Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2015, 03:19 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Oregon
THOR #1436
Spare tire

Thinking of purchasing an ACE 27.1. One item I neglected to check or ask about is a spare tire. Do they come with a spare?
Thanks.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:10 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
It was an option on my coach. However, I did not see an option for a spare in the ACE brochure, so it may not be available. You will also want to find out if there is a spot to store it.

Regardless of whether or not you have a spare, you will certainly want to purchase some kind of road service when you buy your RV, either Coach Net, AAA-RV, or others as you will not likely be wanting to change the tire yourself.

So in reality, not having a spare is not as bad as it could be.

True, a spare gets you on the road a bit quicker, But, if you have a non-repairable flat, you may be able to "order" a new tire when you call on the big-rig wrecker to rescue you. Some wreckers may be able to re-mount a new tire in the field, so if you don't have a spare, it might take a bit longer to get back on the road due to having to re-mount a tire.

Or, you can always buy an unmounted tire for a spare, which would be easier to carry (less weight and bulk), and always have one for the wrecker if needed.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:10 PM   #3

Model: 31F
State: Georgia
THOR #631
I agree with what FW28z has said. My unit has a spare riding under it on a drop down rack, but after considering the weight to be lifted and all the bolts and the good possibility that you'll be on the roadside, possibly on a slant, and having only minimal tools, it would be prudent to call for help IMO. (I did roadside mounted spare changes several times when we had a pop-up on a trip to Canada and out West and although I was successful each time, I'd have to say it wasn't very pleasant and not all drivers can get over into the left lane, passing at dangerously close intervals.)
Old 01-15-2015, 12:44 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The Axis/Vegas units don't come with a spare (and Thor provides free roadside assistance--its in the owners manual). Our dealer informed us that most class A's nowadays don't come with a spare: just call roadside assistance.

I had to change a tire on our 5er once. It was the usual story: Driving down the road and people would pull up next to us pointing and yelling--you really can't tell when a trailer tire goes. Sure enough we pull over and one of the 5er's tires is shredded (drivers side of course). I attempted to pull off the road enough so that I wouldn't get creamed by traffic (thankfully where we were there was a ton of grass and I was able to pull completely off the road, including the shoulder). In the middle of changing the tire a helpful state trooper stopped by to check on us (this was in Ohio). He even gave us directions to the nearest tire place (wanted to at least get a new tire for the spare just in case).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:04 PM   #5

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
not an ace, but mine did not come with one.
Another coach i looked at when shopping had an unmounted tire with no wheel in one of the storage bays.
I have little intention of ever changing a tire on my own, but I do not want to depend on the wrecker service having one.... not on a Sunday or on a holiday, not in the middle of nowhere.... & I probably wouldn't want to pay what they would be asking for it.
So when i bought my coach I asked the dealer to throw a mounted spare in to sweeten the deal. He did, but I had to come up with a way to mount it. I was good with that.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:35 AM   #6

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #1393
I have a 2015 ACE 27.1, no spare tire nor was it an option. Make sure you have AAA or an alternative. Ford also provides roadside coverage as part of their warrantee..