Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2016, 06:48 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New York
THOR #3192
Ford Engine on 2016 Vegas 24.1

Wondering if anyone has a similar problem or and offer some advise.

Traveling home the last two trips and hear the values periodical clang louder. When I release the gas it goes away. Then comes back. Sometimes up a hill and sometimes out of the blue.

Probably need to bring it in to Ford but curious if anyone has had a similar problem or can offer some insight. Thanks in advance and happy forth.

Old 07-04-2016, 07:38 PM   #2
Kev

Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
Ford Engine

Have you checked the oil level?

Kevin
Old 07-04-2016, 09:44 PM   #3

Model: 25.2 axis
State: South Carolina
THOR #3992
Could possibly be the last time you got gas Not really sure but I have had that problem
Old 07-05-2016, 02:00 PM   #4

THOR #3192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Have you checked the oil level?

Kevin

Yes, Although now I think about it happened after my last oil change. Just used the recommended oil in the manual.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:02 PM   #5

THOR #3192
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautiquecowboy View Post
Could possibly be the last time you got gas Not really sure but I have had that problem

It's been that way through several gas fill ups? I think it is something with the valves.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:08 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Are you sure its the valves? Is it a ticking sound?

I ask because there are two common problems that happen with the Ford Triton engine's:
  • They tend to shoot out the spark plugs. Although the newer ones don't do this nearly as much (if at all) compared to the early ones, and
  • The exhaust manifold bolts tend to break (usually after many miles though). My F-350 had two go and when the engine was cold you could hear the leak like a tick noise
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:30 PM   #7

THOR #3192
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Are you sure its the valves? Is it a ticking sound?

I ask because there are two common problems that happen with the Ford Triton engine's:
  • They tend to shoot out the spark plugs. Although the newer ones don't do this nearly as much (if at all) compared to the early ones, and
  • The exhaust manifold bolts tend to break (usually after many miles though). My F-350 had two go and when the engine was cold you could hear the leak like a tick noise
It could be a clicking sound. Not sure. It happens occasionally when I am driving. I take my foot off the gas and it stops. Drive a few more miles and the clicking, or some sound starts and stops once the gas pedal is released.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:51 PM   #8

Model: 25.2 axis
State: South Carolina
THOR #3992
Having worked in the automotive and diesel machine shop where we did engines from the time I was in high school till I retired I hope it's not your lifters or valves On a new engine like that is pretty rare it would have to be No oil Or a failure of your oil pump My gut feeling it could be something else Wish I could listen to it myself
Old 07-05-2016, 03:11 PM   #9

Model: Axis 24.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #4184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1023 View Post
Wondering if anyone has a similar problem or and offer some advise.

Traveling home the last two trips and hear the values periodical clang louder. When I release the gas it goes away. Then comes back. Sometimes up a hill and sometimes out of the blue.

Probably need to bring it in to Ford but curious if anyone has had a similar problem or can offer some insight. Thanks in advance and happy forth.
Hi Andy,

We have 2017 Axis 24.1 E450 and my husband too just noticed the sound you mentioned on the way to our storage location. Have not had time to look into it yet. We have a little over 3000 miles. By the way, he said more like a chirping, than a ticking, Jamie and he thought it sounded like the valves to him too. Sorry.. no insight as of yet, but to let you know you are not alone.

Will keep you posted.

Sandy
Old 07-05-2016, 04:28 PM   #10

THOR #3192
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautiquecowboy View Post
Having worked in the automotive and diesel machine shop where we did engines from the time I was in high school till I retired I hope it's not your lifters or valves On a new engine like that is pretty rare it would have to be No oil Or a failure of your oil pump My gut feeling it could be something else Wish I could listen to it myself
Thanks for the insight. Oil level is fine. I guess it could be pump related.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:44 PM   #11

THOR #3192
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepesce View Post
Hi Andy,

We have 2017 Axis 24.1 E450 and my husband too just noticed the sound you mentioned on the way to our storage location. Have not had time to look into it yet. We have a little over 3000 miles. By the way, he said more like a chirping, than a ticking, Jamie and he thought it sounded like the valves to him too. Sorry.. no insight as of yet, but to let you know you are not alone.

Will keep you posted.

Sandy
Thanks for your input. I"m glad I am not the only one hearing things. Will post again once I know more.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:17 PM   #12

THOR #3192
Thor watching message board

So I get a call from Thor today and they connected me to someone that gave me a few potential problems. Since it happens at high RPM's if could be some back-flow into the manifold or something related to the valves.

Made an appt. with Ford next week to get it check out. Should be covered under warranty.

I will post the results when I know.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:35 PM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepesce View Post
Hi Andy,
. By the way, he said more like a chirping, than a ticking,

Will keep you posted.

Sandy
Chirping .......sounds like broken exhaust manifold bolts or cracked manifold

Normally this is caused by working the engine quite hard pulling a hill or towing then immediately shutting the engine off with out letting it cool down at an idle a bit first..

After a bit of thought..... You may have an engine that is fixin to spit out a spark plug.... The chirp may be cylinder compression leaking past spark plug threads
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:08 PM   #14

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1023 View Post
Thanks for the insight. Oil level is fine. I guess it could be pump related.
If your oil pump isn't maintaining adequate pressure, you should be able to tell from the oil pressure gauge. If you're reading high pressure you are likely OK in that area.

It could be many things, but I personally doubt it's a valve problem. Those tend to be more continuous rather than intermittent.

It could be something as simple as detonation (pinging or spark knock) that is more common under load, and goes away when you take your foot off throttle. It's more common when engine is running hotter so check to make sure temperature gauge is normal.

And as others have mentioned, it could also be an exhaust leak. They are much louder under load and less so when you ease up on accelerator pedal.

Since Ford couldn't find anything wrong, I would try one tank of higher octane gasoline as a test. If it is related to detonation, the higher octane should help reduce noise under load.

By the way, I assume your engine is stock. Any mods (tune) could introduce too many additional variables.