Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2019, 10:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New York
THOR #14683
Windshield Leak

I posted this in the wrong section, I'm sorry.

A leak has developed in the upper exterior rubber gasket of the windshield on my 2018 Vegas. It appears that the seal around the gasket separated. I have resealed it with windshield sealer until I can workout the details with Thor and the warranty. My next problem is that the headliner is full of water and dripping. I need to release that now and inspect it for damage.
Anyone ever pull the headliner buttons. Mine are in super tight and I don't want to damage the clip or the headliner.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Jim

Old 06-22-2019, 10:06 PM   #2

State: New York
THOR #14683
I spoke to a windshield rep and he said, depending on the type of gasket, the top is usually sealed from side to side. The sides and bottom should be a tight friction fit. Also, there should be a small gap between the ends of the gasket where they meet in the bottom center of the windshield. This acts as a weep hole. If the ends meet anywhere but the bottom its installed incorrectly. I've since sealed the crack with windshield sealer until I can speak with Thor. It looks like it sealed up nicely. I haven't attempted the headliner clips yet.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:22 AM   #3

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I have had the windshield leak on every MH I ever had - hardly a comprehensive sample but persuasive to me. Personally I think it’s because that huge hunk of glass has absolutely no flex whatsoever whilst the frame and front cap (class A) has quite a bit. It seems destined to fail. I use windshield seal and it fixes it every time. It’s great stuff, like really thin and runny silicone that flows where the water goes and then sets up like the regular stuff. I use it on my side windows as well and for the same reason.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:09 AM   #4

Model: 29m
State: California
THOR #16201
When you use the windshield sealant do you put it on the inside and the outside of the front window.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:49 PM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinetools1 View Post
When you use the windshield sealant do you put it on the inside and the outside of the front window.

I use it only on the outside of the vehicle applying it to the glass/gasket joint all the way around and the gasket/body on the top and sides only. Perhaps that’s what you meant by inside and outside (of the gasket). On my current class A it used a surprising amount of the stuff. About a full tube! But it worked a treat. Good luck.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:26 PM   #6

Model: 29m
State: California
THOR #16201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I use it only on the outside of the vehicle applying it to the glass/gasket joint all the way around and the gasket/body on the top and sides only. Perhaps that’s what you meant by inside and outside (of the gasket). On my current class A it used a surprising amount of the stuff. About a full tube! But it worked a treat. Good luck.
Thank you very much for the info. What brand did you use of window sealant. This way I can get something I know is going to work.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:34 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I had to use some sealant on my the front of my Axis windshield as well. I didnt want to hassel with my local Camping World and it took care of the leak just fine.

I did remove the "Buttons" on my bulk head. They are plastic and pop on and off pretty easy. Use a flat blade screw driver and pop off. It will reveil a philips head screws. I took mine down and installed a ton of heat and sound insulation in it. It helped some not as dramatic as I hoped it would be.

Check to see if your clearance lights are leaking into this area.

You should be able to open it up and let it air dry for a few days if it is wet inside (I dont think mine would get wet unless its the clearance lights leaking - but its been a year or more since I opened it up).

Not sure if you would see any damage once dry. It might show water stains on the wood inside but once you close it up you wont see it.

Let us know what you find and how you fixed it so others can learn.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote