Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2018, 02:48 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.4
State: Wisconsin
THOR #10220
Wheel Simulaters

Just a question for anyone in the know about how to remove the wheel simulaters from my 2017 Thor Vegas 25.4. I’ve gathered from previous threads that my simulaters are the snap off and on type used on old school hubcaps. The problem I have is trying to pry the things off without bending the rim of the simulaters. Any thoughts on what type of tool to use for this?

Old 05-02-2018, 03:03 PM   #2
Kev

Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drau2th View Post
Just a question for anyone in the know about how to remove the wheel simulaters from my 2017 Thor Vegas 25.4. I’ve gathered from previous threads that my simulaters are the snap off and on type used on old school hubcaps. The problem I have is trying to pry the things off without bending the rim of the simulaters. Any thoughts on what type of tool to use for this?
Are you sure they pry off? I don't know where you read they are the "snap off type". Mine are threaded and screw off with a tool that should have been provided with your rv.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:26 PM   #3

THOR #10220
Fine Tooth Comb

I’ve cleaned up my wheels and looked for the signs on the simulated lug nuts for which ones might be holding the simulater on but found no dimples or marks to tell which ones to unscrew. I got the idea that they were the snap on type via another thread on this Forum.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:54 PM   #4

THOR #10220
Thor Tech Support

I finally got a hold of Thor Tech Support and they verified for me that the simulaters on my 2017 Thor Vegas 25.4 are the old style pry off and snap on type. They suggested getting the broadest flat blade screw driver I could find and wrap the blade with a cloth. The carefully prying the simulater from the wheel rim. I seem to remember something called a tire spoon that was also handy at removing hubcaps. I will try to locate one of those to add to my Motorhome tool set. Ray
Old 05-02-2018, 04:34 PM   #5

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drau2th View Post
I finally got a hold of Thor Tech Support and they verified for me that the simulaters on my 2017 Thor Vegas 25.4 are the old style pry off and snap on type. They suggested getting the broadest flat blade screw driver I could find and wrap the blade with a cloth. The carefully prying the simulater from the wheel rim. I seem to remember something called a tire spoon that was also handy at removing hubcaps. I will try to locate one of those to add to my Motorhome tool set. Ray
A small guy like this works great. Wrap it with duct or painters tape. Work your way around the simulator loosening a little at a time.

https://www.amazon.com/Vaughan-B215-...words=pry+bars
Old 05-02-2018, 08:38 PM   #6

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Before I ditched the simulators for good, I used a flat prybar, like this one

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnp...hoCs1IQAvD_BwE

worked perfectly.

Getting rid of those things was one of my best moves! So much easier to deal with airing up, and installing and removing the TPMS sensors/dust caps for storage
Old 05-02-2018, 11:24 PM   #7

THOR #10220
Thanks to 99drt and blw2

Thanks for your tool suggestions and I will try them. I kind of like the thought of ditching them and just painting the wheels beige like the rig. Thanks for all of your suggestions again. Drau2th
Old 05-03-2018, 12:03 AM   #8

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
I find getting the pry off ones off easy but putting them back on is a PITA. Might ditch them in the future and just paint the wheels.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:12 AM   #9

State: Illinois
THOR #5112
very easy to remove and replace.what is so hard?
Old 05-03-2018, 01:25 AM   #10

Model: Chateau 28F
State: Colorado
THOR #2768
This is what you really need:
STEELMAN 75031 Hub Cap Remover https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GWFOSBY..._.rM6Ab8T6BQ6S
I have one and it makes removal and installation a breeze.