Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2015, 12:01 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Vegas Fresh Water Pump

We have just put 5000 miles on our Vegas and are in Canada with a few thousand left to go to Alaska. The only real problem that we have had so far is the fresh water pump started to leak about three weeks into our trip. We are out of warrantee and I wasn't willing to try to get Thor to replace it, so I bought a new Surflow pump and installed it and it works fine. However, when I read the installation instructions for the pump, it says in big black capital letters, Do not connect plastic water lines directly to the inflow side of the pump. Put a piece of flexible hose between the plastic line and the pump. In addition, make sure that you secure the plastic pipe to the floor or wall. Failure to do so could lead to excess vibration from the pump to the plastic pipe leading to leaks in the pipe and/or damage to the pump. What a surprise..., Thor connected the plastic pipe directly to the pump and did not secure any pipe or electric line in my Vegas. I am not sure if it was a cheap pump or the installation or both! But, you might think about putting a piece of flexible hose between the plastic pipe and pump and securing the plastic pipe. It might save you the price of a new pump.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:36 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
We are just shy of 6000 miles on our Axis so far no issues with the water pump but we don't use it that much--typically only while going down the road. Of the campgrounds we frequent during the year only one of them doesn't have water hookup.

Having said that I'll have to check the connections the next time I'm at the camper.

When we first picked up the Axis the strainer leaked: It wasn't tight enough (I think the dealer cleaned it out but didn't tighten it enough).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:13 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
We lost the water pump 1500 miles into a 3000 mile trip this month. Since our unit is still under warranty it should be covered. Thor sent me to a shop very near my breakdown location in Southwest Texas. The shop showed me shavings from drilling the input and output holes into the freshwater tank.

They said they were inside the pump and filled the line going onto the pump. I had just emptied old fresh water into the black and gray tanks so help clean them before dumping. I think the shavings usually float but since I had used the pump to empty the fresh water tank the shavings entered the pump as the water emptied.

I am sure there are till shavings in the tank but as long as you don;t empty the freshwater by using the pump it should not cause a problem. There is a filter for water entering the tank, as noted by another poster but no filter for water leaving th tank through the pump.

The shavings were the same color as the freshwater tank and were obviously from drilling the input/output holes. I have a handful that the shop saved to show me.