Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2016, 03:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31E
State: Louisiana
THOR #3298
Oxidation of front cap

I had been noticing some discoloration of the top of my front cap. I originally thought it was just dirty and need to be cleaned and waxed. After cleaning a waxing it is realize it is several fading/oxidation and it is slowly moving down the front cap.

I will be contacting thor and my dealer today to see what they are going to do about it. Has anyone else had this issue?

It's a 2015 four winds class c and I have owned for about 8 months.
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1464277174152.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	2088Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1464277180290.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	2089Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1464277188582.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	2090Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1464277192411.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	2091

Old 05-26-2016, 04:13 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Illinois
THOR #4282
I would think they will tell you to keep it waxed. Its fiberglass and fiberglass oxidizes. Boats are the same way. If you don't keep up with the wax they start to oxidize in no time. A little buffing with a cleaner wax will clean it up then you can put a coat of wax on it.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:46 PM   #3

Model: A.C.E 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #4139
2014 ACE and I have the same issue no matter how much I wax it. was like that when I bought it, keeping it waxed and cleaned now to try and prevent further.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:49 PM   #4

THOR #4282
Collinite Fleetwax is fantastic on boats. Don't see why it wouldn't be equally as good on RV's. It lasts a Long time. Just do small sections at a time. I did to big of a section first time using it and it was a pain to get off.

They also make a killer fiberglass cleaner wax that will get the oxidation off quickly.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:52 PM   #5

THOR #3298
Thanks for the replies. I have tried buffing and waxing (tried 3 different waxes) both by hand and a orbital buffer and It hasn't changed. After waxing it it still feels rough like all of the wax is getting absorbed.

Mine had a little when I bought it because it had sat on the deslers lot for almost a year. But it is quickly getting worse.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:55 PM   #6

Model: A.C.E 30.2
THOR #4139
Mine looks like the Gel coat on the Fiberglass is gone and will need a new coat to repair the issue. If keeping it waxed don't keep it from spreading I will look into a new finish.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:58 PM   #7

THOR #4282
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior30 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I have tried buffing and waxing (tried 3 different waxes) both by hand and a orbital buffer and It hasn't changed. After waxing it it still feels rough like all of the wax is getting absorbed.

Mine had a little when I bought it because it had sat on the deslers lot for almost a year. But it is quickly getting worse.

Try a high speed orbital buffer with compound. If that doesn't work then you will need to wetsand then compound. It sounds like you are not getting off all the oxidation before waxing so the wax is not sticking.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:45 PM   #8

Model: Chateau 23U
State: California
THOR #1490
Somebody here on this site recommended after a good waxing and the other option is applying a clear coat. I might try this only where the oxidation starts up to the roof seam.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:59 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
This is a problem that has been going on with all makes , models, and brands of RV's for some time. The manufacturers all received a batch of bad caps from their suppliers. They have repainted some for a few people and in the next instance refused to help.
I'm sorry to say, the only true fix is to have the cap painted.
People haven't banded together strong enough yet.
There is stouter means that need to be applied to some situations.
Old 05-27-2016, 02:07 AM   #10

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
yeah, another one here....
Mine came of the line march 2013, and I bought it new in June 2014. It had say on the dealer's lot a long time

When I 1st bought it, the thing looked great..... took just a month or so for whatever sort of protectant they detailed it with to wash away.

Even before this, my preference would have been for a white colored coach.... just on looks. Now it's for sure.... I would not pay extra for the color scheme, I figure white would still oxydize, but it would look better I think, easier to deal with.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:29 PM   #11

THOR #3298
Thanks for the replies. I didn't want a white Coach but know I'm thinking it would have been a better choice.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:31 PM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #4723
2013 Thor Fourwinds 31A - Same

Just adding my frustration to this topic. Same issue the cap oxidized within a year of owning the coach. At first I blamed myself for not keeping up with waxing it more than once a year but after several attempts and having professionals basically tell me they cannot fix it I am thinking of finding a company that makes vinyl car decals to cover the front cap. Anyone know if such a company?
Old 07-12-2016, 08:33 PM   #13

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #3186
I had the same problem even though it was treated with Perma Plate. Not happy with Perma Plate. Meguiars make s two product you might try. #49 is a heavy oxidation remover. Use it as directed and more than one application might be reqired. Follow this with #41 High Gloss Polish and apply as directed. These products are made for boats and RV's and are available from marine dealers and Amazon. Mine cleaned up nicely and I am very pleased.

I noticed that where I store the motorhome in Lucerne Valley, high desert, that the local trucking companies have red, white etc. color cabs, fiberglass and these things when not parked are hauling double bulk dumps filled with dry concrete mix. They all and there are probably 100 look beautiful, no oxidation. When the guys were Washington one I asked them what the did, they use Zeb Truck and Trailer Wash period, nothing else. I bought a gallon on line and I am going to try it out. Its a commercial truck was product.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:52 PM   #14

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
interesting that this thread came back up
Just over the weekend at a campground, i was admiring a class c, similar vintage to mine, that was white with fairly simple accent swooshes. Looked very nice and "clean", especially compared to my randomly faded and oxidized surfaces.... some worse than others...and I'm betting it tends to be a few degrees cooler to boot (it was a HOT weekend)
Old 07-13-2016, 04:32 PM   #15

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
All of the rv industry is having this problem with the tans & browns, the only permanent repair is to paint it with automotive paint, not sure how that would be on your MH.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:23 PM   #16

Model: Chateau 23U
THOR #1490
How about a clear coat instead of automotive paint? The back of mine is getting a little faded. I even have been waxing it every two months. but I keep mine covered. that doesn't seem to help. just worried about drying out and cracking. in a few years.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:15 AM   #17

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Michigan
THOR #2628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
I had the same problem even though it was treated with Perma Plate. Not happy with Perma Plate. Meguiars make s two product you might try. #49 is a heavy oxidation remover. Use it as directed and more than one application might be reqired. Follow this with #41 High Gloss Polish and apply as directed. These products are made for boats and RV's and are available from marine dealers and Amazon. Mine cleaned up nicely and I am very pleased.

I noticed that where I store the motorhome in Lucerne Valley, high desert, that the local trucking companies have red, white etc. color cabs, fiberglass and these things when not parked are hauling double bulk dumps filled with dry concrete mix. They all and there are probably 100 look beautiful, no oxidation. When the guys were Washington one I asked them what the did, they use Zeb Truck and Trailer Wash period, nothing else. I bought a gallon on line and I am going to try it out. Its a commercial truck was product.
I used the Meguiars as well, it worked well on our old RV. It was Brown and tan.

KC
Old 09-17-2016, 05:01 PM   #18

Model: Hurricane 34E
THOR #937
Oxidation

I live in bright and sunny Southern California. The sun is relentless and will eventually fade and oxidize all fiberglass if you don't stay ahead of the damage. Anywhere you find an RV storage lot in Southern CA you will see an ocean of white, (and now tan and grey late model), oxidized fiberglass!!

There is one fantastic remedy for newer fiberglass. If your RV or boat is less than four years old and the gel coat is still intact. It's NOT the typical compound polish and wax routine. Been there, done that.

It's 303 Aerospace Protectant.

It's not permanent, and it only lasts for a few weeks at a time, (hmmm, just like at a dealer lot). But it will restore late model newer fiberglass under four years old. And it's really easy to spray on and use a microfiber mop once you get into the routine.

Just spray it on the clean oxidized fiberglass. Let it soak in. Wipe off before it dries. Repeat until the surface is glossy and reflective again.

About a decade ago there were videos showing 303 Aerospace protectant being used with a buffer. You might be able to find the guy restoring a boat's gelcote. If you spray it on wet and use a buffer as it dries, the results are even better.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:51 AM   #19

THOR #3298
Thanks for the tip. I have some 303 never thought to try it. Like you said whatever the dealer had on it wore of 2-3 months after I took possession.

The Rv is currently at the dealer for some repairs before my one year warranty expires. I told the dealer I wanted it fixed and am waiting to hear what Thor response is. Not holding my breath though. I will report back once they let me know.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:51 AM   #20

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
What a waste of time and effort some of the suggested remedies entail. Once the gelcoat surface has deteriorated to the point it is rough to the touch, you can trowel wax on it and it won't make any difference. I'm surprised no replies thus far suggest some of the snake oil remedies which are nothing more than floor wax marketed under many different miracle "no hard buffing just wipe it on" products.

Thirty-five plus years boating in the tropics repairing and maintaining many boats has taught me the only fix when it's rough is sanding and painting with a good two part epoxy coating system. The gelcoat is very thin to begin with and when it's worn through, you can't bring it back.