Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2018, 07:02 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37 LX
State: Florida
THOR #7853
Will this work? (Maybe a stupid idea)

I'm trying to figure out a way to use the stereo speakers located above the bed in the master to connect to the bedroom TV.

I'm thinking about running a set of wires from the Jenson stereo up to the bedroom TV audio output jacks. Was thinking of tapping into the wires leading from stereo to the speakers and using the speakers for listening to the TV since the axxera tv speakers suck. I think it would work as long as the TV and stereo aren't on at the same time. (Which they never are)

Any thoughts? Thanks.

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:12 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Easier to use an FM transmitter or Bluetooth, although I find an annoying delay with Bluetooth. We use an FM transmitter for the couch speakers up front.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:10 PM   #3

THOR #7853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Easier to use an FM transmitter or Bluetooth, although I find an annoying delay with Bluetooth. We use an FM transmitter for the couch speakers up front.
Would actually be easy to fish the wires to the TV, plus I have a few RCA jacks laying around..if it works.

<'))))>(
Old 06-05-2018, 08:19 PM   #4

State: California
THOR #10354
Speaker common wiring

Not a good solution. The active amplifier could damage the one that is off. This could either be an immediate or gradual damage problem. Just add a toggle switch and a IR receiver cover when the TV output is left open circuit.
The output stage of most amplifiers now is class C and as such could be reverse biased under external drive conditions. If the volume is kept very low , you may not experience any problems but as soon as you turn it up too high, *%$#%^&@.
I am a former IC amplifier designer.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:38 PM   #5

THOR #7853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehobe1 View Post
Not a good solution. The active amplifier could damage the one that is off. This could either be an immediate or gradual damage problem. Just add a toggle switch and a IR receiver cover when the TV output is left open circuit.
The output stage of most amplifiers now is class C and as such could be reverse biased under external drive conditions. If the volume is kept very low , you may not experience any problems but as soon as you turn it up too high, *%$#%^&@.
I am a former IC amplifier designer.
Thanks for the input ( pun intended)

A switch is also something I thought about. Something like an A-B switch ?

We never use the stereo in the bedroom. Only tried it out when we bought the RV to make sure it worked. The only other time I could see both tv and stereo being on at the same time is someone watching TV in the bedroom and someone watching TV outside since the stereo also powers the outdoor speakers, but it uses a different output from the stereo anyway.

<'))))>(
Old 06-05-2018, 11:00 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
This sounds like a worthwhile and very doable project: please let us know how it all comes together. The best of luck to you!

While we're at it: has anyone removed their outside TV from it's compartment, and mounted a bracket from which to hang their grill? My rig looks as if everything will fit... but I think that I'd need to reinforce the mounting points by a pretty significant amount. Has anybody got some suggestions?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:33 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Another idea you might consider is a small sound bar mounted under the tv. Having the sound bar mounted under the tv would project the sound toward the bed and would probably sound more natural than having the sound over your head.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:54 AM   #8

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
There are Bluetooth transmitters that are sold as low latency. I have not tried one. The pair I have delay a couple tenths of a second or so. I use when the TV is on more for sound than watching.
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:45 AM   #9

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
I think we found the answer to this one. For a couple of reasons needed to move the sound to the speakers above the bed in Challenger 37TB. It was WAY SIMPLiER than I thought it might have been. I simply used the headphone jack on the TV back in through our closet, down the backside of the closet, through the bottom of the closet and then underneath to the AUX input on the bedroom bluetooth. This unit has an A and a B set of speakers output. These outputs are to the speakers outside alongside the TV and then to the bedroom overhead speakers. Up until now the bluetooth unit in the bedroom has been just about useless. This works very well with no latency issues and no connection issues - it all winds up hard wired. Easy Peasy upgrade with very little cost and very little time to make it work.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:35 AM   #10

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Sounds like a great fix, glad it was so simple!
Old 06-06-2018, 10:02 AM   #11

THOR #1020
Super D - it really is an easy one. With the DWs hearing loss and the grand kids traveling with us, it was becoming very necessary.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:45 AM   #12

THOR #7853
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Super D - it really is an easy one. With the DWs hearing loss and the grand kids traveling with us, it was becoming very necessary.
Bigben, so if I'm understanding what you said, you used aux 1 to hook up the overhead speakers? Aux 2 in ours goes to the outside speakers.

BTW, l love our Bluetooth on the stereo. Not sure if you tried using the Jensen app. This allows you to use my phone to adjust volume while watching TV outside, listen to music outside, etc. from your phone.

<'))))>(
Old 06-06-2018, 10:59 AM   #13

THOR #1020
Yep - we have tried the speakers a couple of times to provide music when we are having some friends over for adult beverages using our cell as the jukebox. On our Jensen there are A and B speakers. The B speakers go to the over the bed speakers. After I ran the 3.5 jack cable (with a 90 degree connector), plugged it into the Aux port on the Jensen, I just selected the B speakers (deselecting the A), selected Aux input and bingo solid sound over the bed. Nice part is no Bluetooth connection issues. Also, doesn't disable any of the features of the Jensen.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:25 PM   #14

THOR #7853
Awesome.. I'm gonna give it a try..

<'))))>(
Old 06-06-2018, 01:28 PM   #15

State: Tennessee
THOR #10915
I can see why you would want to do this. I wondered about the same thing on my Thor. One thing to be careful of is the ohms/resistance of the connection... remember in parallel will cut the resistance in half so it its 8 ohms will appear as 4. In series it will double so you want to make sure it doesnt mess with the impedance seen by the output of the radio radio it connects to now or it will cause it to lower its output volume.

Andy
Old 06-06-2018, 02:34 PM   #16

THOR #7853
Bigben, where is the 2nd aux. input on your Jensen? Mine is on the front of the unit.. [emoji51]

<'))))>(
Old 06-07-2018, 01:49 AM   #17

THOR #1020
RV Pirate - yep the front AUX is the one we used. It works out nicely and allows you to disconnect should you need. I ordered a cable with a 90 degree connection. I ordered this one from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I then drilled a hole directly under the unit and fed the cable back through underneath the drawer. Worked GREAT.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:01 PM   #18

THOR #7853
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
RV Pirate - yep the front AUX is the one we used. It works out nicely and allows you to disconnect should you need. I ordered a cable with a 90 degree connection. I ordered this one from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I then drilled a hole directly under the unit and fed the cable back through underneath the drawer. Worked GREAT.
Thanks. That's probably what I'll do. I'm also considering putting in a RCA audio switch box, which would use the same connections as the outside TV and switch inputs back and forth as needed. Only downside might be someone watching TV outside at the same time as bedroom TV. Still thinking about that one.

Come to think of it, I guess it really doesn't matter which Input I use since the stereo will be using one or the other anyway.. Someone would have to "rough it" and use the TV speakers with both TV's on.. LOL

<'))))>(