Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2019, 10:29 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: British Columbia
THOR #2763
What the heck is this?

I’m stumped - my 2016 Sprinter Citation has a threaded water line end and a power switch in the utility bay. Thor customer support says the threaded water line is for rinsing out the black tank, and has no idea what the power switch is for.

You can see the water line (with a black plug, to the left of the main water fill) and the black switch just above it in the attached picture. The switch looks like it would control a light, but there isn’t one.

I’m a little cautious about filling water into the mystery line as it looks like it’s connected to my water input...and if this is to flush out the black tank, then that’s too weird!

Any information would be much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1A563B07-5006-465B-8691-1D445F9CB287.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	19696  

Old 08-17-2019, 10:41 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
I would suggest it for the water pump, so you can use the outside shower.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:48 PM   #3

THOR #2763
The outdoor shower works fine without having used this...really at a loss to figure it out! At first I thought maybe it would pump in antifreeze to winterize, but no such luck.

I am tempted to hook up a water line at the next dump station to spray out my black tank, but the way this seems to be attached to the water line gives me the willies!
Old 08-17-2019, 11:20 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
I found this at https://www.rvroundtable.com/wp-cont...nual4-2014.pdf

It appears that is used to fill the fresh water tank; same valve body but brass plumbing instead of PVC. I'm guessing the black switch might be to turn on the water pump.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-08-17 19.11.40.png
Views:	107
Size:	302.7 KB
ID:	19697  
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:58 AM   #5

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
The main water line is to fill the fresh tank, or pressurize the main water lines. the small line is to pump in potable antifreeze to winterize the system. The main input line has a check valve.

The switch is for the water pump when using the outside shower. Both that switch and the inside (control panel) switch operate the water pump. IF either switch is on the pump is on...
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:14 PM   #6

THOR #2763
Hooray and thank you!!

I tested the switch; you’re right, it’s for the water pump. Cannot say I am impressed with Thor’s customer service, who told me the switch purpose was unknown and the water line was to flush out the black tank. I very nearly attached a “dirty” rinsing hose at a sani-dump a couple of weeks ago to flush out the black tank; that would have contaminated my water lines.

Many, many thanks!
Old 08-19-2019, 11:30 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
Glad you solved the mystery. Those kind of things can be frustrating.

If you haven't already, you might want to download the info from the link I put in my reply above. It's actually for a 2015 model, but I suspect there were not many differences between 2015 and 2016 models.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:25 AM   #8

THOR #2763
Thanks, I have already done that!
Old 10-30-2019, 10:19 PM   #9

THOR #2763
Hi folks, so as posted above I did establish that the black rocker switch is for my water pump. The water inlet directly underneath the black switch remains a mystery. I followed the suggestion that it was for antifreeze (which would have been way more convenient than the inlet I’ve been using under the bed), but I attempted to winterize it today via that inlet and no luck.

Specifically, I closed the valve from the fresh water tank to the water pump, attached a hose to the water inlet in question and put the end into the antifreeze jug, switched on the water pump and called for water at the outdoor shower. The hose did not suck up water from the antifreeze jug...although a trickle (couple of tablespoons?) of clear water dribbled down the tube toward the antifreeze when I started the pump.

I continue to be stumped, as the thread for this water inlet is the same 1/2” size as the rest of the house plumbing. If it was to attach a hose to do a black tank rinse, as a Thor rep said when I emailed them, then it should be bigger - like the fresh water inlet. Right?

Open to suggestions....!