Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2018, 03:15 PM   #1
Max

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #6984
Hooked to outside water - fresh water tank overflows

Fresh water tank over over flowing at potable water side when hooked to outside water source. Water pump is off. Need help! Did we such a valve by mistake. And when unhook water to use water pump due to over flow with outside water, third pump sounds like it's trying to come on. Water is useable but making noise. Tried relaxing pressure by turning faucets on and didn't work. So, two issues. Are they related? The bigger issue is why is water overflowing into fresh water tank when hooked to outside source? We have a Ace by Thor 2017, Class A. Any help will be appreciated. I feel like it's a simple solution, but haven't figured it out. Thanks. MAX

Old 10-28-2018, 04:15 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Turn off the outside water and run your pump for a bit. Typically there are debris keeping the check valve open.

In addition: Take apart the strainer leading into the pump and clean that out.

That should take care of it.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:41 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 24F
State: Ontario
THOR #9645
Had similar issues with our 2018 Four Winds 24F, 4 times this summer the fresh water tank over flown and the check valve on the discharge side opened up(gurgle) to a point the pump did not reach the pressure switch cut off set point. I closed the check valve until it reached the pressure switch cut off set point. since then the pump short cycle quickly. very annoying as I can,t leave the pump switch on. Waiting for my warranty service appointment .
Old 10-28-2018, 05:45 PM   #4
Max

THOR #6984
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Turn off the outside water and run your pump for a bit. Typically there are debris keeping the check valve open.

In addition: Take apart the strainer leading into the pump and clean that out.

That should take care of it.
Where is the check valve? Could it have gotten turned the wrong way? Thanks for your help.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:08 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
Where is the check valve? Could it have gotten turned the wrong way? Thanks for your help.
Check valve is in the pump. If the pump works the check valve is fine. Probably just have some manufacturing debris in it.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:27 PM   #6
Max

THOR #6984
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Check valve is in the pump. If the pump works the check valve is fine. Probably just have some manufacturing debris in it.
Is it normal for the pump to make noise when running it? I don't remember it making noise in the past. How does debris get in the pump? It started doing this the last two times we took it out.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:47 PM   #7

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Its normal to be able to hear the pump while its running, but should not be excessively noisy. Debris usually from drilling the tanks during the assembly process, is what the usual source is. A little more care and cleaning, by assembly workers would solve the problem.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:07 PM   #8

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
If you aren’t using a pressure regulator on your city water it might just be overpowering the check valve. Both times this happened to me it was fixed by putting my regulator on the line. Now I use it all the time.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:09 PM   #9
Max

THOR #6984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
If you aren’t using a pressure regulator on your city water it might just be overpowering the check valve. Both times this happened to me it was fixed by putting my regulator on the line. Now I use it all the time.
Don't have a regulator. But gonna get one.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:07 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #12091
I’ve had this happen a few times on my 2017 Miramar. I always use a pressure regulator so that isn’t it. I haven’t checked for debris but I will in the future if it happens again. I’ve normally shut the City water supply off and ran off the pump to get the water level in the tank down. I wasn’t aware of the of the debris issue in the past. I was thinking that it might have been a problem with seals in the control valve where you switch between Normal and City Fixtures, Maybe not.[emoji848]
Old 10-28-2018, 10:14 PM   #11
Max

THOR #6984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilley-Dilley View Post
I’ve had this happen a few times on my 2017 Miramar. I always use a pressure regulator so that isn’t it. I haven’t checked for debris but I will in the future if it happens again. I’ve normally shut the City water supply off and ran off the pump to get the water level in the tank down. I wasn’t aware of the of the debris issue in the past. I was thinking that it might have been a problem with seals in the control valve where you switch between Normal and City Fixtures, Maybe not.[emoji848]
We did get water level down but the issue is it filled back up in fresh water after we rehooked to city water.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:32 AM   #12

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
This all depends on your setup: On my ACE water pump there is a low point drain on either side of the pump. The water seems to be backfeeding through the pump into the tank. If you have these 2 low point drains you can open the low point drain at the inlet of the pump. This would give you a flowpath from the city water to the pump outlet, back through the pump and out the inlet low point drain. If water flows out through the pump inlet low point drain this would indicate the pump internal check valve has failed. Now I also have an isolation valve that comes from the tank just before the pump. It is so you can use the bypass line to winterize the coach using the pump and not get antifreeze in the fresh water tank. Shut the low point drain you opened and close this valve...it's located before the pump strainer. This will prevent backfeeding into the fresh water tank if your pump check valve has failed. If you have this bypass line make sure the plug in the end of the bypass line is tight.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:10 AM   #13
Max

THOR #6984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonnemarc View Post
This all depends on your setup: On my ACE water pump there is a low point drain on either side of the pump. The water seems to be backfeeding through the pump into the tank. If you have these 2 low point drains you can open the low point drain at the inlet of the pump. This would give you a flowpath from the city water to the pump outlet, back through the pump and out the inlet low point drain. If water flows out through the pump inlet low point drain this would indicate the pump internal check valve has failed. Now I also have an isolation valve that comes from the tank just before the pump. It is so you can use the bypass line to winterize the coach using the pump and not get antifreeze in the fresh water tank. Shut the low point drain you opened and close this valve...it's located before the pump strainer. This will prevent backfeeding into the fresh water tank if your pump check valve has failed. If you have this bypass line make sure the plug in the end of the bypass line is tight.
Thank you. Could you send me a pic of what you are talking about? I can't seem to find this in the Thor manual. I appreciate in advance.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:02 AM   #14

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
ill snap a few pics tomorrow after work.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:41 AM   #15
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
We did get water level down but the issue is it filled back up in fresh water after we rehooked to city water.
So have you run the pump as suggested?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 05:06 AM   #16

THOR #2828
Send a message via Yahoo to Hanford Brace
Hanford Brace

You will find either debris or malconnected hoses. Try and get your plumbing diagram and see what valves should be on and which valves are supposed to be off. Logically trace your water entry at the gravity fill high on coach side and go from there. You can use logic to know what is on and off.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:27 AM   #17

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #13484
Water Pressure Regulator

I bought a good one from Amazon (I'm not promoting anyone, just where I purchased it from) and it works great for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Pressure Regulator.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	13710  
Old 10-29-2018, 12:25 PM   #18

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Yes, bought one just like it. Adjustable and worth the piece of mind in my opinion.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:49 AM   #19
Max

THOR #6984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
So have you run the pump as suggested?
Yes, do you have any idea how long I should run it?
Old 10-30-2018, 11:09 AM   #20
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Yes, do you have any idea how long I should run it?
2-3 minutes should be sufficient.