Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2016, 07:34 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.2
State: New Hampshire
THOR #5447
Winter Covers? yes or no?

I am looking for opinions on using a winter cover for outside storage in New England. Thor Ace 29.2. Seems to be different opinions as to the value or not.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:55 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yes RV covers is another topic that has many opinions (sometimes strong).

In our case: We had a Cougar 5th wheel that we covered for the first winter we had it. About January there was a big windstorm that ripped our cover off and tangled it all up with the cover of the RV sitting next to ours (that also got ripped off). The corners of the unit got all warn with the cover rubbing on it. After that I never covered the 5th wheel.

Fast forward about 15 years: All the outside decals of the 5th wheel are all faded and peeling, the hatches all had to be replaced because they got so brittle they all cracked. Inside all the wallpaper is faded, and anywhere the sun could touch was either faded or bleached.

Today: For the past two winters we've covered our Axis (will be putting the cover back on in a few weeks for this winter; making 3 winters). In addition during the summer we keep all the windows blocked, and the hatches blocked to keep as much sunlight out as possible during summer storage.

So far so good: When I remove the cover in the spring the Axis still looks like its brand new--granted its a few months shy of its 3rd birthday which isn't long enough to really see any UV effects.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:36 AM   #3

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: California
THOR #3681
This is a subject with some strong opinions, but you really have to look at your case.

If you have ice,snow and rain with heavy winds then covers are great as water always seems to find that one gap somewhere on the unit and get inside your walls.

As far as fading, the UV protection in the fiberglass and gel-coats work better than before as well as the decals. Anything built in the early to mid 2000's will oxidize heavily and all plastic will yellow. But good wax and 303 on the decals will keep newer units going strong in the sun. Not perfect, but much better than before. That's why dealers offer a protection kit at low cost for 5 to 7 years no fading.

In warm desert type environments the real issue with covers is things like brown recluse and black widows making the cover a home. Insects lover to get the shade and the spiders know that. I stopped using tire covers for the same reason as all four had a black widow in it after just one month.

Just my 2 cents.
2018 Thor Challenger 37KT
gauthig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:45 PM   #4

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
I am in the "no cover" camp I guess. We are SW Florida transplants but never covered RVs or our boats in the winter when we were up north.

Now in the hot summer months down here UV damage is the big problem. Good wax for the finish plus I get on my roof every month and wipe 303 on all my skylights and plastic covers. Short of keeping my coach in covered storage I think it is about the best I can do.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:46 PM   #5

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
I'm of the no cover camp since we live in the land of wind and I see
what it does to the finish on a RV. I do have those vent covers that
allow the vents to be left open to allow fresh air inside. And those seem
to survive the UV rays pretty good. I've never had one crumble apart
but I have had stock vent covers by them self crumble apart after a
number of years.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:36 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
If it gets windy where you live, then no cover. I don't care how good you tie down a cover, in windy conditions it will get loose and tear. An alternative is getting a big rectangular cover to put over the top to protect AC and vents, will be a LOT cheaper and still protect the most vulnerable areas. Stap down snugly and check often.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:19 PM   #7

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
I'm in the no cover group. I have never used a cover on my MH. We have lots of wind and snow and I have never seen the need to cover the MH.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:33 PM   #8

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
CW does sell covers just for the A/C units, I would consider one of those.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 02:29 PM   #9

Model: Axis 24.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #4184
Hi Jamie,

I have not posted in a while. We have had a fabulous summer rving with our new 24.1 axis and now sadly , it is time to put it away. We can not store the RV in our driveway (HOA restrictions). We looked into covered and uncovered storage. We have decided on uncovered storage with an RV cover. I noticed in one of your previous posts, that your cover is a class c cover and you provided a link to it , it is no longer available. We were looking at Elements All Climate RV Cover, Class C, 23'-26' - Elements Covers 69271 - RV Covers - Camping World , an Elements All Climate RV cover Class C 23'-26' (there is also a slightly more premium version of it) Is this the brand and type you bought. I thought I would check with you. I would hate to get it home and have a fit problem. Thanks for the advice!
Old 10-23-2016, 02:44 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Yeah they don't make the one we got 3 years ago now. It was an Adco cover. The closest thing to our cover now would be here:
Class C RV Covers, Class C Motorhome Covers
Item # 34813
(I think the one a little shorter would be too short for a 24.1)
Old 10-23-2016, 05:09 PM   #11

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: California
THOR #3681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Saran View Post
CW does sell covers just for the A/C units, I would consider one of those.
As I am in the no cover camp, I do think I will get two of these. The Key to the A/C is to keep the coils clean. The plastic cover does it most of the time but with wind and dust blowing at all directions, I think this will help and easy to put on / take off. Just need to add a post it note to the A/C controls so I don't turn them on with the cover still on
2018 Thor Challenger 37KT
gauthig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:27 PM   #12

THOR #4184

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post

In our case: We had a Cougar 5th wheel that we covered for the first winter we had it. About January there was a big windstorm that ripped our cover off and tangled it all up with the cover of the RV sitting next to ours (that also got ripped off). The corners of the unit got all warn with the cover rubbing on it. After that I never covered the 5th wheel.

Fast forward about 15 years: All the outside decals of the 5th wheel are all faded and peeling, the hatches all had to be replaced because they got so brittle they all cracked. Inside all the wallpaper is faded, and anywhere the sun could touch was either faded or bleached.

Today: For the past two winters we've covered our Axis (will be putting the cover back on in a few weeks for this winter; making 3 winters). In addition during the summer we keep all the windows blocked, and the hatches blocked to keep as much sunlight out as possible during summer storage.

So far so good: When I remove the cover in the spring the Axis still looks like its brand new--granted its a few months shy of its 3rd birthday which isn't long enough to really see any UV effects.
Quote:
Yeah they don't make the one we got 3 years ago now. It was an Adco cover. The closest thing to our cover now would be here:
Class C RV Covers, Class C Motorhome Covers
Item # 34813
(I think the one a little shorter would be too short for a 24.1)
Hi Jamie
I checked 34813 out and it looks like a nice cover but I was concerned about the width which is noted as 102 inches. Which would be find but the side mirrors put it over that amount. I am wondering if that was the specified width on the one you bought? Maybe there is enough wiggle room to account for mirrors. Thoughts?
Old 10-23-2016, 07:04 PM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Yeah there is plenty of room since the cover is a bit longer than the coach. It isn't snug at all:

(It looks snug here because there are straps you tighten up to snug everything--note the front straps.)
Old 10-23-2016, 07:34 PM   #14

THOR #4184
Thx

Thanks Jamie, your quick response is very much appreciated. I'm off to place the order.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:06 PM   #15

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
I don't have motorhome, but don't the mirrors fold in like on most vehicles?
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:45 PM   #16

THOR #4184
You would think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
I don't have motorhome, but don't the mirrors fold in like on most vehicles?
Good question , you would think so .... One of the first questions I asked the dealer when I was thinking of buying it. But no they do not completely fold in.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:53 PM   #17
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Yeah: The Axis/Vegas mirrors don't fold. Its a solid arm holding them out. They don't really stick out that much, however.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:48 PM   #18

State: Saskatchewan
THOR #24531
Quote:

What cover did you buy. We have a vegas 25.2?
Old 09-20-2021, 07:16 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Nope... not here... no way... no how!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:31 PM   #20

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Here's a couple things that prevented me from using a cover;
1 they are a heavy bulky bundle to carry up a ladder
2 not physically able or willing to handle that heavy bulky bundle
3 not willing to hopscotch all the protrusions on the roof
4 wrestling that bulky bundle on the roof 10-13' off the ground
5 can it be removed for an early spring trip if it's still covered with snow/ice
6 if in windy area will it last more than one season.
Put my vote in the NO COVER box!
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote