Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2016, 11:49 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany XTE
State: California
THOR #2511
Question Water under domestic fridge

I have a 2015 Thor Tuscany XTE with a domestic Whirlpool side-by-side fridge. During a recent camping trip, where the overnight temperature got down to 27 degrees, I noticed that there was water under and in front of the fridge in the morning. On those nights when the overnight temperature was around 35 degrees there was no water. I took the front panel off the fridge and although there was some water in the drip pan it didn't seem to be anywhere near full. I checked behind the fridge (opened the small panel door on the outside of the pushout) and it was dry. The icemaker was running the entire time. I get the feeling that the water leak is somehow related to cold weather, but I haven't been able to come up with an explanation. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Old 01-10-2016, 01:40 PM   #2

State: Texas
THOR #2613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasalleg View Post
I have a 2015 Thor Tuscany XTE with a domestic Whirlpool side-by-side fridge. During a recent camping trip, where the overnight temperature got down to 27 degrees, I noticed that there was water under and in front of the fridge in the morning. On those nights when the overnight temperature was around 35 degrees there was no water. I took the front panel off the fridge and although there was some water in the drip pan it didn't seem to be anywhere near full. I checked behind the fridge (opened the small panel door on the outside of the pushout) and it was dry. The icemaker was running the entire time. I get the feeling that the water leak is somehow related to cold weather, but I haven't been able to come up with an explanation. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Does your fridge have a door ice dispenser and water dispenser? We were having same with random water and then realized it was related to using the door water dispenser. The line feeding the door dispenser was loose. Check that.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:48 PM   #3

THOR #2511
Yes the fridge has a door ice dispenser and water dispenser, Although we never used the water dispenser on the trip, there is probably water in the tube from the source up to the dispensing area. Are you talking about where the plastic water tube connects to the tube that runs up inside the door? I believe that connection is located near the bottom door hinge. I never thought to test that connection since the leak only happens periodically. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look at it tomorrow.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:44 PM   #4

THOR #2613
Yes. Ours was leaking at the tubing by the front hinge. We did not use the water dispenser either. But when we did once, a LOT of water leaked out. That is how we located the source
Hope that is the problem because it was an easy fix. The line that goes into the icemaker is in the back which for us would have meant pulling out the entire fridge from the enclosure
Old 02-25-2016, 10:58 PM   #5

THOR #2511
Sorry for long delay in responding, but I encountered some serious physical issues.
I checked all the hose/tube connections and didn't find anything loose. We have been camping three times since writing the original post, and have not experienced any leaks. I still think my issue is somehow related to cold weather. Is there perhaps a switch I should turn on to activate heaters under the floor? It almost seemed like water got frozen and when the temperature increased during the next morning the ice melted and somehow caused an overflow?
Can you tell I'm grasping at straws?
Old 02-26-2016, 12:11 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasalleg View Post
....cut....
Can you tell I'm grasping at straws?
In theory it could be due to condensation, which you hinted at. If it only occurs when it's very cold outside, that's what I'd check first. Higher humidity under fridge could condense on colder floor or surrounding areas.

I don't have an RV with residential fridge but have worked extensively with coolers and freezers. Moisture is one of the toughest things to control when you get down around freezing or below.