Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2019, 02:04 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Minnesota
THOR #5462
Whirlpool microwave convection overhead oven

I have a Whirlpool microwave convection overhead oven gold series in our 2016 Thor Palazzo. Just recently when I open the door the clock goes out and requires us to reset the clock will stay on as long as I don't open the door. Sometimes the timer doesn't count down. Do I have to replace this or is there a reset mode I can use. Is there a repair I can have done or do myself

I just cancelled my extended warranty because they don't repair anything or I have to travel 100 miles to a CW so that was no good and they probably wouldn't have fixed this either.

Looking for some help my husband isn't handy I need to hopefully repair this

Old 06-30-2019, 02:36 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Hi Well if your husband isn’t handy you should at least find him handsome.......or is that the other way around?

Anyway, I don’t know your microwave model at all but it seems very strange that opening the door would turn off the clock. Does the clock flash like there was a power failure after opening the door? Does it just go blank? I am wondering if your clock menu has an “energy saving” mode......and if yes try turning that off......might keep the clock on at least. Check your manual if you have one.

Regarding the count down random fail.......does it just stop counting down or does the clock just go blank.....like when you open the door? If it just goes blank maybe the energy save is causing that too? Failing that, it is possible that keypads and clock cct boards fail......so worst case might be a board change out by appliance repair folks. Best I can suggest.
Old 06-30-2019, 02:47 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
To help furrther, we may need more information like the model number or what features there are and what features still work. In the meantime try unplugging the unit, or turning the breaker off for about 30 minutes to see if it will reset. With the problem you describe, my first though is a faulty control board, probably could have been caused by a power surge.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:06 PM   #4

State: Minnesota
THOR #5462
Thanks my model # is YWMH76719CS-0 When i open the door the time goes off when I shut the door it flashes for me to reset the clock. I can cancel that then I just have a black screen with : sign. everything else works. I'm going to try the shut down for 30 minutes

I appreciate the input from both
Old 08-12-2021, 10:37 AM   #5
GKM

State: Kentucky
THOR #20704
Gkm

I have an Aria 4000 and the whirlpool Conv/microwave doesn't bake evenly now. I was told that it probably is the heating element. I called Whirlpool gave them the Model number and they said is was not a convection microwave.
I ask them how did we make brownies, biscuits, and pizza in this thing. They had no answer other than that model is not an Convection/Microwave.
Model YWMH78019HZ-0
Does anyone have any thoughts or help with this?
Old 08-12-2021, 01:30 PM   #6

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKM View Post
I have an Aria 4000 and the whirlpool Conv/microwave doesn't bake evenly now. I was told that it probably is the heating element. I called Whirlpool gave them the Model number and they said is was not a convection microwave.
I ask them how did we make brownies, biscuits, and pizza in this thing. They had no answer other than that model is not an Convection/Microwave.
Model YWMH78019HZ-0
Does anyone have any thoughts or help with this?

Well I don’t know much about convection microwave ovens, but when you locate an on line manual for your Model number it does say it is a convection microwave oven with settings for convection cooking. So perhaps you just got a tech at Whirlpool having a bad day when you inquired......try again and see if you get a different answer, or at least someone who can explain why you have convection settings on your unit, if its not a convection oven.
The other thing I find useful for any appliance trouble, is to look up on line appliance parts suppliers because some of them actually provide exploded diagrams of the complete appliance and all its parts for models they support. I had a quick look on line at your model and it does not list or show a discrete (stand alone) heating element like you would have in a conventional (non microwave) convection oven. So unless a heating element is part of the convection heat circulation fan in your microwave, I “suspect” your oven has no actual heating element. So probably the microwaves heat the food and the convection air fan inside the oven circulates the heated oven cavity air to provide a more even cook for baking applications. I would then suspect the convection oven fan or the controls that operate that fan (thermostat maybe?). Do you hear a fan when you just use standard microwave heating; and does that fan sound change when you use the convection only cook? If the fan stops or never starts/cycles during convection only cook then it might suggest a thermostat/control issue. Good luck.
Old 08-12-2021, 05:41 PM   #7

Model: Four Winds
State: California
THOR #24260
Dumb thought, check the plug, it might be hanging loose and when you shut the door, enough vibration causes loss of momentary connection.
Terry
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote