the pump run awhile until it has filled all the lines and perhaps the water heater. That may be why you think it runs all the time. Once all the lines are filled the pump will shut off automatically. I usually fill my system with a hose at the house before leaving on a trip as it saves a lot of pump running time and is much quicker than the pump. You may want to open a sink valve when doing this also, which will bleed some of the air out of the system.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:12 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegolfgirl View Post
I am new at this but I thought for the water to pump you need the switch turned on?
The water pump is not need when connected to a "city" water source. The water pressure from the city source supplies water to all fixtures. The water pump is only required when using water from the fresh water tank. Once pressure in the system is stable the pump will turn off. Once the pump is turned off the system will still be pressurized and allow one or two quick flushes of the toilet without having to turn the pump on when stopped.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:43 PM   #8

THOR #3187
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
No, the switch just provides elec. power to the pump so if you use a sink, toilet or shower it will come on and provide water. The pump has a pressure switch that senses when it needs to turn on and off automatically.

If you are just filling and or sanitizing the water system for the first time, you may hear the pump run awhile until it has filled all the lines and perhaps the water heater. That may be why you think it runs all the time. Once all the lines are filled the pump will shut off automatically. I usually fill my system with a hose at the house before leaving on a trip as it saves a lot of pump running time and is much quicker than the pump. You may want to open a sink valve when doing this also, which will bleed some of the air out of the system.
So if the switch is on and the pump is on once the lines are full the pump will turn off? Or do you mean the pump will run and turn off with the switch off?
Old 05-16-2016, 01:57 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegolfgirl
So if the switch is on and the pump is on once the lines are full the pump will turn off? Or do you mean the pump will run and turn off with the switch off?
The pump should automatically turn off when the water pressure in the lines is above its setpoint. Thus it will run and stop once the lines are filled up and pressurized.

However: When you are first filling the system and there is air in the line you may have to open a faucet so the pump can get primed (e.g. "grab" water). If you turn it on with all the faucet's closed there is no place for the air to go and the pump will just run and run. You should open a faucet until water flows continuously with no spitting or bubbling. Then when you turn off the faucet the pump should turn off pretty quickly.

Typically you leave the water system with water in it. The only times you'll have air in it is if you blow the lines out in the winter, or when you first connect up city water as any air in the hose will get pushed into the system (helpful hint: When you hook up the hose at the campground run the water to flush it out and make sure there is some still in the hose when you connect up to the camper).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:59 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegolfgirl View Post
Should you have your water pump switch on at all times or only when you are using the water?
They are called demand pumps. The pump will only run when there is a demand (pressure drops below factory the set point). Normally you will hear the pump when you turn on one of the faucets or flush the toilet. I leave it on when we are traveling but turn it off when in storage. However, the above advice is also a good. I think I will start turning the pump off when we leave for any length of time in case we develop a leak in the system that could flood the coach.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:19 PM   #11

Model: ACE 27.1
State: California
THOR #3186
We turn ours off when we leave, in case a water line breaks.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:01 AM   #12

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I just use "best judgement", case by case. Usually what Forest Gump does....

Seems like Mr. Murphy is at play when I do turn it off while under way. I'll make a stop, run back to use the restroom then want to flush and wash my habds..... bu can't....ugh.

mostly on, but I'll switch it off fi I remember when we leave. Don't give it a lot of thought really.