Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-03-2019, 12:55 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Vegas 25.2
State: Michigan
THOR #14701
Changed oil and more

Decided to change the oil in my new to me 2017 Vegas today just because I didn’t trust stealership had done it before my purchase of it.
Over all it went well but ended up replacing the drain plug as the threads looked like they were stripped out. Luckily I had a spare on hand for my F-250 which turns out is the same plug.
While in the front I discovered that the left air duct hose was disconnected on the dash end. Couldn’t see the attach point so removed the wheel well cover to get at it.
Sheesh- they could have made these hoses about 6 inches longer!
All back together and ready to roll!

My book says 6 quart capacity for the 6.8 V-10 but it shows about halfway up the hashed area on the dipstick.
How much is common to put back in?
By the way- oil looked well used!
Here is a pic of the bad plug and the part no. Of the spare I had.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2C9EAE18-FF04-4137-9F00-990CBE1BF955.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	16452   Click image for larger version

Name:	EEAE4095-D0FF-450C-88F3-A21C7E642C1B.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	16453  

Old 04-03-2019, 02:48 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.2
State: California
THOR #14761
Good job do as much as possible regarding servicing your MH, save $ . You will be changing out the old break-in oil, the manufacture would never use a synthetic oil for new engine break-in. I believe the engine oil capacity is closers to 7.5 including the oil filter. Let it drain for at least 20 min when hot or at least warm. I live and CA, and use 10/50w or 5/50w Mobile 1 oil, I change every 5000 to 7000 miles. have fun Bryan
Miramar 2017 34.2, roadmaster front & rear sway bars, sumo shock, Roadmaster stabilizer bar, Koni shocks, F150 crewcab coyote motor , 2004 40th #26th edition 911, E350 2 door coupe, Mini Paceman 2013 6 speed manual toad/ RV
SANDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 03:50 AM   #3

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Oil

I was confused by what the manual said regarding six quarts capacity too. Reality is that it is a total of seven with the oil filter. As far as what kind of oil, it is widely accepted to go by what is on the oil filler cap which will also be different than the manual. The days of going with a higher weight oil because of a hot climate went away about 30 years ago due to modern engine design and engineering.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:20 AM   #4

Model: 22FE
State: New York
THOR #5330
Also check to make sure the dip stick is the proper one, my last Ford V-10 has a shorter stick and always read i was down a quart. After checking the oil on a trip daily I was always short and I added a quart, next day down a quart, added another and so on for about a week. Learned the dip stick was short. Go figure Ford.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:00 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #3584
I have replaced my drain plug with a Fumoto Valve, easy to use and clean. I have attached the website
https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/
Old 04-03-2019, 02:31 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
Manual on my Vegas says 6 quarts. Someone told me the 3v v10 in F53 takes 7. When I drain hot, I never get 6 out. But 6 refill puts it at full mark on stick. After initial oil change (less than 2,000 miles but 18 moths chassis age), oil always looks clean. I now change between 4,000 to 5,000 miles.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:47 AM   #7

Model: 2017 Vegas 25.2
State: Michigan
THOR #14701
I did add another half quart today to bring it up to the full mark on the dip stick. That’s 6.5 quarts total.
Tackled changing the air filter today. Struggled for an hour trying to get the two halves of the housing back together! Just would not slip together and allow the band clamp to work. I remembered I had some K&N air filter grease/sealant so I put a little on each half of the air box joint! Walla! Slipped together first try.
Passing this on so that others may avoid the grief I was experiencing!

I totally forgot about the Fumoto drain plug! Will install next time!

Thanks to all for the replies! I have learned heaps from you all on this Forum!

RV season is getting started here in Michigan. 60’s this weekend. We may go for a trial run!
Hope everyone has a enjoyable and safe RV season with great new adventures!

Always remember and never forget- every American should get behind the wheel of an RV! (I think that’s how Jeff Daniels says it)