Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2019, 07:51 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #13703
Wifi

I have a 2018 Thor Miramar 35.3 and I want to hook up a wireless modem can someone tell me where I connect this inside the motor home

Old 01-07-2019, 08:11 PM   #2
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by druganjk@gmail.com View Post
I have a 2018 Thor Miramar 35.3 and I want to hook up a wireless modem can someone tell me where I connect this inside the motor home
So assuming by 'wireless modem' you are referring to a cable modem that provides high speed internet and a wireless access point.
I have done this when spending months in a single location (snowbird for 3 months+ for several years) - installing a cable modem compatible with the campgrounds cable provider.
It is VERY sensitive to wiring issues - connections/wiring that will allow you to watch TV may not work at all with a cable modem/high speed internet. I had to run a dedicated wire from outside - thru (under) the slide and up to the 'AV/IT cabinet' that contains my normal cable wiring and switchbox.

If your existing wiring will work - the modem needs to be installed BEFORE the video switching...

Note this is only usable if you are at a campground that happens to have the same cable service you set it up for... If you are setting up for Spectrum (based on your other post) - and the campground has Comcast - it won't work.
Outside of our 'extended stays' - have not used it... Found a portable cellular hotspot to be much more viable (got in on the $20/month Mobley when it was offered.)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:11 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Alaska
THOR #13320
I would think that you may be referring to, what is called a MIFI. These devices are sold from most internet providers and are wireless access points, much like a phone connected to a major carriers network. They provide wireless internet to as many as 10 other phone, computers and the like. The only thing that actually needs to be connected to these devices is power. They operate on battery, but battery life is greatly reduced when several devices are connected. The other thing that can be connected to the MIFI is an external antenna. You can purchase these from Amazon or even your carried may have them available. If you are actually referring to a “modem” then follow the advice of the first post.