Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2019, 10:30 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 22FE
State: Oklahoma
THOR #15560
Wheel Well Metal

I have a 2019 Freedom Elite 22 FE. Still under warranty, but I have learned with some things the Camping World fix makes things worse...
That said I called Thor and they give 2 pieces of self repair Advice.

1. Snip it with metal shears and leave it be or...
2. Snip it and find a screw that will not penetrate the wall.

I can be a do it yourselfer with many things, but I do not have a staple gun or Metal Snips. I do have gorilla tape.

I did inspect and it is attached fine otherwise.

It is not near the tire so my question to you with motorhome experience....Is this worth the hassle of Camping World.....or is it a leave it be and just know it is there when I wash the vehicle?

Old 07-26-2019, 11:25 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
First Question, is this something that was documented before you took delivery of the coach and drove off the lot?

If not, expect Camping World to say they are not responsible for damage you caused.

For the record, I am not saying you caused the damage, I'm just telling you what you can expect Camping World to say.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 11:41 PM   #3

THOR #15560
Not documented. Thor did document as warranty. I never thought you were suggesting that, but I see the point. If I have to pay it will go elsewhere.
Old 07-27-2019, 01:36 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Well I would say its time to get some tools now that you own an RV. Unfortunately they go hand in hand.

You can spend hours messing with a repair shop, then drop the RV off for WEEKS all for something that would take you minutes to repair yours self at home. (IMO).

Tin snips, some epoxy glue with a C clamp or a sheet metal screw or two and you should be good to go.

Go down to Harbor Frt, get some simple tools that you think you might need (including tin snips). They dont cost very much and you will find you will use some tools all the time and they might get you (or a fellow RVer) out of a pinch when you need them most.

I have gone over kill with my on board tools but im the type of person that if I think I can fix it AND I DONT have the RIGHT tool for the job...... I will be kicking my self all day/weekend.

It give me a piece of mind having a well stocked RV with tools, nuts, bolts, wires, connectors, wire, zip ties (the list goes on and on). Plus I printed out all the the schematic for my RV with details of each fuse box so I can find them quickly.

Im not trying to preach.... Im trying to be helpful.... I hope it came off as that.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 02:28 PM   #5

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Well I would say its time to get some tools now that you own an RV. Unfortunately they go hand in hand.

You can spend hours messing with a repair shop, then drop the RV off for WEEKS all for something that would take you minutes to repair yours self at home. (IMO).

Tin snips, some epoxy glue with a C clamp or a sheet metal screw or two and you should be good to go.

Go down to Harbor Frt, get some simple tools that you think you might need (including tin snips). They dont cost very much and you will find you will use some tools all the time and they might get you (or a fellow RVer) out of a pinch when you need them most.

I have gone over kill with my on board tools but im the type of person that if I think I can fix it AND I DONT have the RIGHT tool for the job...... I will be kicking my self all day/weekend.

It give me a piece of mind having a well stocked RV with tools, nuts, bolts, wires, connectors, wire, zip ties (the list goes on and on). Plus I printed out all the the schematic for my RV with details of each fuse box so I can find them quickly.

Im not trying to preach.... Im trying to be helpful.... I hope it came off as that.
I agree with your opinion
I have found that most repairs I can do myself vs making an appnt with “Stealer-ship” for 3 weeks from now, dropping off my rig 30 miles from my home (so 3 gallons each way), while it gets the “Sunshine Treatment” for 7-10 days.
Only to get my rig back home with the same or more issues.
Old 07-27-2019, 02:45 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Yeah after my 2nd trip to CW for simple warrantee issues (Mostly cosmetic) and then getting my RV back with a dead house battery (That I had to replace myself since CW and THOR would not stand behind my 9 mo old RV) I try to do EVERYTHING myself.

If fact when CW finally got some THOR parts in I told them I would install myself and they were fine with that.

Plus I leaned so much about my RV and was able to fix, repair or mod my Axis to HELP prevent future problems. So many loose wires and connections plus possible rubbing of hoses and lines under the RV that would just cause problems down the road.

Plus I know where everything is at for future reference.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 03:28 PM   #7

THOR #15560
Thank You

Thanks for all the replies. I have to agree about CW. I had the screen door fixed by them. Never again! I have a pretty good toolbox, but I guess I need to add tin stips to the collection. The rest of the mentioned things I do have.