Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-05-2016, 10:04 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini
State: Washington
THOR #4766
Winterizing 2016 Gemini

I winterized my Gemini yesterday for the first time and thought I'd share a couple of things ran into. First of all, the panel on the left side of the back of the coach storage is very hard to get out and to put back. It looks to be made of 5/8ths inch plywood which I will need to sand so that it's not so difficult to remove & replace. Once inside, I was surprised to see two valves. I read some time ago of a forum members description of his valve arrangement and I believe he mentioned having one valve that flowed into the black water tank. In my case, both valves (hot & cold?) drained directly to ground below. Apart from that, the rest of the process went as expected. Winterized just in time as we're below freezing overnights now here in the Seattle area at this time.

Cheers,

Jimboe.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:11 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
What color was the pipes connecting to the two valves (red and blue perhaps?) Red = hot water, blue = cold.
Hot and cold valves that drain to the ground are the low-point drains. These valves are typically located on the lowest point of the fresh water system. You can use them to completely drain the system of water (although I'd use a compressor to dry it out in the process).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:24 PM   #3

THOR #4766
Both pipes are white. I thought about using a compressor but a tech from Girard sent a service manual for the tankless water heater and it mentioned that they advised using antifreeze as there have been cased where folks using compressors didn't get all the water out and suffered expensive damage not covered by the warranty. I contacted Thor last week to get information on the water system and winterizing. I didn't get info from them until just now but was happy to see that I had properly winterized. Got a nice pdf of the water layout which seems to match your description of the hot and cold drains.

Thanks again,

Jimboe
Old 02-07-2017, 02:43 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 24FS
State: Georgia
THOR #5981
Jimboe: My Gemini has the same very tight panel. I plan to trim about 1/8" off both directions until I get an easier fit.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:12 PM   #5

THOR #4766
Thanks, sounds like a good plan. I need to do the same. Jimboe
Old 09-25-2021, 07:44 PM   #6

State: Alabama
THOR #19593
I need help to find out how to winterize my 2018 Gemini

I just tried to winterize my Thor Gemini. I see the tubes under the RV to empty the fresh water tanks and to empty the water lines. I do not see the valves to let the water out? I assume the valves must be in the coach. I did open the panel in the rear that I hear people talk about. I did turn that valve but no water. I need help. I need clear instructions, please!!!!
Old 09-25-2021, 09:01 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
What model Gemini?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 09:06 PM   #8

THOR #19593
Gemini 23 Tr

We have a Gemini 23 TR
Old 09-25-2021, 09:20 PM   #9

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
I have a 2019 Compass. There's one large red valve in the back behind the snug fitting panel. Open that and the water from the fresh water tank will drain. (I usually open mine and take a quick 10 minute drive to slosh as much water out as possible.)
There's a drawer under the sink (I think just to the right of the sink.) Pull that drawer out. There should be 2 valves visible. Those are your low water drain valves. I open mine and leave them open.
I then use compressed air to blow the lines out. And finally (I live in extremely cold conditions) I run the anti freeze through the lines. I always leave all the taps (including the outside shower) open. If I've messed up (which is a lot more common these days), open valves will release any pressure in the lines and may save a rupture.
Hope that helps.
Old 09-25-2021, 09:32 PM   #10

THOR #19593
Thank you

Thank you I will try and look for the red valve in the back and pull the drawer out in the kitchen. Thanks again.....
Old 12-15-2021, 12:24 AM   #11

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: Arizona
THOR #14425
Send a message via Skype™ to JimSpy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaEricFunBox View Post
I just tried to winterize my Thor Gemini. I see the tubes under the RV to empty the fresh water tanks and to empty the water lines. I do not see the valves to let the water out? I assume the valves must be in the coach. I did open the panel in the rear that I hear people talk about. I did turn that valve but no water. I need help. I need clear instructions, please!!!!
I think the only fresh water drain valve is the one in the back panel. And I think there's only one of them (at least on my Gemini). You should get some water draining out when you open that, unless...your tank is already empty?
Thor Gemini 23TR
RVing since 2018
JimSpy is offline   Reply With Quote