Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2019, 09:04 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #11431
windsport flor crown

windsport 29m class a. anyone have an idea how to remove a crown in the center of our floor, it runs length ways. its about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. looking under the it looks as the floor is made up of to pieces of plywood on each side of the tubing frame and on the bottom side the screws look to be no existant in the middle of the coach where the crown up is. but my problem with just adding bolts is the vinyl flooring. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and i'm not 100 percent sure that is what i would need to do to fix it. there seems to be no water damage or soft spots.
thanks

Old 07-12-2019, 04:40 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a nasty problem. If I understand it correctly......flooring plywood pieces meet along the top of a floor support bracket underneath, but there are no screws securing the flooring plywood pieces to the brackets and the flooring wood has lifted.
One suggestion might be to install a couple "metal inserts" into the plywood flooring on either side of the flooring support bracket, “carefully” sized not to come through your flooring topside. (Hope they used 3/4" plywood decking but you need to make sure). Then use a strong metal bracket strapped across the underside of the flooring support bracket and bolt that cross bracket into the flooring threaded inserts at both ends. If you did that in a couple strategic locations along the high spot you might be able to pull the lifted area back down onto the top of the coach flooring support bracket. Of course choosing and installing the correct threaded inserts into the flooring plywood would be “no fun” from below, and you would need to match the bolt length used to pass through the added cross brackets to the depth of threaded inserts and amount of “pull down” required to re-level the floor. Bending ears onto the cross bracket might be required to adjust that tightening depth adjustment. This is probably about as clear as mud?

The other option is using a "wood threaded dowel screw" instead of the inserts. Threads into the plywood floor below like a wood screw, but has a threaded half that you could use a matching nut on to suck the floor down to the cross brackets noted previously. Others may have better fastener and adjustment suggestions.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:47 PM   #3

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
I guess they are better known as hanger bolts......wood screw on one end and machine threads on the other half. See attached Home Depot link:

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Hardware...s/N-5yc1vZc27n
Old 07-13-2019, 01:16 PM   #4

Model: Windsport 34E
State: North Carolina
THOR #13360
The hanger bolt Javelen mentioned should work if you can get enough of them in the areas that have raised. I would suggest trying one or two under the cabinets to make sure you don't use too long a bolt into the plywood.
I'd install several then slowly tighten each bolt so you don't over power each one.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:26 PM   #5

State: Missouri
THOR #11431
thanks for you ideas i will check to see what the screws are and how i could do it.

Tags
floor bow or uneven