Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2019, 11:12 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Virginia
THOR #9303
One side of awning will not extend

While camping this week I extended the awning on my Thor Vegas the first day with no problems. I retracted it that night, as I always do, and when I went to extend it on the second day, only one side started to extend and one side (the one above the door) would not extend. Has anyone had similar problems, or can anyone suggest what is wrong and how to fix it.

I appreciate any assistance or advice.

Old 08-11-2019, 01:19 PM   #2

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Havent heard of that before, could it be that when the awning comes in it snaps in place and the snap didnt release? Can you pull the arm out physically?
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 01:44 PM   #3

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
If it's making a click, click...noise, reach up and help it, BE CAREFULL and don't ask me how I know.
More later if this works.
Old 08-11-2019, 03:01 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbest1va View Post
While camping this week I extended the awning on my Thor Vegas the first day with no problems. I retracted it that night, as I always do, and when I went to extend it on the second day, only one side started to extend and one side (the one above the door) would not extend. Has anyone had similar problems, or can anyone suggest what is wrong and how to fix it.

I appreciate any assistance or advice.
It usually happens when the rubber bumper located at the intersection of the two arms of the forward mount is located on the outside of the roll. The correct location of the bumper is on the coach side of the roll to prevent the arms from damaging the coach's side. As the awning roll moves outward the bumper will keep the outer portion of the arm from extending. As the awning continues to extend, the roll will reach the max extension of the inner part of the arm and the rubber arm will finally ride under the roll and the roll will snap tight with great force possibly break or bend the arm. The solution is to extend the patio awning about 6 inches then stop it and with a long poll push up on the roll. This will allow the rubber bumper to slip under the roll and snap the awning tight. The permanent fix is to realign the forward arm in accordance with the factory service guide. <https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/documents/Latitude-Service.pdf>
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:24 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Virginia
THOR #9303
Thanks. Its working correctly now.

Thanks to all those who provided help. I went back out to where I store my RV to do a couple of things, and checked to see if the awning would extend and it did. I am guessing that the awning may have some type of a level or sensor that may keep it from extending? whatever happened between moving it from the campground and the storage lot must have made a difference.

Hopefully it will not happen again, but I have something to consider if it does.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:14 PM   #6

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbest1va View Post
Thanks to all those who provided help. I went back out to where I store my RV to do a couple of things, and checked to see if the awning would extend and it did. I am guessing that the awning may have some type of a level or sensor that may keep it from extending? whatever happened between moving it from the campground and the storage lot must have made a difference.

Hopefully it will not happen again, but I have something to consider if it does.
Great news! Rv's always do what they want when they want lol
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote